• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Even over here silencers are not as heavily regulated.
    I can buy a .22 silencer shipped to my house for $50 plus shipping.
    You just need to be over 18 and show a copy of your hunting/shooting licence.
    No tax other than the VAT included in the price, no background check or registration.

But they should be as regulated as earmuffs.I shouldn't have to show my ID to buy one.
    Can you buy one for me, then mail it to me? I'll pay the international charges and wire you the money.
    Hopefully the ATF know that purple = sarcasm. I wish our .gov would get on board with suppressors being hearing protection.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How does that work with the sbr? Do you own it personally and jump through the hoops or is it owned by the department and they don't have the same rules?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Well nobody should have to pay a $200 tax to get the right to purchase a product to protect one's hearing.

I wasn't sure if the police was exempt of stamps to purchase NFA items.

Correct. Police departments are exempt from any NFA taxes, but the items must be purchased and owned by the agency. Rebel Silencers was offering their 5.56mm can for $100 to police departments.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Correct. Police departments are exempt from any NFA taxes, but the items must be purchased and owned by the agency. Rebel Silencers was offering their 5.56mm can for $100 to police departments.

Well it makes sense.
    Otherwise if a federal agency wanted to buy NFA items the government would have to pay taxes to itself.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

What he said /\

Like right now, I’m trying to piece together a better quality rifle and optic for patrol. I want to SBR it (thanks VUPD), and maybe one day get a can. That being the case, I have to source/build it, file the paperwork, pay the tax(es), then qualify it with the department (and that’s IF they even allow SBRs), THEN I can use it for duty work. All for an extra $200-$400, just to have the best equipment.

We really should just be able to use AR pistols. The NFA is the debbil...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What he said /\

Like right now, I’m trying to piece together a better quality rifle and optic for patrol. I want to SBR it (thanks VUPD), and maybe one day get a can. That being the case, I have to source/build it, file the paperwork, pay the tax(es), then qualify it with the department (and that’s IF they even allow SBRs), THEN I can use it for duty work. All for an extra $200-$400, just to have the best equipment.

We really should just be able to use AR pistols. The NFA is the debbil...

Well you shouldn't even have to buy your own stuff especially when it comes to weapons.

Soldiers don't have to bring their own tanks. :dunno:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Well you shouldn't even have to buy your own stuff especially when it comes to weapons.

Soldiers don't have to bring their own tanks. :dunno:

The main thing I don't like about individual officers being able to provide their own rifles/gear is that they seem to invariably buy cheap junk.

Officers on my PD can't supply their own rifles (the only officers on the PD that use their own rifles for work are the snipers, although that is about to change), but tend to come to range all the time with $40 optics they bought from Walmart. I'm always the bad guy when I tell them to take that crap off the rifle.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The main thing I don't like about individual officers being able to provide their own rifles/gear is that they seem to invariably buy cheap junk.

Officers on my PD can't supply their own rifles (the only officers on the PD that use their own rifles for work are the snipers, although that is about to change), but tend to come to range all the time with $40 optics they bought from Walmart. I'm always the bad guy when I tell them to take that crap off the rifle.

There must be more downsides to having to provide your own rifle.
    If the rifle gets stolen from a patrol car? Is covered by the officer's insurance? The department? :dunno:
    Or if it's used to shoot a suspect isn't it now seized as evidence so you need to buy another one until you can get it back?

Buying your own rifle is not like buying your own pens for the job, there's more legal ramifications I would imagine.
    Especially if you get a SBR, silencer or other more regulated stuff.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That reminds me of a coworker that went to another department about six or seven years ago. When he got issued his patrol rifle he brought it over for me to look at. It was a 100% Vietnam era M-16. It was amazing just to see it.

Was he able to update the upper and buttstock to make it a more efficient tool, but keep the lower and guts to retain the happiness?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Almost every issued rifle on my department is a Vietnam-era Colt from the DRMO. They are neutered though, and that empty third pin hole just looks lonely.

In fact, we just had two patrol rifle classes (adding 20 officers per class) and bringing your own rifle was a requirement. We are fairly well regulated on what equipment we can have on the rifle, and each complete setup has to be blessed by our armory.

I have no issue with some of the less expensive rifle options like S&W or Bushmaster but cheap chi-com garbage optics and other parts have no place on a business rifle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom