• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I found this article very interesting. Especially interesting is the media's affect on public views towards the elderly. Here is a quote from an article. The link to the full article is below. "American society is generally an ageist society that devalues the elderly and stigmatizes them in numerous ways. This study has further illuminated the prevailing fear that most people have about getting older and about how many people feel about the elderly." https://www.scirp.org/journal/paper...is generally an,people feel about the elderly.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I found this article very interesting. Especially interesting is the media's affect on public views towards the elderly. Here is a quote from an article. The link to the full article is below. "American society is generally an ageist society that devalues the elderly and stigmatizes them in numerous ways. This study has further illuminated the prevailing fear that most people have about getting older and about how many people feel about the elderly." https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=78445#:~:text=American society is generally an,people feel about the elderly.
    I feel elderly should fall into 2 categories. Those who are a drain on society, and those that are self sufficient. Those that are drains tend to hurt society and provide no real value for anyone outside of their possibly their direct family unit. Those that remain self sufficient into their old age, I find to be generally wonderful people.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That could apply to people of all ages. I wouldn't limit it to the elderly.
    And I'd say there is a difference in those that have put in their time, paid their dues, and contributed for a long time to the betterment of our society and those that haven't and expect to be taken care of and for others to pick up their responsibilities. Someone who has contributed deserves to be taken care of when they need it. Some others who are or were capable but don't due to choices they have made ... not so much.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    That could apply to people of all ages. I wouldn't limit it to the elderly.
    You are correct, however this post seems to be strictly about the elderly and not people of any other age. If the title of this post were different, I would have addressed the other ages.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    And I'd say there is a difference in those that have put in their time, paid their dues, and contributed for a long time to the betterment of our society and those that haven't and expect to be taken care of and for others to pick up their responsibilities. Someone who has contributed deserves to be taken care of when they need it. Some others who are or were capable but don't due to choices they have made ... not so much.
    I'm a libertarian, so I don't think anyone of any age past 18 "deserves" anything. Putting in time or paying some sort of dues makes no difference. My own grandmother was a drain on society since she was my age. Should any person be responsible financially or otherwise for taking care of her? Of course not. It is absolutely silly to even suggest that the well being of others rests on the shoulders of anyone else of any age. That would not be freedom at all, and more a type of slavery.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I feel elderly should fall into 2 categories. Those who are a drain on society, and those that are self sufficient. Those that are drains tend to hurt society and provide no real value for anyone outside of their possibly their direct family unit. Those that remain self sufficient into their old age, I find to be generally wonderful people.
    I've known several folks that fall into your "drain on society" category that I considered to be generally wonderful as well. The only difference between them and the "self sufficient" folks were the circumstances of life.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I've known several folks that fall into your "drain on society" category that I considered to be generally wonderful as well. The only difference between them and the "self sufficient" folks were the circumstances of life.
    That is when a bunch of people who find these folks you speak of, get together and decide to voluntarily take care of them. People should be allowed to volunteer their money however they want. However it is not ethical to force everyone to take care of anyone, physically, financially, or emotionally.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm a libertarian, so I don't think anyone of any age past 18 "deserves" anything. Putting in time or paying some sort of dues makes no difference. My own grandmother was a drain on society since she was my age. Should any person be responsible financially or otherwise for taking care of her? Of course not. It is absolutely silly to even suggest that the well being of others rests on the shoulders of anyone else of any age. That would not be freedom at all, and more a type of slavery.
    I get what you are saying but the society we live in today and the social agreements that have been made, including forced paying into social security, etc was and is in place and those that paid into it as well as served in military and made that commitment with the pensions, etc that are in place should get what was promised to them. I'm not talking about whether that should have been the system or not, and I'm not talking about those that failed to plan for retirement, etc.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    That is when a bunch of people who find these folks you speak of, get together and decide to voluntarily take care of them. People should be allowed to volunteer their money however they want. However it is not ethical to force everyone to take care of anyone, physically, financially, or emotionally.
    I get it that you don't agree that any of us should be forced to take care of anyone that we don't want to take care of. But I'm a little fuzzy on your insinuation that elderly folks who are self sufficient are somehow better people.

Does that mean if one of the self sufficient elderly folks who you have found to be a generally wonderful person suddenly fell and broke a hip and ran out of savings, are they no longer wonderful?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I get what you are saying but the society we live in today and the social agreements that have been made, including forced paying into social security, etc was and is in place and those that paid into it as well as served in military and made that commitment with the pensions, etc that are in place should get what was promised to them. I'm not talking about whether that should have been the system or not, and I'm not talking about those that failed to plan for retirement, etc.
    No one can be forced into social agreements. I mean you can, slavery was a social agreement. However, social agreements are only agreements till one side gets enough numbers to say stop. There are more millennials and Gen Zers than their are gen X or Baby Boomers. Eventually, they will learn to get sick of paying into things they didn't agree on. When they learn that they outnumber those on the top end of these pyramid schemes... Watch out, because they will let them crumble. And make no mistake, that is what a pension, social security, government programs are... A pyramid scheme.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I get it that you don't agree that any of us should be forced to take care of anyone that we don't want to take care of. But I'm a little fuzzy on your insinuation that elderly folks who are self sufficient are somehow better people.

Does that mean if one of the self sufficient elderly folks who you have found to be a generally wonderful person suddenly fell and broke a hip and ran out of savings, are they no longer wonderful?
    Personally, they could still be wonderful people. Financially, they would cease being wonderful people. Physically, they would cease being wonderful people.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Personally, they could still be wonderful people. Financially, they would cease being wonderful people. Physically, they would cease being wonderful people.
    Fair enough. I've always thought that basic idea has been a significant factor in the shelf-life of most societies that grew into greatness and then faded away or failed in the past. It's connected with the saying "Hard times make strong men; strong men make easy times; easy times make weak men; weak men make hard times".

When any society is in early stages, times are probably more hard than not, which would lead most people to have a less generous countenance toward the non-productive members. Then, as that society grows more prosperous, there is more to go around and it's easier to be generous to the less-fortunate, either out of altruism, or out of pride people have in their society's strength in taking care of all of it's members. There is probably a tipping-point in the history of every society where, in the beginning, more of it's resources are put into building it up to make it stronger, and as the society gets more prosperous, more and more resources are funneled into things that don't build in up and don't make it stronger. At some point, the "users" greatly outnumber the "producers" and things fall apart. It may well be a totally inevitable cycle of human nature.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I must assume that if you get to that point yourself, you just plan on offing yourself? That's an incredibly sad outlook. But maybe that's where your username came from?
    Save and invest. Live way below your means. Be charitable when you can. And when it is your time to go, have the dignity to not be a drain on others, or be able to use the money you saved or invested to secure your own health. Work to live, I think is the saying.

Also personal attacks in a discussion... tisk tisk. Win your argument another way.

Top Bottom