• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mcglockin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    From a guy I've bought 6 guns from, and brought in several friends who have bought off him, I am finally done with this place. The customer service is horrible, he will tell you one price on the phone, other times he claims he can't because dealers won't buy from him, but then when you come in the price is higher than his quote, and he will tell you any and everything he can to try and justify the BS you catch him on. Anyone who has better prices then him he claims to beat, but when you get in there, they either have "blems" or "gun show guns" and they aren't the same as what he has. :dunno: Anyone else have any issues?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't take it too bad. You are fortunate in that the Fort Wayne area has quite a few awesome shops.

There are a couple of site supporters in the area along with Ranger Supply, Tomlinson's in Busco, Hillside in Roanoke, and I have also been hearing good things about what used to be H & H.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I used to use Ed for everything. Sent him tons of business as well. Like you, I am absolutely done with him. Two trips ago he acted like an arrogant ......... well I will leave it at that. The next and last trip he acted like a total prick. Spent thousands of dollars in his shop and the last two trips I was looking for a different gun both times both over a grand. I wont be treated like that again and I am happy to spread the word. Thank God we have a couple new shops in the area now with real customer service!!

Mcglockin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    The last straw for me was when he talked me into a gun I didn't really want but kept saying it was a "great investment" so I put some money down on layaway to lock in the price, when I told him I really didn't want it but wanted to purchase another gun for $700 bucks and had cash in hand, he charged me a $50 fee for holding the last gun for 30 days. I could understand if he had to special order or something but he had several in stock.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The last straw for me was when he talked me into a gun I didn't really want but kept saying it was a "great investment" so I put some money down on layaway to lock in the price, when I told him I really didn't want it but wanted to purchase another gun for $700 bucks and had cash in hand, he charged me a $50 fee for holding the last gun for 30 days. I could understand if he had to special order or something but he had several in stock.

Well, kinda sounds like you're partially to blame also. He is a salesman and you never want to let any salesman talk you into anything you don't really want...

Also, you want to know the value of something before going. he will also happily take as much from you as he thinks he can get...

Like said above, try checking out a few of the great shops in the area... A few trips into a few of them, and you'll forget Ed really quick... :)

BTW, Welcome to the site.... Don't let this negative experience discourage you, but rather get out to the other shops.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Bought my first gun from him, no issues at all really. But PM LotsofGlocks on here. He has an FFL in Ft Wayne and his prices are going to be very hard to beat. Just got another gun from him yesterday. He has to order stuff but its only a few days to get it. From my experience he is usually cheaper out the door than every other shop in town before tax.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    He's a complete and total nut case and will NEVER see a penny of my money. Tried to deal with him a couple of years ago and most of what was said above is spot on to how he does business.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I stopped dealing with him after his "Book" didnt list the RIA commander size 1911 (after he had told me to come out to the shop to do the paperwork) therefore it didnt exist.I had seen one at a gunshow & couldnt tell him otherwise.That was the last drive I made there.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've bought several guns from Ed over the years. I don't mind doing business with him but if you go in there, you better be as smart as he is. You have to understand his business model and be able to operate within it. If you don't, won't, or can't then shop somewhere else (but you could end up paying more).

1. This isn't a browse-around-and-decide-what-you-want shop. It is a know-what-you-want-before-you-walk-in shop.
    2. Ed isn't particularly interested in selling guns to Fort Wayne gang-bangers. Clean up a little and pull your pants up before you go in. In will go better for you.
    3. Know what gun you want. Research what you can buy it for at other shops.
    4. Call Ed. Tell him you want a <maker/model> gun. Confirm that the exact gun in stock (e.g., the DAO stainless one with the steel frame).
    5. Tell him over the phone the price you need him to beat (e.g. lower than the best price you found somewhere else).
    6. Ask him if he will beat that price? If he says yes, you set an appointment. If he says "no" go back to the other place and buy your gun. Do not expect him to quote you a price on the phone. He has never done it with me, and I've been a good repeat customer, get along with him well, & honor his business plan.
    7. Set the appointment for as soon after the phone call as you can so he remembers the price conversation with you.
    8. Walk in and say, "Hi, I'm John Doe. I called about the <make/model> you said you could sell me for <$price>.
    9. Once you walk in, he expects you to walk out with a gun. Like I said, it's not a browse and shop place.
    10. Ed is in the business of making a profit. If you haven't done your homework, aren't sure what you want and don't know your top dollar, he will make a buck if he has a chance. It is the American way. :patriot:
    You can win at chess, but you have to know the rules.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Don't think i will ever use him.

Ive spoke with him a few times on the phone, and came away a little dissappointed. I don't like how he does things and choose to do business with others. I don't like to be rushed in and out of a shop or set appointments, if you want my money then you better do it my way.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I have bought things from Ed in the past. Back in the day he probably had one of the best selections in the Fort. Lately, Im not to impressed...
    Ive always tried to have him match prices, yet he wont quote pricing over the phone-but he'll beat any deal in town! Usually that has been the case.
    (At least with my experiences)

Ive never felt rushed, he's always let me browse around in case I want to spend more money...but he will talk your ear off!

Havent been there in quite some time, there are just better shops opening up around the area...
    His ammo prices seem to be hit and miss...

My biggest gripe is the way he tries to tell you that "other" gun shops or retailers only receive the "Blems" from their distributors that is why their prices can be so low...BS!
    Also, if you want to purchase something online its a joke and you will get ripped off, well....not true! Yet he'll transfer stuff for you for $75...
    Who's ripping off who?

The only thing I can say is that if you do your research, go in their knowing exactly what you want, and discuss the price on phone prior to picking it up you should be ok.

Mileage will vary...:twocents:

Last edited:

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've bought several guns from Ed over the years. I don't mind doing business with him but if you go in there, you better be as smart as he is. You have to understand his business model and be able to operate within it. If you don't, won't, or can't then shop somewhere else (but you could end up paying more).

1. This isn't a browse-around-and-decide-what-you-want shop. It is a know-what-you-want-before-you-walk-in shop.
    2. Ed isn't particularly interested in selling guns to Fort Wayne gang-bangers. Clean up a little and pull your pants up before you go in. In will go better for you.
    4. Call Ed. Tell him you want a <maker/model> gun. Confirm that the exact gun in stock (e.g., the DAO stainless one with the steel frame).
    5. Tell him over the phone the price you need him to beat (e.g. lower than the best price you found somewhere else).
    6. Ask him if he will beat that price? If he says yes, you set an appointment. If he says "no" go back to the other place and buy your gun. Do not expect him to quote you a price on the phone. He has never done it with me, and I've been a good repeat customer, get along with him well, & honor his business plan.
    7. Set the appointment for as soon after the phone call as you can so he remembers the price conversation with you.
    8. Walk in and say, "Hi, I'm John Doe. I called about the <make/model> you said you could sell me for <$price>.
    9. Once you walk in, he expects you to walk out with a gun. Like I said, it's not a browse and shop place.
    10. Ed is in the business of making a profit. If you haven't done your homework, aren't sure what you want and don't know your top dollar, he will make a buck if he has a chance. It is the American way. :patriot:

1) A know-what-you-want-before-you-walk-in shop? What? I want a gun. I will not determine exactly what I want until I handle the weapon. I made one "mistake" purchase of a superb weapon and decided I did not like it in the end because I did not like the way it felt. If a shop has an issue with me wanting to handle the potential purchase before I buy, then maybe the shop is in the wrong line of business. Who would go in and buy a new car without test driving it 1st? A fool. Just like a car, a gun is a machine meant to be handled. What is right for one person may not be right for the next

2) Sounds like a judgemental person to me. If someone wearing droopy pants can pass a background check, then so be it.

3) Again, part of "knowing what gun you want" is being able to handle them. 1) is pretty much my response to this as well.

4) Okay.

5) If he does beat a price, then he should honor it. If he is a forgetful person, maybe it would behoove him to have a notepad to write down what he has told someone. It is, afterall, a verbal commitment and is legally binding.

6) An interesting concept. A store that is unwilling to quote a price over the phone.

7) see 5). It might help this guy earn and keep customers.

8) Hey, if this guy kept a notebook of his committed prices, then this would be great. From the sounds of it, he may not recall committing himself to a price he offered.

9) Still think this is a dumb idea not to be a shop where potential customers feel welcome enough to window shop. Personally, I will never go back to a place like this as I tend to avoid impulse shopping and rarely purchase something the 1st time I look at it.

10) I know one person this fellow will never have a chance to make a buck from. It is also the American way to vote with your wallet.

Just my :twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents: worth.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    For those that have never been to Ed's place, his shop is in the lower level of his home. His home is semi-remote and sits well off the road down a long lane. He is a former teacher who home schooled his kids, as I recall him saying. Hence, his by-appointment-only system worked well for his lifestyle. If no customers are coming, he can be upstairs with his family. I can appreciate him not wanting to do business with persons he perceives as unsavory because I wouldn't want to be inviting them into my home either.

