• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I prefer no manual safety for EDC. When carrying, the gun should NEVER leave a secure holster unless needed. Safety is just one more thing to fumble with during a life threatening situation. If you carry a gun that has a safety, I believe you should use it and train with it even if you don't like it, that small chance it engages and you don't train to use it is still a risk.

James20

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Woodburn
    I carry a glock30 or a lcr (depending on what I'm wearing) and feel perfectly comfortable. As long as you have a quality holster, watch where your finger is, and just pay attention you'll be fine.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I used to have a fear of carrying a gun without a safety. My main concern was on holstering the gun. With no safety, anything caught in the trigger guard will fire a round. Back then, I carried 1911s and CZs in low to mediocre holsters and over time, I upgraded to high end holsters and tossed the low end nylon stuff in the trash. Somewhere along the line, I bought a Glock and a good poly holster and gained confidence in my ability to reholster a Glock without shooting myself in the ass. Glocks have become my main carry gun, but only when I have high quality leather or a good poly holster for them. You still have to be more careful while holstering a safetyless gun if there is no exposed hammer to put your thumb under while reholstering. Just get in the habit of checking to be sure the holster is clear before trying to reholster. I also don't reholster with a firing grip, but wrap my fingers around the trigger guard to I can feel anything in the way of re-holstering the gun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am looking at a used and modified M&p. I love the gun, it's exactly what I've been looking for. It even has a few upgrades. It has the apex trigger, threaded barrel, extended mag, and magwell funnel. I don't care much for the magwell funnel, but that's beside the point.

The gun doesn't have a safety. Unless you count the trigger safety. I don't consider that a safety, but we won't get into that here.

So my question is whether anybody else carries a gun that has no safety. Or only has the trigger safety. I'm a little hesitant since I'm not quite used to it. But I also thought if the gun never leaves the holster, I should never worry about an accident, right?

Thoughts and advice would be great! Thanks

The bottom line is, what are you comfortable with? I grew up when if you had a semi auto, it was a 1911, a Browning highpower or some unknown foreign brand. They all had safeties. I quickly got used to them and am comfortable with them. To this day ANY pistol I am shooting, I physically move my thumb to click off the safety when I pull it out of the holster. Sometimes my thumb finds one, sometimes it does not have one. I do not consider the absence of a safety a plus in a life threatening situation. I am aware of a lot more accidental discharges. Maybe because of the internet. I was on site when a LEO shot himself in the backside with his own glock.

Get whatever you like, and practice with it until you are proficient. Everyone, including me, has given their honest opinion and preference. None of it makes any difference if you are not proficient with whatever you have. If you are comfortable with a pistol that has a safety lever, don't pay attention to any tacticool expert telling you that you have the wrong sidearm.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I suspect you'll find more folks carrying EDC guns without a safety than you'll find that carry one with it.

Try carrying a revolver for a while if you want to get used to a gun with no thumb safety, our as others suggested, a DA/SA pistol with a decocker might be a good option for you.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It is shooters that are unsafe, not guns. If you handle guns safely then it doesn't really matter what kind of gun it is. If you are unsafe, get in a hurry, forget your good habits, then no gun is truly safe for you. Live by the four rules and you will be fine. Violate them at your peril. Most of my guns have safeties and a couple have decockers. I only use a safety at the range and never use a decocker. I trust myself much more than a gadget.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My normal carry guns are either a revolver, 1911, or Hi-Power. Of the two designs, the 1911/Hi-Power carried cocked and locked made me far more worrisome than the revolver without a thumb safety ever did. Put it in a quality holster, keep your mitts off of it until you need it, and use your head, the only thing that will make it go off besides your finger will be divine intervention.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you are really unsure about it, just carry Israeli style for a while.
    Dry fire the gun, insert loaded mag, place in holster.
    You will have to rack the slide in your draw sequence, and you have to practice that.
    If the Israeli's can do it, you can.

Nobody really likes the idea of carrying without a round in the chamber (especially on INGO), but there are a couple small advantages.
    I have done it when I carry with the kids around. It's just safer and I've practiced drawing & racking.
    Also, if you are in a physical fight and your gun is taken, the bad guy will assume it's loaded but won't be able to immediately shoot you with your own gun.
    That hesitation might give you a fighting chance to get your gun back and defend yourself with out being shot with it first.

I'm not saying carrying Israeli style is better, it just an option.
    But like any option you choose, you need to practice it.

Terrible advise. If you're that scared just leave it at home and comply or get a revolver.

Even Israeli don't carry that way, you don't have a check point with your buddies to cover you.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I carry an M&P 45c without a safety with a full magazine and a round chambered and a spare loaded mag. The only time it leaves the safety of the holster is when I take it to the range about once a month or so. I then fire the mag full of carry ammo and another box of FMJ after which it gets a quick field strip and cleaning then it is reloaded with fresh carry ammo and re-hostered where it will remain safely kept until the next range session or unless it is needed for a self defense situation.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    No manual safeties. It's one reason I prefer double-action (whether revolver or semi-auto) for EDCs. Of course, the Glock, etc. have the trigger safety, but there have been incidents with those, as well.

Hopefully, those who carry with a manual safety won't forget to disengage that during a defensive scenario. This failure has occurred more than once in actual gunfights. Regardless of how much one practices with it, unless that person has needed to engage that firearm in a defensive scenario, they can't be certain they'll do so until an actual situation presents itself.

As is often noted, once can 'practice' all they desire, participate in 'combat' courses, etc. But that person cannot and will not know what they'll actually do until they've 'been there, done that', all "I know what I'd do" rhetoric notwithstanding.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I carry my pistol in my pocket holster, one in the chamber and no safety.
    Even though I do this, because I know it is the correct way to carry, I still will never be
    totally comfortable.
    Just me.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sig P320 here, full mag +1 in pipe. No safeties of any kind including smooth 5lb trigger. Stays in a Safariland retention holster, safe as can be.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I carry a m&p with one in the pipe. Train with it and ensure you have a quality system (holster and belt). The gun will only go bang if the trigger is pulled.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If you train enough to instinctively flip the thumb safety off as you draw then good for you. I don't want anything getting in my way when the dreaded adrenalin starts to flow. That's why I love my Glocks. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire and it can't go off. BTW an awful lot of people think that crappy lever on the trigger is the safety. They don't know about the firing pin block in the slide. When I show them how the safety system really works they usually respond, "Ooohhhh. I see now. That's different than what I thought."

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    A safety is simply a mechanical device that can and "WILL" fail...never rely on a safety to prevent unintended consequences of sloppy or foolish gun handling. That being said...different designs work for many people, but you should find what you are comfortable with and what affords you the best firearm for defense. And PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    GLOCKS are a good gun for a beginner. Four safety commandments, aiming, and trigger pull- K I S S.

I don't agree. I think a Glock is a fantastic nightstand or home defense gun for a beginner, but for carry, has been dangerous for beginners. The one thing you cannot get wrong with a Glock is to carry without a good holster. Doing so increases the risk of a ND considerably. Yet, the one thing that most beginners get wrong is they buy cheap nylon holsters or carry without any holster at all. If you can convince a beginner to by a quality holster, then the Glock is a good choice, but for the 80% of people that start with crap holsters, a gun like a CZ with a decocker, a Sig or some other gun with an exposed hammer is a safer choice.

I Glock is very unforgiving of inexperienced carry in a cheap holster that can foul the trigger during reholstering. People have died learning that lesson the hard way.

Top Bottom