• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    A safety is simply a mechanical device that can and "WILL" fail...never rely on a safety to prevent unintended consequences of sloppy or foolish gun handling. That being said...different designs work for many people, but you should find what you are comfortable with and what affords you the best firearm for defense. And PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!
    Advice directly out of the NRA basic pistol class. No accidental discharges, just negligent ones. Safe gun handling procedures and practice is your answer.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I have never carried with a safety, I am left handed and almost have no choices of a pistol with a safety. They exist of course, but I did not want to be limited so I got used to not having one. Now I would not carry one with a safety as I'm not trained mentally to flick it off and I'd be awkward with one. I'm not against them, but they are not for me at this time anyway unless on a range gun I guess.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been carrying a CZ P-07 with decocker. I feel safe carrying with the hammer down. The double action pull is suppose to be around 6 lbs. After that it is suppose to be around 3 lbs in single action. It also comes with a safety that can be installed so it can be carried cocked and locked. Nice G19 sized pistol.

12-23-14043_zpsbd1d2000.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

I doubt the single action pull is only 3 lbs.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I am looking at a used and modified M&p. I love the gun, it's exactly what I've been looking for. It even has a few upgrades. It has the apex trigger, threaded barrel, extended mag, and magwell funnel. I don't care much for the magwell funnel, but that's beside the point.

The gun doesn't have a safety. Unless you count the trigger safety. I don't consider that a safety, but we won't get into that here.

So my question is whether anybody else carries a gun that has no safety. Or only has the trigger safety. I'm a little hesitant since I'm not quite used to it. But I also thought if the gun never leaves the holster, I should never worry about an accident, right?

Thoughts and advice would be great! Thanks

Good question.
    In answer to your question, I've carried one or two Glock handguns in varies holsters on a daily basis for over 16 yrs. For me it was just becoming comfortable with carrying a gun w/o an external safety. That only took some training and building confidence in myself.
    As others have already said repeatedly, your brain and finger are the safety regardless what any of us carry.
    Stay safe

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    All the advice above is very sound and a manual safety is not needed for stock striker fired guns, although I prefer DA. The thing you should check out is the trigger pull on the M&P you are looking at. The add-ons you mentioned sound like this was set up for competition. I have shot an M&P with an Apex trigger and while it is a very nice, light pull, it is way too light for a carry gun, IMHO.

If you were looking at this gun for comp, that would be one thing, but it sounds like it may not be best suited for carry. A stock M&P trigger (or XD, Glock, etc) would not be something you need to worry about for carry, but I would reconsider EDC if the trigger has a light comp trigger pull. :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Ft Wayne
    The most important thing for me is making sure i have a holster i can trust. I needs to completely cover the trigger assembly at all costs. Thats more importanty to me then the built in safety bc those are mechanical and can fail but its pretty hard to fire a fun under any circumstances if nothing hits the trigger. That said i like da/sa triggers and i trained myself hard to cock the hammer as part of drawing it from teh holster

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have been carrying a CZ P-07 with decocker. I feel safe carrying with the hammer down. The double action pull is suppose to be around 6 lbs. After that it is suppose to be around 3 lbs in single action. It also comes with a safety that can be installed so it can be carried cocked and locked. Nice G19 sized pistol.

[/URL][/IMG]

I now have a Walther P99c AS 9mm (after over a year of searching) for the same reasons. Every time I stray from DA/SA decockers, I end up coming back.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I am looking at a used and modified M&p. I love the gun, it's exactly what I've been looking for. It even has a few upgrades. It has the apex trigger, threaded barrel, extended mag, and magwell funnel. I don't care much for the magwell funnel, but that's beside the point.

The gun doesn't have a safety. Unless you count the trigger safety. I don't consider that a safety, but we won't get into that here.

So my question is whether anybody else carries a gun that has no safety. Or only has the trigger safety. I'm a little hesitant since I'm not quite used to it. But I also thought if the gun never leaves the holster, I should never worry about an accident, right?

Thoughts and advice would be great! Thanks
    Of the five handguns that I own, three are not safety equipped. One of the ones with the safety, I don't even carry. The other is a Polish P-83, that I rarely carry. Pretty much all of my EDC guns do not have an external safety...and I keep a round chambered too. Proper carry, training, and a good holster/belt combination go a long way. :patriot:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

[/URL][/IMG]
    Nice CZ...I want one. Did you replace the trigger bar or something to get your single action pull weight down to 3 pounds?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Just about every Glock, XDm, XD, PPQ etc doesn't have a manual safety. There is a reason. The striker/firing pin is blocked until the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. That is the main safe mechanism, besides your brain and finger. These guns are drop tested and do not fire.

The Springfield XDm/XD have a grip saftey like a 1911. Some like it and some don't.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is with proper TRAINING and GOOD carry equipment like a quality holster and belt, there is really no need for an additional manual safety.

I'm in agreement with Bigtanker...not having a manual safety is just like having a revolver!

Keep in mind, the #1 Best Safety is still that grey thing between your ears...if it ain't workin' right, a manual safety probably isn't enough protrction against stupid!

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    They have it right on pistol training - easier to shoot, easier to shoot accidentally (if 'accidents' exist in the firearm world, another discussion). I like my SA/DA semi with a decocker. I don't think Glock style striker guns are as safe in hand, on the nightstand, or going in to the holster, they lack the visual component at the back (hammer) and are harder (SA) to shoot, in a physical sense. Manual of arms can be learned, exposed hammer to see or thumb cannot.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    I never use a safety if I can help it. There is also internal striker block safeties in M&Ps as well as the majority of striker fired pistols. SF pistols are designed to not need a safety. Don't pull the trigger, it won't go bang. Even if you drop it. Not only are safeties an extra step to fumble with in a bad situation, I also believe they are a false sense of security. Exercise proper safety skill with or without a safety and you will never have a problem. Also always carry it in a substantial, preferable kydex or leather holster.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    96g is my EDC. Da/sa decocker but no safety. That's comes along with the "g" part. I love it, if I have to drag it out, the only thing I have to do is squeeze harder the first time. When packing my 1911, it's never cocked. I have a good holster, and it covers the trigger, and I'm safe with it, but that interface with the hammer and sear isnt much, and that's what everything is riding on.

Top Bottom