As for drawing more customers if he changed his business practices, from the looks of his house and property I surmise he is doing quite nicely as it is and is in the enviable position of doing no more than he wants, how he wants, with whom he wants, & when he wants.

I will do business with again. YMMV.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've bought the two most expensive guns in my life and he was still a d-bag to me the next time I went to his shop. I am just amazed that he has loyal customers, and even repeat customers for that matter. Do whatever makes you happy, but I'll never buy from him again.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For those that have never been to Ed's place, his shop is in the lower level of his home. His home is semi-remote and sits well off the road down a long lane. He is a former teacher who home schooled his kids, as I recall him saying. Hence, his by-appointment-only system worked well for his lifestyle. If no customers are coming, he can be upstairs with his family. I can appreciate him not wanting to do business with persons he perceives as unsavory because I wouldn't want to be inviting them into my home either.

As for drawing more customers if he changed his business practices, from the looks of his house and property I surmise he is doing quite nicely as it is and is in the enviable position of doing no more than he wants, how he wants, with whom he wants, & when he wants.

I will do business with again. YMMV.

I go back much further with Ed than what you describe today. Actually, I have never been to his place out on Tonkel... Back in late 80's, I dealt with Ed when he worked out of his " upper " level of his home here in the Fort.... You'd let you in through his front door and you'd follow him upstairs, after taking off your shoes of course. :)

Then not sure what happened. Have only heard Ed's side of the story. :rolleyes: Somehow Ed had to or wanted to move his operation to a small office complex where all he had set up was a table and couple of chairs... During this time, he would field the calls for appointments at his home. He then would run down to the small office to meet you and do the deal. This would be the time period he was having his home built out on Tonkel.

Again, I won't venture to say what the cause of the move out of his original location was. I only know Ed's version and I question the accuracy of the info. You see, that's my biggest rub with Ed. You can't believe half of what spews out of the mans mouth ! Believe me, after buying well in excess of a dozen guns from him, and after referring countless of others to him, I finally came to the conclusion he struggles with telling the truth and even though there are some positive points that could be made for him, IMO, they don't out weight this one big negative.

Mcglockin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    If its a gun I want, he has it, and is cheaper than anyone else I dont care if he is quirky.

If this was the case I would agree. but instead he tells you he will beat the price, you drive 20 miles to get there, and then he won't match these prices because he claims they are "blems or gun show guns"

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville

I have bought quite a few guns from Ed over the years. I also am very familiar with his business practices. The last straw for me was the last trip. I was in the market for a Kimber 1911. Called told him what I was looking for and told him I had a Magnum Research Desert Eagle in 44 magnum new in box unfired and named off a bunch of extras still in package I had for it which included, 4 extra mags, wood grips, holster. They were all from Magnum research and totalled a pretty penny. I told him I would throw those extras in if he would give me a little bit of credit with those on top of the gun credit or I could just sell them else where. He said to bring them in because with those on top of the gun I was right in the price range I needed to be for the Kimber. When I arrived at his shop he grabbed the gun out of the display we had spoken about. He started punching numbers on his calculator and said he needed $800 plus tax on top of my trade. I asked him how that was and he told me the Kimber was $1049 plus tax. He showed me his figures and said that a .44 desert eagle really isnt worth much because it is considered a novelty gun and no one will pay much for them anymore. I told him that I had spoken with him on the phone not an hour ago. He said yes I know that but this is what your gun is worth. REALLY, $249 for a new Desert Eagle and over $400 in extras. I mean come on :rolleyes: . I left there and never will step foot in his shot again. I have spent thousands of dollars in his shop and have been shopping with him for many years. I went to Bass and Bucks and they gave me a straight up trade for another gun I had been looking for that was price right at $1000. I have never gone to Ed's to browse. I have never gone to Ed's to just buy his high priced ammo, I have gone there to buy every time as I know he is running a business and his time is money. I have always given him high respect and treated him as such. My last two trip he was as arrogant as anyone I have ever met. He is no better than anyone else on this forum but he sure thinks he is!!!

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    If this was the case I would agree. but instead he tells you he will beat the price, you drive 20 miles to get there, and then he won't match these prices because he claims they are "blems or gun show guns"

Not the first person I have heard that from either!! Seems to be a trend with that quote and Mr. Hirschy!! :noway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom