• ...and so much more!
  • rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    As of late I carry a S&W 442 PC either in a Mika pocket holster or OWB in an El Paso JIT style holster. If I leave the revolver at the house I carry a S&W M&P9c with an Apex FSS kit. If I'm in a suit I will most likely have a Walther PPS in a Desantis New York Undercover shoulder rig.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So a Hi Power or a P226 SAO would be okay?

The most technical answer is I can carry anything I want off duty.

I cannot qualify on any SAO handgun, though. I have to have a handgun I'm qualified on for it to "count" when I'm driving my police car, working part-time, etc.

For me to qualify on a handgun, it has to meet all of the following requirements:
    .380 to .45 (note it's by nominal diameter, so .45 Colt and the various .44s are allowed)
    5" barrel or less
    No SAO only.
    5 shot minimium
    Must load with quality expanding ammunition. Issued ammunition is preferred, but during The Great Ammo Shortage, it was amended so you could source your own.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As long as they aren't carried cocked-and-locked. For some reason we can't be trusted with guns in condition 1.

The most technical answer is I can carry anything I want off duty.

I cannot qualify on any SAO handgun, though. I have to have a handgun I'm qualified on for it to "count" when I'm driving my police car, working part-time, etc.

For me to qualify on a handgun, it has to meet all of the following requirements:
    .380 to .45 (note it's by nominal diameter, so .45 Colt and the various .44s are allowed)
    5" barrel or less
    No SAO only.
    5 shot minimium
    Must load with quality expanding ammunition. Issued ammunition is preferred, but during The Great Ammo Shortage, it was amended so you could source your own.

Ah! Do the IMPD Overlords have a SAO/cocked hammer/condition 1 phobia?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I never knew about the “cocked and locked” phobia?
    So a 1911 with a thumb and grip safety is not as safe a a striker fired pistol ?
    My thoughts would be the image of a hammer back would scare some of the public?

Shield 9 mm
    low threat area light weight clothing

Sig 250c
    high/medium threat area causal wear

S&W M66 4in
    Retro carry in bianchi owb

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I never knew about the “cocked and locked” phobia?
    So a 1911 with a thumb and grip safety is not as safe a a striker fired pistol ?
    My thoughts would be the image of a hammer back would scare some of the public?

I don't think there is any inherent difference in safety of a 1911 and a Glock, but the perception of a cocked and l[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]ocked gun somehow being unsafe persists. When I carried 1911-style pistols, I had people "warn" me that the hammers on my pistols were cocked. They meant well, but it was both amusing and troubling that not only did they perceive that to be a problem, they also believed that I was unaware of the fact that the hammers were cocked.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    EDC...

Every Day Carry.

If you are “rotating” or “mixing it up” or changing it up based on the days outfit, you don’t have an EDC.

Now why do you have to go hating like that? Unfortunately Chez is correct. The problem is different situations might require different handguns. Read this as how you are dressed or where you are at can affect certain choices.

Mon-Fri it’s a Walther PPS. The original one with the paddle magazine release. If I didn’t have this gun already I would opt for a Glock 42 or 43.

Yesterday it was a commander sized 1911 in 9mm.

Today it is a full size 1911 in .45acp.

Special mention goes to my S&W642. When I got home yesterday I just wanted to take off my 2lb+ gun and chill. The snubby slipped right in my pocket. It has been known to just follow me around sometimes.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Now why do you have to go hating like that? Unfortunately Chez is correct. The problem is different situations might require different handguns. Read this as how you are dressed or where you are at can affect certain choices.

Mon-Fri it’s a Walther PPS. The original one with the paddle magazine release. If I didn’t have this gun already I would opt for a Glock 42 or 43.

Yesterday it was a commander sized 1911 in 9mm.

Today it is a full size 9mm in .45acp.

wow-smiley-face-clipart-1.jpg

Top Bottom