Not open for further replies.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    BugI02; said:
    Cease and desist, THE is a copywritten trademark of THE Ohio State University

Ah sorry, "The" can not be copyrighted, they didn't invent the word "The", now it included with the phrase "The Ohio State University" can be copyrighted by the University.

Matter of fact, OSU tried to copyright "The" and was denied if I remember it right, just like the University of Miami tried a decade ago.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ah sorry, "The" can not be copyrighted, they didn't invent the word "The", now it included with the phrase "The Ohio State University" can be copyrighted by the University.

Matter of fact, OSU tried to copyright "The" and was denied if I remember it right, just like the University of Miami tried a decade ago.

Correct, but they deserve to be ruthlessly mocked for making THE attempt (which was the purpose of the post you quoted)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That assumes we have a long-term strategic view, Bug. I'm fairly certain that it does not exist. But I don't think we can be seen as the "shining city on the hill" on one side of the coin and then avoid the roles required of a superpower on the other. I think most of the pundits and economists see us as perhaps losing our position as that shining city. STEM is becoming more global where it once was America's strength. Military might is one strength...but, truthfully, when we place high value on individual lives of our men and women in the field (nothing wrong with that by any means!), what true "dominance" do we have? We failed at our occupation of Iraq...for many reasons. Primarily, it seems to me, was our failure to recognize the need to be there in the first place. Perhaps it was a bridging strategy until we could achieve more control and develop our internal energy sources. Perhaps it was something else. But Iraq is a bigger failure than Vietnam with potentially longer consequences.

China is investing heavily in Africa. A continent larger than the North America and China, combined in terms of surface area. If China is doing something, it often makes me wonder what they see in the long view and to attempt to suss out their objectives. I hope we are doing the same thing at our think tanks. It doesn't appear that our foreign economic policies of the last 20 years shows any consistent long view.

Our post-USSR collapse actions don't appear to exhibit anything close to a cohesive strategy for us to retain dominance as the best-in-world sovereign state throughout the remainder of the 21st century.

We do have a long term strategic view and manifestly are taking on those 'roles of a superpower'. We are doing the utmost to prevent a dangerously unstable theocracy from developing and posessing nuclear weapons and severely destabilizing the ME or indeed possibly triggering Armegeddon (without meaningful help from our 'allies'). We are trying to slap some sense into Germany (who have idled their nuclear generation capacity and are now talking of doing the same with coal fired plants) before they put themselves in position to be completely at the mercy of Russias energy blackmail. We are attempting to prevent the breakdown in intelligence sharing that will be necessitated if the EU allows Huawei to build critical infrastructure in future communication systems that will almost certainly contain hidden vulnerabilities and backdoors at the behest of the Chinese military. All these without help from our 'allies' and indeed against their active resistance.

Our job as a superpower is not to rubber-stamp their bad decisions. We are also doing the heavy lifting to rein in China and preserve a strong economy and manufacturing base that are necessary to remain a super power. Placing a high value on our fighting men and women will just accelerate the transition to robots being the only forces placed in harms way in many circumstances and allow for greater application of force when there is no longer worries about downed pilots being burned alive in cages.
    We should have failed at our occupation of Iraq, trying to hold territory in crazy town has been shown again and again in history to be a bad idea - did we think the parameters would suddenly change for us? Think of how much better off we'd be if we'd just gone in and killed all the sketchy players and then left, or indeed if we had only gone into Afghanistan and left Hussein alone.

China is investing heavily in a money pit called Africa, which only has strategic value for raw materials and near zero long term reliability from their 'partners'. They will lose their ass. There may be some embargo of strategic materials plays, but that will just accelerate the discovery of alternatives or encourage recycling, both of which will strengthen our technological edge. That the continent is 'big' is an impediment rather than an advantage, the Chinese have failed to learn from history in their desire to set up their own Raj. They will relearn that lesson the hard way on that continent.

