• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you have the most sensational story and get it out first, you create a massive problem for someone trying to defendant himself. People have a tendency to believe what they hear first and it is between extremely difficult and impossible to change their minds.

A couple of pithy saying:

t-lie-goes-half-around-world-before-truth.jpg

f291f672a5d143e9dab03d64eb631f54.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Your talking 5000 or more mother cows at this facility, even a percent or two death loss is a lot and I’ll bet they are up around 20%.
    These are Holstein milk cows, calves are a by-product and heifer calves are all they want, even then only out of the best cows, bull calves are more or less worthless in that breed.
    Holsteins as a breed have been refined for one thing produce milk. In doing that they have lost, compromised other less important traits, traits that beef producers look for like good mothering abilities, strong calves have been ignored in Holsteins.
    Most of these calves would likely die if left with the mothers. Not because she doesn’t necessarily want the calf but because she no longer has the ability to care for it. She is no longer built to nurse a calf, her calf has likely lost the vigor and instinct to nurse from her. These are traits we target in the beef industry not so much in the dairy, you can’t have everything.

FOF has barns in Jasper County where they take the bull calves to raise for veal. Even those losses matter to their bottom line.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Abuse allegations aside, I'm not buying the idea that Mike McCloskey didn't know the bull calfs were being sold to veal farms. That sounds like total BS to me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Abuse allegations aside, I'm not buying the idea that Mike McCloskey didn't know the bull calfs were being sold to veal farms. That sounds like total BS to me.

That did not help his credibility, in my book.

Better to not say anything because the whole "calves sold for veal" is a complete non-issue. Claim "I didn't know nothin' and you make it an issue.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    One of the things i cant understand is why, once FOF found out about the abuse/cruelty, did they not contact the police? Not just animal cruelty, but also destruction of property. The cows/calves are propert of FOF, so i would think that would be a possible charge as well.

If the owner was so concerned why just fire and let them go?
    From what i understand the Sheriff is inquiring about this as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I grew up in agriculture, and it isn't pretty. Animals were raised, and either sold or eaten. They have value, but they aren't pets and are never considered as such.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Their Havarti pepper cheese is sooooooo goooooood

I'm looking at ordering some of that along with a couple other cheeses and some summer sausage. Thanks to those dipstick activists, I'll be enjoying this stuff on my back porch soon! I'll post up on that Havarti pepper cheese. You piqued my curiosity! Lol!

Does anyone have any coupons? The only shipping I see is $15 flat rate 2nd day. Ouch!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Contact the police? Really?

C'mon.

Why not? You have people beating calves, some of which im sure died (damaging your property, loss of ownership) which costs the owner money. If that was me as the owner, I sure as hell would call the police.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why not? You have people beating calves, some of which im sure died (damaging your property, loss of ownership) which costs the owner money. If that was me as the owner, I sure as hell would call the police.

Agreed. Even if the calves were pets and not a "cash crop" I would call the police if someone was abusing them. My preference would be to deliver "justice" in person, but you know...

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The other issue I have with this situation is that the video response acts like this happened in a vacuum. Where were the managers for these individuals?

Either they knew about it and were bad managers or they didn’t and they were bad managers. Either way they should have been sent down the road the same as the people shown. Failure to hold middle management responsibile makes me wonder if this problem was already known about and tolerated by those in charge.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

You fire the person and move on.

In a normal case, without a video, there will likely be no arrests and certainly no prosecution. At most, even with a video, it’s a low level misdemeanor.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I grew up in agriculture, and it isn't pretty. Animals were raised, and either sold or eaten. They have value, but they aren't pets and are never considered as such.

This exactly. Ag animals are NOT pets. You raise them up as fast as you can in as short a time as possible and then you kill them. Even layers and milkers are only valuable so long as they're laying and milking.

It can be easy to get desensitized to the fact that they are living feeling creatures. Especially when you work on the killing end of the meat business.

When you work in the birthing barn and everything is new and cute and adorable it's easy to throw stones at the guys making veal out of the cute little baby cows.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    This exactly. Ag animals are NOT pets. You raise them up as fast as you can in as short a time as possible and then you kill them. Even layers and milkers are only valuable so long as they're laying and milking.

It can be easy to get desensitized to the fact that they are living feeling creatures. Especially when you work on the killing end of the meat business.

When you work in the birthing barn and everything is new and cute and adorable it's easy to throw stones at the guys making veal out of the cute little baby cows.

The birthing barns on a CAFO can also desensitize you. There are not measures taken to save those weak babies. I know with the pigs, a sow having trouble delivering usually gets put down and a c-section is done immediately thereafter to save the babies. A sow that can't produce is no good to them. Vet care costs money. When my daughter took the job in the farrowing barn, I pointed out to her it was not going to be anything like birthing time in our goat herd when she was in 4-H where we intervened or called the vet if needed.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You fire the person and move on.

In a normal case, without a video, there will likely be no arrests and certainly no prosecution. At most, even with a video, it’s a low level misdemeanor.

This is why bad doctors and nurses don’t lose their licenses. They’re just fired or told to quit and allowed to move on

Top Bottom