• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Someone I work with's daughter has a milk allergy. People assume this means "lactose intolerant" and she'll get diarrhea and cramps. Nope. It's anaphylaxis. She has had numerous people intentionally give her kid something with milk in it because they didn't think it was a serious thing. Not all wheat allergy is a gluten-sensitivity/celiac.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Exactly. There is a huge difference between sensitivity/intolerance to a food and an actual allergy. Serious food allergies usually lead to anaphylaxis and, if untreated, death. My mom is allergic to sulfites, the preservative used in coconut, dried fruit, and wine. She pretty much has to avoid most cakes and cookies unless there is an ingredient list.

Restaurant personnel should be better trained in this subject. Often I will ask if something has coconut in it because my mom is allergic to coconut, and they will say "probably not" or "I don't think so". When I tell them she could die if she eats coconut, they're like "OMG really? Let me go check, then."

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seriously dude, you need to relax and come off your high horse. As a parent of a kid with a severe peanut allergy, we do ask that they check ingredients and ensure none are processed in a facility that also processes peanuts.

Peanut allergy, fine. Shellfish allergy, fine. Something you ate and tolerated just fine until last Tuesday but now because you "have more energy" or whatever you've decided you have Celiac's Disease and act like the crouton you ate a few days ago thoughtlessly will now cause you to explode it is passes near your salad...attention seeking.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Too much garlic gives me 'agita,' but I don't care. Bless u proton pump inibitors. My wife and one daughter are gluten free. I love gluten. I love my wife and daughters. Someone here used the term 'first world issues.' There are worse hobbies than avoiding gluten. I think many people are experimenting with gluten free. Real allergies are scary.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How come its now fashionable to be "gluten intolerant"? Do adults suddenly develop food allergies, and if so, is it more prevalent when they hear about it on their Facebook page or what? More importantly, why do they feel the need to now talk about it constantly and how superior their new diet is to how you eat. Holy crap, I thought vegans were annoying. Anti-gluteners are like vegans who just quit smoking and converted to a new religion after running their first mini-marathon the day they bought a Prius because its just the right thing to do for our Earth, you know, and you'd feel a lot better if you'd stop doing all the things I did until last Tuesday because I'm so much happier until I learn about the next cool new trend I'm missing out on that will make my life complete.

**Deep cleansing breath**

I don't see BBI's comments as an attack on those with real allergies but a commentary on the fad-seeking, herd mentality, do-as-I-do, 21st century, 1st world problem sufferers around us.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Agreed. I don't see a reason for hostility, although it's easy to be passionate about it when it involves family members.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    Celiac disease is horrible an ex GF has it and suffers bad she is unable to even handle anything with wheat gluten in it.

manygunsmike

I feel bad for people with Celiac disease because of glutenphobic people. My problem with non-gluten people is they often want to evangelize gluten-free as the cure for any problem you may have, as if gluten was truly the problem for everything, included ADHD of course. Some people are starting to think that GMOs or some other mutation in American grains are to blame for increasing intolerance since it is less prevalent in Europe (supposedly). However there won't be any research on the matter in this country for a long, long time.

Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    I developed some pretty severe food allergies as I "matured"...eggs, black pepper, soy,protein are the top violators, which means there are very few restaurants that we can go to. I agree, restaurant staff really do need to be better informed- or maybe even informed- about food allergies, cross-contamination, and a modicum of tolerance. It is really not fun to go out for dinner with the family and sit there eating plain french fries and pretend that it is just as yummy as the steak or triple-layer chocolate fudge cake that everyone else at the table has....

And sometimes food reactions can take two to four hours to show up as the body digests the food. My nephew, who also has severe food allergies, had his first glass of wine on his 21st birthday, and four hours later was in the ER covered in hives.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Before we knew about the sulfite allergy, I baked my mom a German Chocolate cake with extra coconut in the icing. Five minutes after eating a piece, she said "why is the roof of my mouth itching?". I said "GET IN THE CAR". By the time I drove the three blocks to the hospital and got her in to the ER, she was in full anaphylactic shock, and we almost lost her.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    We need to note that there is a difference between being Lactose intolerant or Gluten intolerant and being allergic to something like peanuts or shellfish. If your body is intolerant to something like lactose it will make your life miserable but rarely kills you. Real, live allergies can flat out kill you if they are not treated quickly.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The ones I see are utter nonsense.

"Look at me" or "Have pity on me" or "I throw a fuss and that way my case will go away".

E.g., "I'm diabetic and they are killing me." He wasn't diabetic, and it was a way to try to get better jail food.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    We just discovered that my wife is gluten intolerant. After about 5 years of her suffering from constipation, bloating, upset stomach, migraines, and lack of energy, we decided to cut out wheat products for a while. Within 2 weeks, almost all symptoms were gone. Gluten intolerance is a real thing that can make your life absolutely miserable.

That being said, we don't expect anyone else to conform to our particular diet. When we go out to eat, she orders food without wheat products in them. She doesn't ever "special order" her food. She has just learned what foods to stay away from. She doesn't broadcast her condition either, like it makes her "cool". She has just learned to adapt.

Now, sometimes she does have a craving for bread and pasta. (she is a carb junkie) And sometimes she eats it anyway knowing full well that she will pay for it later. Like this morning she had a biscuit with her breakfast. Took about an hour for it to hit her. Once you cut out gluten from your diet, just a small amount of wheat product will cause discomfort.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Too much spicy food makes me wish that I would have chased it down with some Ice Cream the next day. "Come On Ice Cream" is what I'm saying as I'm holding the handicap rails with a death grip. :):

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Yeah this stuff is definitely getting annoying. I know a couple people that really are but I see many that just want attention too!

Top Bottom