• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I agree we're probably not going to find the next Hemingway here on INGO, but it's not going to make me want to do a roundhouse kick to someones temple either.

Oh come on ... just one roundhouse? :chuck:

But I think it's worth a reminder for people to at least try a little harder to communicate properly. Too many typos is Rude, IMHO.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    be seen as an idiot. You win the prize of the game your numb-a$$ began. You are ignorant, and no whiney, pee-pantsing comment from you will make you any less ignorant. I hear there are openings in a new Three Stooges Redux: go babble there and get paid for it. And SOME places want to eliminate studies in grade school of cursive writing. I mean, after all, the Sunday Comics aren't in cursive, are they ??? That's what they told me, and I believe them.

So, tell us how you really feel. :laugh:

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Are there any native english speakers on this forum? Celibatory, celebatory, and celabatory gunfire are likely by someone who is celibate. That kind of means the opposite of celebrate.

I see so many posts that are almost unreadable because of the OP's inability to write in English. Have we been infiltrated by non-native speakers or are these the same people who say that if you come to this country you should speak "Merican!". I agree that the official language should be English.

Whats your real problem, did you forget your meds, wife leave you for a mexican, lost your job to a non english speaking imagrent, you can tell us were you fiends.:D

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    ya'll is short for y'all will. The intermediate step was y'all'll, but the double double-l was difficult to pronounce. Therefore, it was further shortened to ya'll. If used as "ya'll come back wontcha?", it is correct.

^^ The awesomeness of this cannot be underestimated. ^^

I've lived in the South more than half my life but after reading that I feel like a Yankee.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Remember, a lot of the offenders are probably a part of the "no child left behind" or the "everybody gets a trophy" generations! Sad isn't it?

^^^^This is the best response of the thread!

I believe all of our problems in this country can be attributed to T-ball where everyone gets a trophy. Kinda like everything leading back to Kevin Bacon.

And no, that shouldn't be in purple.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A new monk arrives at a monastery famous for its illuminated manuscripts. He is assigned to help the other monks in copying the old text, using the finest of brushes for the calligraphy and the most beautiful pigments and gold leafing for the illustration. And he can’t help but notice that his fellow monks are copying copies, not the original books. Surely this could lead to error. So he goes to the head monk and points out that they might be making mistakes. Because if there was one error in the first copy, that error would be continued in all the others.
    And the head monk says, “We’ve been copying from copies for 300 years. Nonetheless, you have a good point.”
    So the old religious man goes down into the deepest, darkest cranny of the archives to check the latest edition against the original.
    Hours pass and nobody see him. Finally the new monk clambers down the stairs to look for him. And he hears heartbroken sobs. And there’s the old monk, beside the original book which is lit by a flickering candle.
    “What’s wrong?” the new monk asks.
    “The word isn’t celibate,” says the head monk, “it’s celebrate!”

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...“The word isn’t celibate,” says the head monk, “it’s celebrate!”

laughing-lama.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Hashing a few words because one is writing a rapid post on a forum is no biggie, or to draw attention, or to purposely be informal, but yes, the routine butchery of the American English language is disheartening.

Non-native speakers like Sylvain are not the problem either -- it seems the ones bold enough to post in a (to them) foreign language do pretty well spelling the words, the just sometimes have some peculiar sentence constructs (and those are often not grammatically wrong, just interesting).

One should at least try to choose the correct words when discussing a one's favorite subject. A couple favorite word choices that regularly get screwed up in the gun and self-defense world:

discreet/discrete: one means to not draw attention, the other means a separate entity

role-/roll- playing: one means acting (as in taking the part of the bad guy in a self-defense training scenario), the other means... I dunno, tumbling across the floor I guess. I suppose "roll-playing" happens in tactical classes.

Frankly, we could use some more grammar Nazis. We just need to put them to work in the schools instead of the internet forums.

ETA: Oh, I forgot to put in: "Celibatory gunfire" is pretty funny tho -- When I first saw it I thought someone was talking about one of those robbers that tries to yank his pistol out of the front of his waistband and instead lights one off in his shorts. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom