• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What, exactly, is the value of allies that fall all over themselves to do business with Iran and undercut sanctions, with China and sell their soul to Huawei as well as willingly mortgage themselves to the 'benevolence' of Russian natural gas suppliers. Lately they have demonstrated Biden-like foreign policy acumen. What's their respect worth if it can be bought? If we want someone to hold our coat for us while we do the heavy lifting, we'll get Canada

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    From NYT

In the interview with The Times, Mr. Parnas said that although he did not speak with Mr. Trump directly about the efforts, he met with the president on several occasions and was told by Mr. Giuliani that Mr. Trump was kept in the loop.

So now he didn't talk to him.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    There are a number of ways to defend the necessity of being well-respected in the world. The economic implications are certainly something I think you and I would agree with, but I'm not sure the luddites here would necessarily understand that.

I'm not going to spend the time defending the position however. It is either understood or it is not.

Is luddites gooder or badder than deplorables? Might surprise you what us mere deplorables understand.

Also, it's not respect when they laugh at you behind your back, and work to subvert everything the US stands for.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Trump said:
    I JUST GOT IMPEACHED FOR MAKING A PERFECT PHONE CALL!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1217909231946477575

EOcQwQSW4AAGAP6

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    What, exactly, is the value of allies that fall all over themselves to do business with Iran and undercut sanctions, with China and sell their soul to Huawei as well as willingly mortgage themselves to the 'benevolence' of Russian natural gas suppliers. Lately they have demonstrated Biden-like foreign policy acumen. What's their respect worth if it can be bought? If we want someone to hold our coat for us while we do the heavy lifting, we'll get Canada

That assumes we have a long-term strategic view, Bug. I'm fairly certain that it does not exist. But I don't think we can be seen as the "shining city on the hill" on one side of the coin and then avoid the roles required of a superpower on the other. I think most of the pundits and economists see us as perhaps losing our position as that shining city. STEM is becoming more global where it once was America's strength. Military might is one strength...but, truthfully, when we place high value on individual lives of our men and women in the field (nothing wrong with that by any means!), what true "dominance" do we have? We failed at our occupation of Iraq...for many reasons. Primarily, it seems to me, was our failure to recognize the need to be there in the first place. Perhaps it was a bridging strategy until we could achieve more control and develop our internal energy sources. Perhaps it was something else. But Iraq is a bigger failure than Vietnam with potentially longer consequences.

China is investing heavily in Africa. A continent larger than the North America and China, combined in terms of surface area. If China is doing something, it often makes me wonder what they see in the long view and to attempt to suss out their objectives. I hope we are doing the same thing at our think tanks. It doesn't appear that our foreign economic policies of the last 20 years shows any consistent long view.

Our post-USSR collapse actions don't appear to exhibit anything close to a cohesive strategy for us to retain dominance as the best-in-world sovereign state throughout the remainder of the 21st century.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But please don't attempt to convince rational people that Trump has integrity, honesty and selflessness as key personality traits. He's a lying ******* and the sooner he's gone, the better the chance that we will once again regain respect among our allies.

You remind me of pathetic parents wanting to be their child's friend. "Oh please do not upset Johnny, he such a terror when he's upset."

I want real earned respect from our allies for making the tough decisions, the adult country acting like an adult. Not the terrorist appeasement country. "Oh Johnny if you do good i will give you a video game." Er, a pallet of money... At some point we must have respect for the strong leadership we give the world, not going along with the latest climate fad agreement.

Man up, pus**es down...

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You remind me of pathetic parents wanting to be their child's friend. "Oh please do not upset Johnny, he such a terror when he's upset."

I want real earned respect from our allies for making the tough decisions, the adult country acting like an adult. Not the terrorist appeasement country. "Oh Johnny if you do good i will give you a video game." Er, a pallet of money... At some point we must have respect for the strong leadership we give the world, not going along with the latest climate fad agreement.

Man up, pus**es down...

So you're not a Trump supporter then 'eh?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom