• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I usually carry a G26 with a Pearce extension (12+1) and two 17 round mags on my off-hand side. 47 rounds? It is carry ammo after all :D

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I carry a 1911A1 8+1 and a double mag carrier 16 and a back up.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    For those of you who do carry spare mags is it best to go with the double mag pouch or just a single?

I carry a single. I've got a horizontal thats own that isn't used hardly ever. I mainly use a single IWB and occasionally one in the pocket in a galco pocket holster. I think single is the way to go.

What do you mean by that it is more forgiving?

It allows more flexibility. instead of having two mags connected together, they can move independently. You can even have them placed in different locations if need be. Hit up a training class or two dude. It'll be worth it's weight in gold. You'll know just want you need and want by the time it's over. Most trainers have gear they will let you borrow and use also if you talk with them before hand. Not that you can't figure it out without, but you may have to try many more options. :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've always carried a double mag carrier on the opposite side of the gun belt. It balances the whole rig to make you feel as though you are carrying nothing.

As mentioned by my instructors above, you can never know when a new mag will fix your broken or empty gun. Cannot tell you how many times in classes and competitions that magazines hit the ground unintentionally.

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    I carry a single. I've got a horizontal thats own that isn't used hardly ever. I mainly use a single IWB and occasionally one in the pocket in a galco pocket holster. I think single is the way to go.

It allows more flexibility. instead of having two mags connected together, they can move independently. You can even have them placed in different locations if need be. Hit up a training class or two dude. It'll be worth it's weight in gold. You'll know just want you need and want by the time it's over. Most trainers have gear they will let you borrow and use also if you talk with them before hand. Not that you can't figure it out without, but you may have to try many more options. :twocents:

Yeah I defiantly plan on getting signed up for a training class but one of the gear requirements for a class is a mag pouch! So I'm just trying to figure out what to get

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah I defiantly plan on getting signed up for a training class but one of the gear requirements for a class is a mag pouch! So I'm just trying to figure out what to get
    I hear you! Not trying to bust your chops. I figured you'd say that too haha I was in the same place at one point. I think there are many options that'll work for you... Buy kydex though or something that retains the mag well. Don't buy a nylon pouch or something. You very may well be able to find guys in a class or the instructors to allow you to try out their stuff. I went to a place once, and they would even let me get a chest rig or two to try if I wanted before buying anything so I'd know what I wanted to buy. I don't know what holster you have, but if you like it you may try something from the same maker. If you don't think you'll like one on your belt, pick up a galco pocket mag holster. It's pretty good so long as you can spare the pocket.

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    I hear you! Not trying to bust your chops. I figured you'd say that too haha I was in the same place at one point. I think there are many options that'll work for you... Buy kydex though or something that retains the mag well. Don't buy a nylon pouch or something. You very may well be able to find guys in a class or the instructors to allow you to try out their stuff. I went to a place once, and they would even let me get a chest rig or two to try if I wanted before buying anything so I'd know what I wanted to buy. I don't know what holster you have, but if you like it you may try something from the same maker. If you don't think you'll like one on your belt, pick up a galco pocket mag holster. It's pretty good so long as you can spare the pocket.

I just order a Bravo Concealment IWB DOS holster which I am super excited about getting because it looks great. I have looked at their mag pouches, read reviews, watched videos and they look great as well its just I didn't know whether to get a single or a double. Most likely I will want it to be my EDC.

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis

Im almost thinking that I will want a double for like range time and class training but carry a single for my EDC because I won't want the extra bulk as the double but still have the advantage of carrying an extra mag still.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Because of the high round count of some classes I bought a 4 magazine carrier from Raven concealment that worked very well for its intended purpose. Since the topic of a class came up I will offer a bit of unsolicited advice: buy a drop pouch. Get a cheap one from amazon. It is totally support gear for the class only so put gun and mag carriers on your belt then determine where the pouch will go. If you load it right you'll always be ready to shoot the next evolution while everyone else is scrambling to keep up.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Im almost thinking that I will want a double for like range time and class training but carry a single for my EDC because I won't want the extra bulk as the double but still have the advantage of carrying an extra mag still.

That would probably be fine, I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there doing that. I personally am training with my EDC because that's what I'll have. If I was going to take a class to be a better USPSA shooter that would be different. But if not matter the kind of class I'm taking, I'm going to go as if I'm doing that thing. Competition I'm going in with all my mags, race gun etc. Defensive class I'm wearing jeans tshirt boots and my pistol with extra mags just like any other day... You will here in the defensive training world in the tacticool, and non tacticool alike a phrase "train how you fight" I'll go how I carry and then come home and practice the exact same way. Once you find a setup that works well for you I think you'll subscribe to it too.
    This sounds stupid maybe from earlier saying try saving you some time and money by "figuring it out" earlier, but don't be afraid to try new stuff now and again. If I never did I'd still be carrying in a crossbreed super tuck, and not carrying every day and or dressing around my gun. I had to find what worked for me just like everyone else, looking at myself 4 or 5 years ago I can almost laugh at the difference. I'm sure you'll be the same way. And I'm sure in another 5 years I'll be the same way I'll look back and laugh yet again (probably with rifles that time). So once you do start training. Try to go to different people. Don't pick one and just decide it's the best. Same theory applies to that as the holster. I've only received pistol instruction from 3 different sources, and I'll have a 4th class next month but they were all certainly different. There were some I also found much more valuable to me than others as well.

You are doing a good thing by asking people that have been around longer by jumping on here. I gave a long response and droned on a bit because I've had time the last few weeks to be back on INGO a bit, and I've seen many threads you've started with several questions. So I thought I'd throw in all of that stuff beyond the holster junk for extra measure due to that... Appreciate your enthusiasm man!

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    That would probably be fine, I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there doing that. I personally am training with my EDC because that's what I'll have. If I was going to take a class to be a better USPSA shooter that would be different. But if not matter the kind of class I'm taking, I'm going to go as if I'm doing that thing. Competition I'm going in with all my mags, race gun etc. Defensive class I'm wearing jeans tshirt boots and my pistol with extra mags just like any other day... You will here in the defensive training world in the tacticool, and non tacticool alike a phrase "train how you fight" I'll go how I carry and then come home and practice the exact same way. Once you find a setup that works well for you I think you'll subscribe to it too.
    This sounds stupid maybe from earlier saying try saving you some time and money by "figuring it out" earlier, but don't be afraid to try new stuff now and again. If I never did I'd still be carrying in a crossbreed super tuck, and not carrying every day and or dressing around my gun. I had to find what worked for me just like everyone else, looking at myself 4 or 5 years ago I can almost laugh at the difference. I'm sure you'll be the same way. And I'm sure in another 5 years I'll be the same way I'll look back and laugh yet again (probably with rifles that time). So once you do start training. Try to go to different people. Don't pick one and just decide it's the best. Same theory applies to that as the holster. I've only received pistol instruction from 3 different sources, and I'll have a 4th class next month but they were all certainly different. There were some I also found much more valuable to me than others as well.

You are doing a good thing by asking people that have been around longer by jumping on here. I gave a long response and droned on a bit because I've had time the last few weeks to be back on INGO a bit, and I've seen many threads you've started with several questions. So I thought I'd throw in all of that stuff beyond the holster junk for extra measure due to that... Appreciate your enthusiasm man!

Thank you I really appreciate it! I am a very cautious person when it comes to this kind of stuff. I like to read and try to learn everything I can about a product before I buy it. Thats what I love about INGO is people will give you what they really think about something and how it works for them which is not what I feel like when you look at the reviews on a product. People usually write reviews because they love the product.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I picked up a Crossbreed double mag pouch for my M&P 9c, but wish I had gone the route of two singles. The double is large and fairly rigid.

For my Glock 29 I carry one extra mag.

Top Bottom