On the contrary; renewed strength at home, the defeat of educational masturbation by the re-election of Trump and the devaluation of -studies degrees and the re-establishment of an atmosphere conducive to innovation in ways totalitarian regimes just cannot match will make the 21st century the second American century not an occasion for gloom and doom. It is within our grasp, all we have to do is make the effort

Edit:For whatever reason, edit post will not allow me to indent the start of the paragraphs when i save the changes

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We do have a long term strategic view and manifestly are taking on those 'roles of a superpower'. We are doing the utmost to prevent a dangerously unstable theocracy from developing and posessing nuclear weapons and severely destabilizing the ME or indeed possibly triggering Armegeddon (without meaningful help from our 'allies'). We are trying to slap some sense into Germany (who have idled their nuclear generation capacity and are now talking of doing the same with coal fired plants) before they put themselves in position to be completely at the mercy of Russias energy blackmail. We are attempting to prevent the breakdown in intelligence sharing that will be necessitated if the EU allows Huawei to build critical infrastructure in future communication systems that will almost certainly contain hidden vulnerabilities and backdoors at the behest of the Chinese military. All these without help from our 'allies' and indeed against their active resistance. Our job as a superpower is not to rubber-stamp their bad decisions. We are also doing the heavy lifting to rein in China and preserve a strong economy and manufacturing base that are necessary to remain a super power. Placing a high value on our fighting men and women will just accelerate the transition to robots being the only forces placed in harms way in many circumstances and allow for greater application of force when there is no longer worries about downed pilots being burned alive in cages. We should have failed at our occupation of Iraq, trying to hold territory in crazy town has been shown again and again in history to be a bad idea - did we think the parameters would suddenly change for us? Think of how much better off we'd be if we'd just gone in and killed all the sketchy players and then left, or indeed if we had only gone into Afghanistan and left Hussein alone. China is investing heavily in a money pit called Africa, which only has strategic value for raw materials and near zero long term reliability from their 'partners'. They will lose their ass. There may be some embargo of strategic materials plays, but that will just accelerate the discovery of alternatives or encourage recycling, both of which will strengthen our technological edge. That the continent is 'big' is an impediment rather than an advantage, the Chinese have failed to learn from history in their desire to set up their own Raj. They will relearn that lesson the hard way on that continent. On the contrary; renewed strength at home, the defeat of educational masturbation by the re-election of Trump and the devaluation of -studies degrees and the re-establishment of an atmosphere conducive to innovation in ways totalitarian regimes just cannot match will make the 21st century the second American century not an occasion for gloom and doom. It is within our grasp, all we have to do is make the effort

Paragraphs. Use them. Please.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We do have a long term strategic view and manifestly are taking on those 'roles of a superpower'. We are doing the utmost to prevent a dangerously unstable theocracy from developing and posessing nuclear weapons and severely destabilizing the ME or indeed possibly triggering Armegeddon (without meaningful help from our 'allies'). We are trying to slap some sense into Germany (who have idled their nuclear generation capacity and are now talking of doing the same with coal fired plants) before they put themselves in position to be completely at the mercy of Russias energy blackmail. We are attempting to prevent the breakdown in intelligence sharing that will be necessitated if the EU allows Huawei to build critical infrastructure in future communication systems that will almost certainly contain hidden vulnerabilities and backdoors at the behest of the Chinese military. All these without help from our 'allies' and indeed against their active resistance.

Our job as a superpower is not to rubber-stamp their bad decisions. We are also doing the heavy lifting to rein in China and preserve a strong economy and manufacturing base that are necessary to remain a super power. Placing a high value on our fighting men and women will just accelerate the transition to robots being the only forces placed in harms way in many circumstances and allow for greater application of force when there is no longer worries about downed pilots being burned alive in cages.
    We should have failed at our occupation of Iraq, trying to hold territory in crazy town has been shown again and again in history to be a bad idea - did we think the parameters would suddenly change for us? Think of how much better off we'd be if we'd just gone in and killed all the sketchy players and then left, or indeed if we had only gone into Afghanistan and left Hussein alone.

China is investing heavily in a money pit called Africa, which only has strategic value for raw materials and near zero long term reliability from their 'partners'. They will lose their ass. There may be some embargo of strategic materials plays, but that will just accelerate the discovery of alternatives or encourage recycling, both of which will strengthen our technological edge. That the continent is 'big' is an impediment rather than an advantage, the Chinese have failed to learn from history in their desire to set up their own Raj. They will relearn that lesson the hard way on that continent.

On the contrary; renewed strength at home, the defeat of educational masturbation by the re-election of Trump and the devaluation of -studies degrees and the re-establishment of an atmosphere conducive to innovation in ways totalitarian regimes just cannot match will make the 21st century the second American century not an occasion for gloom and doom. It is within our grasp, all we have to do is make the effort

Edit:For whatever reason, edit post will not allow me to indent the start of the paragraphs when i save the changes

MUCH better. Thank you. :)

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

I sincerely hope you are right and this is truly within grasp. The left dominated media and education system are powerful tools that work against our nation. It will take a LOT of effort to fix these areas and to bring them to a pro-America position.
    There are literally millions and millions of people that are not politically aware and don't care enough to become aware. They get their information and opinions from what little exposure they have to what is going on and that information and opinions come from the left propaganda machine in place in the media and education system. They do not have nor want exposure to what is really happening to our country.

This situation means a much smaller number of leftist radicals have a disproportionate input into the opinions of this larger uninformed group. This is a very dangerous time to be a free nation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I sincerely hope you are right and this is truly within grasp. The left dominated media and education system are powerful tools that work against our nation. It will take a LOT of effort to fix these areas and to bring them to a pro-America position.
    There are literally millions and millions of people that are not politically aware and don't care enough to become aware. They get their information and opinions from what little exposure they have to what is going on and that information and opinions come from the left propaganda machine in place in the media and education system. They do not have nor want exposure to what is really happening to our country.

This situation means a much smaller number of leftist radicals have a disproportionate input into the opinions of this larger uninformed group. This is a very dangerous time to be a free nation.

Wait, you're saying this is unique to the left? Because it seem that's what you're saying. If it is, you have just illustrated that you have fallen victim to the very thing you were railing against. Limited exposure to what's really going on.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Wait, you're saying this is unique to the left? Because it seem that's what you're saying. If it is, you have just illustrated that you have fallen victim to the very thing you were railing against. Limited exposure to what's really going on.

I don't see any logic in how you are twisting this. You will have to explain a little more.

I did not say anything is unique, not sure where that came from.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Starting at ground level...
    Do you agree that the MSM is left-biased?
    Do you agree that the education system is left-biased?

(I am willing to discuss this further but right now I have no choice - I have to go blow a bunch of snow or I won't be able to get to my grandson's hockey game this afternoon.)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Most of the left is politically indoctrinated and purposefully kept ignorant by MSM, schools, and social media. If people only follow the previously mentioned sources they have virtually NO knowledge of...

China signing phase one of a major trade deal.

The USMCA deal that just passed the Senate.

That US housing starts are at a 13 year high.

The stock market has recently just set another all time record. (This shows just how serious impeachment is, the market does not care.)

That consumer confidence is at a 20 year high.

This list is just from the last couple of weeks, not a multi-year term. If there is limited exposure it is the left that is affected. To be conservative means hearing all the MSM bs, even if you don't want to and then searching for the news they purposely leave out.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Most of the left is politically indoctrinated and purposefully kept ignorant by MSM, schools, and social media. If people only follow the previously mentioned sources they have virtually NO knowledge of...

China signing phase one of a major trade deal.

The USMCA deal that just passed the Senate.

That US housing starts are at a 13 year high.

The stock market has recently just set another all time record. (This shows just how serious impeachment is, the market does not care.)

That consumer confidence is at a 20 year high.

Agreed.

This list is just from the last couple of weeks, not a multi-year term. If there is limited exposure it is the left that is affected. To be conservative means NOT hearing all the MSM bs, even if you don't want to and then searching for the news they purposely leave out.

FTFY

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Starting at ground level...
    Do you agree that the MSM is left-biased?
    Do you agree that the education system is left-biased?

(I am willing to discuss this further but right now I have no choice - I have to go blow a bunch of snow or I won't be able to get to my grandson's hockey game this afternoon.)

1. Yes
    2. No

Get that done. You'll have lot more fun at your grandson's hockey game, that talking to dummies like me.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    No one on the left does, they in fact believe it is too far right biased.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom