• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I prefer the DA/SA pistols with decocker. No safety needed, and it is not going to fire if something does accidentally tug on the trigger. My Sig Sauer P226 has a long 10lb trigger pull and a light SA pull for every shot after that. You can pull the hammer back manually if you like for the first shot in SA. I can wear it in a holster, or if I have a situation that I want it with me but don't want to holster it I can toss it in a bag loose and never worry about something accidentally pulling the trigger. I have an empty spot I dedicate to this in my laptop bag that nothing else goes in ever. I am in the minority on this topic, but there are times when I don't always wear mine but would like it with me. I use to carry my smith and wesson airweight 38 inside a jacket pocket for decades with no holster. No way it's going to fire by accident. I can't say that with a striker fired gun. I carry my shield that way sometimes, hope the safety works. There again, by having to rely on the safety it's one more thing to keep it from firing when I need it. I have pulled it a few times to go check out a noise at night that sounds like someone might be in the house, I do remember the safety. I wish someone built one in 9mm the size of the shield with the features of the DA SA. I don't disagree that a gun carried with no safety can be carried safely, but I would add that some guns are safer for those that might make a mistake every now and then. I have known ladies to toss a revolver in their purse and never give it another thought. I know, holster, can't get it quickly, obstructed bore eventually etc. All that said, if they do that with a baby glock a lipstick or ink pen is eventually going to find it's way into a trigger guard and press the only safety and trigger at the same time. Bang.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Some people with just a little firearm knowledge assume that all guns have a manual safety. My mother in law told me she was going to get a Glock to keep in her night stand. After discussing it with her for a few minutes I came to the realization that she assumed it would have a safety on it.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    My EDC is a Kahr CM9 with no safety. I personally think that the long DA trigger is the best safety of all.

I sometimes carry a CZ 75b or a Sig P220. When I carry either of these, they are decocked so the first pull is DA.

My P220 would actually be my choice of carry guns if size and weight did not matter. I love the decocker and the fact it is a 45.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    My EDC is currently an XDm Compact in 40. Grip safety, yes, but no thumb safety.

This will likely change soon once my 640 J-Frame is returned from S&W for an overcanted barrel. I haven't decided for certain yet, and who knows, I may end up alternating between the two with the XDm in colder months, and the J-Frame for summer carry.

With utmost respect, don't dismiss the idea of a revolver (especially a DAO model) if a safety is a huge concern. While I'm not ready to let go of my semi autos anytime soon, I am a recent fan of revolvers. Even with a small 5-round j-frame, or an SP-101, keeping an extra speed loader in your pocket will give you a fighting chance to see another sunrise.

Last edited:

dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    Just started EDC with XDs .45 in a IWB . and as everyone knows, common sense and training is everything. I have been carrying for 30 years and this is the first time I have carried without the traditional safety and I fell very comfortable, just cautious when holstering.

jmartin72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Covington
    No EDC should ever have a safety. A safety will get you killed if you don't train properly with it. If you never draw you weapon except to destroy something that is threatening your life, or the life of someone else you have nothing to worry about. In short keep your bugger hook off the bang switch and no worries.

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    I carry Barney Fife style, Revolver on hip 1 bullet in shirt pocket. Just kidding i have carried my Glock 21 daily for 13 yrs no AD or NDs here. Like some have said quality holster, and keep finger off trigger until ready to fire. Just be sure and not have a shirt tale or anything else in the way when re holstering.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Here is an example of why some guns are safer than others. I'm not saying a person can't carry a gun without any type safety other than a "trigger safety" without an unplanned discharge, but I am saying it gives everyone who carries one with any type of additional safety one more level of safety in case something does accidentally tug on the trigger. Here is a cop who accidentally shot himself in an elevator. I would love someone to make a compact about the size of the shield with DA / SA. Most are striker fired now days, and I'm all for them making several types for each persons preference, but there is an opening in the market for a compact DA SA. Come on Sig Sauer, are you listening? I love the larger Sigs.

Officer Darryl Jouett accidentally shoots himself fumbling with gun in elevator | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I just picked up a M&P Shield, with the safety. I'm still breaking it in and haven't started carrying it yet but I'm planning on leaving the safety off except when I'm loading/clearing. IMHO having a safety option when handling a firearm just adds that extra ounce of prevention

Cheysdaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Lafayaette
    Very few of my handguns have safeties and if they do I dont carry with them on and I have never had an issue. When i first started carrying i didnt carry with one in the chamber for awhile until i got used to it. Good training and practice drawing and reholstering should put your mind at ease. Also you could consider carrying something with a hammer instead of striker fire and leave the hammer in the decocked position so its a harder initial trigger pull

Top Bottom