• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am remodeling a bedroom and decided to switch old wall plugs to new....I had one light switch that goes to a plug in and it never has worked, so I switched 4 wall outlets and that single way light switch. Now when I go to turn breaker back on......it hums and then trips.

Is there really a way I could have screwed this up? I mean the single switch had a red wire going to bottom and 2 blacks to the top.....I put new switch in same way. And the plugs had 4 wires, 2 blacks on one side and 2 whites on the other.

What the hell did I do wrong? Thanks!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I am remodeling a bedroom and decided to switch old wall plugs to new....I had one light switch that goes to a plug in and it never has worked, so I switched 4 wall outlets and that single way light switch. Now when I go to turn breaker back on......it hums and then trips.

Is there really a way I could have screwed this up? I mean the single switch had a red wire going to bottom and 2 blacks to the top.....I put new switch in same way. And the plugs had 4 wires, 2 blacks on one side and 2 whites on the other.

What the hell did I do wrong? Thanks!
    Could only half the receptacle been switch controlled and the other half hot all the time? If so the tab between the screws needs broke otherwise you have two hot feeds.

Is it a 3 wire going to the plug? And it's black and red land on the switch screws?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Hough.......I did not break any tab off of anything.

Jaybird.......I think the light switch was meant to only control 1 or the 4 outlets.

I see what you guys are saying now.......so how do I fix this? How do I know which switch to break that tab off of?

I am an idiot.....I never even thought about that. The other bedroom is like that as well, and when you turn on light switch it turns on the one outlet where lamp is.

Thank you guys for your help.....

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Hough.......I did not break any tab off of anything.

Jaybird.......I think the light switch was meant to only control 1 or the 4 outlets.

I see what you guys are saying now.......so how do I fix this? How do I know which switch to break that tab off of?

I am an idiot.....I never even thought about that. The other bedroom is like that as well, and when you turn on light switch it turns on the one outlet where lamp is.

Thank you guys for your help.....
    Going to be hard without seeing it. Can you post pics of the switch box and the first plug box, and are all the plugs 4 wires?

Do you still have the old plugs to see if the tabs are broken?

Is it a 3 wire going to the plug from the switch?

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Going to be hard without seeing it. Can you post pics of the switch box and the first plug box, and are all the plugs 4 wires?

I will try to get a picture. I did just look at the old outlets and switch and they had no tabs. They are just the flat copper plate.....I think maybe I messed up the first outlet which is the one that should turn on when light is flipped on........but that outlet and switch has never worked since I have lived here.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    the Outlet controlled by the Switch will have a Extra Wire or two (they might share the Return)

You only have to Break the Bridge Tab on the HOT side (especially if they share the Return)

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

Is it a 3 wire going to the plug from the switch?
    OK, I pulled the wall switch and the first outlet on circuit. The switch has a red wire on bottom and 2 blacks on top screw. The first outlet has 2 white wires on right side of outlet, upper and lower screw and a single red wire on the left side upper screw, all 3 of other outlets have 2 blacks and 2 whites.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    OK, I pulled the wall switch and the first outlet on circuit. The switch has a red wire on bottom and 2 blacks on top screw. The first outlet has 2 black wires on right side of outlet, upper and lower screw and a single red wire on the left side upper screw, all 3 of other outlets have 2 blacks and 2 whites.
    It should only be neutral wire on one side and hot on the other. Usually the white is used as a neutral.

Sounds like the red is the switched wire and should land on the brass colored screw on the side you want switched. Usually the bottom for a lamp. Then the black makes the top hot all the time. The tab between them needs broken if this is the case

This is just a guess without seeing it.

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Where does that red wire go to? Back to the switch right?. It should only be neutral wire on one side and hot on the other. Usually the white is used as a neutral.

Sounds like the red is the switched wire and should land on the brass colored screws.

This is just a guess without seeing it.
    Got it........I had the red wire going to silver screw, switched it and all is good now. Thanks for your help!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Got it........I had the red wire going to silver screw, switched it and all is good now. Thanks for your help!
    Something my late father told me when I was in 4H Electrical... way back... "an easy way to remember is 'white wire goes to silver/brighter screw' , 'black wire goes to gold/darker screw'. FWIW... YMMV and all that... :thumbsup: :ingo:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Something my late father told me when I was in 4H Electrical... way back... "an easy way to remember is 'white wire goes to silver/brighter screw' , 'black wire goes to gold/darker screw'. FWIW... YMMV and all that... :thumbsup: :ingo:
    I always remember that by Black to Gold.....Purdue colors. I guess I still dont understand why it made a difference how I hooked that red wire up......but that sure fixed it.

Can you usually assume a Red wire is the same as a black wire? I hate electrical and usually dont do it, but I figured how can I mess up an outlet, well....I found out how, lol.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I always remember that by Black to Gold.....Purdue colors. I guess I still dont understand why it made a difference how I hooked that red wire up......but that sure fixed it.

Can you usually assume a Red wire is the same as a black wire? I hate electrical and usually dont do it, but I figured how can I mess up an outlet, well....I found out how, lol.
    Any color, other than white(neutral) or green(ground), is usually a hot. Red and black are most common in residential.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

That red wire is hot when the switch turns it on, from your description. So you were dumping a hot wire directly on the neutral wire.

I don't assume any colors anymore after seeing some of the crap I have.

When I do it the white is neutral unless marked with black tape. And the red is usually a hot when I do it. I have seen red used as a neutral before and not marked with tape.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

You hit the Neutral/ground side of the breaker panel with a hot wire you big dummy.....:):

Love-ya man. You know I do.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    That is a difference between Electrical and Electronics

Electric -- RED or BLACK is HOT / Power ... White is Neutral / Return

Electronics -- RED or WHITE is HOT / Power ... BLACK is Ground / Return

Top Bottom