• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    wow-smiley-face-clipart-1.jpg

Typo. Fixed it. Nothing full size about a 9mm.

Oops the OP said no caliber wars. But on the bright side I am not a pansy about a cocked and locked pistol. That is locked not licked. Check out your previous post. Cocked and licked is something completely different.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't think there is any inherent difference in safety of a 1911 and a Glock, but the perception of a cocked and licked gun somehow being unsafe persists. When I carried 1911-style pistols, I had people "warn" me that the hammers on my pistols were cocked. They meant well, but it was both amusing and troubling that not only did they perceive that to be a problem, they also believed that I was unaware of the fact that the hammers were cocked.

Cocked and licked is definately unsafe in Singapore and Austin, IN

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So a 1911 with a thumb and grip safety is not as safe a a striker fired pistol ?

For someone not properly trained and stress tested? Yes, it is less safe. The number of people who THINK they can run a 1911 well under stress, especially in shoot/no-shoot situations is significantly higher than the number of people who ACTUALLY run a 1911 well under stress, especially in shoot/no-shoot situations.

IMPD does not have a SAO training program (although there was supposed to be one after the merger). I don't see that changing any time soon.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It depends on the day. Days that start with S get a snub in an ankle holster. Days that start with T it is a 1911 OWB. W means Desert Eagle in a shoulder rig, M of course is a CZ S.O.B., and then F is for fun so whatever I feel like.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    S&W Bodyguard is my pocket carry for summer and when ever need to have dress clothes on. Outside the waistband is Khar CW9. At home in the lounge pants is the Keltch P32. Working on the FNS 40 for carry, but have not used the pistol enough that I feel perfectly comfortable (just need to put another few boxes in for practice).

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    Some people just like to switch it up! Especially if you're the type of person with multiple guns. It's hard enough to choose a pistol when your safe has CZs, Glocks, S&W, etc...all good guns all reliable. As long as you're good with operating all your weapons by all means. My view of EDC is use a sub-compact 9mm (G26/Shield/XDS/etc..) for summer because everybody is wearing lighter clothes, bullets don't need a lot to penetrate shirts or light jackets. For the fall a G19/M&P 2.0 FS or Compact (same load, but longer barrel for a stronger and faster bullet). THEN for the winter, bring out the 40 s&w (G23/M&P/etc..) for thicker clothing.

Besides my weapons. I do need to purchase a Trakline belt, mag carrier, and a multi-tool. And my set-up shall be complete.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you carry a talisman that is fine.

If you use a single platform with a variety of models that are all the same controls and grip that is fine.

If you are totally proficient with every pistol that you carry that is also fine.

If none of the above are applicable, please stick to the gun that you are most familiar and proficient with.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Glock 19 Gen 4 MOS
    -Overwatch Precision TAC trigger
    -Trijicon RMR, RM06
    -Trijicon Bright and Tough Suppressor height sights, vials only front and back
    -Hyve Technologies extended mag release
    -Glock extended slide stop lever
    -Vicker's base plates

Usually carried owb in a bravo concealment bca or iwb in an incog, both at 3/4 o'clock

Planning some slide work this year to add at least some front cocking serrations.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If you carry a talisman that is fine.

If you use a single platform with a variety of models that are all the same controls and grip that is fine.

If you are totally proficient with every pistol that you carry that is also fine.

If none of the above are applicable, please stick to the gun that you are most familiar and proficient with.

Bah! That is far too logical and not enough fun. I don't carry with the thought that I may actually have to use my gun for a deadly force encounter.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a couple of "issues" that make my choices somewhat limited, depending on the day.
    I work general construction. From day to day, it's hard to tell what working conditions will be in store.
    I may be replacing a kitchen sink, or could be drywall work. It might be running wire for a new light, or adding a concrete sidewalk.

I could be inside, maybe outside. In an attic or crawl space.
    I've been paid to plant flowers in the garden, hang pictures on the wall. I've even been paid to shoot holes in a warehouse ceiling.
    I might get wet, or dusty, or covered in insulation...been there, done that.

Since I don't know what conditions I may be faced with, and the fact that I sweat profusely in hot weather, I tend to choose revolvers, and ones that are especially resistant to rust.

Lately it's been a titanium Taurus model 445 in .44special.
    I carry a couple of speed loaders just in case.
    I also have a titanium Taurus model 605 in .357magnum that can get carried at times. I also carry speed loaders with the .357.

It's hard telling what I might be carrying when not woring.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    445prvJh.jpg

For me it varies, though I do generally keep my pistol platform the same in that I 90% of the time carry a 1911 style gun (with the same weight triggers and grip thickness). Most of the time I carry my Dan Wesson VBOB or ECO both IWB at 4'O Clock. For days when I want a bigger gun and don't really cary about concealment I carry the Operator in its OWB holster, usually now a days I run a spare magazine weak side as well. The knives are just utility tools so it does not matter to me all are extremely sharp. The J-Frame is my "run to the gas station" gun it only weighs 12oz so I can carry it wearing literally almost anything including athletic shorts and sweat pants (I would rather be "under armed" than not armed at all).

With the exception of the J-Frame (Stealth Gear AIWB) holster all holsters are provided by Milt Sparks, the 1911's are also all chambered in 45ACP with the J-Frame being loaded with 38spl +P

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    445prvJh.jpg

For me it varies, though I do generally keep my pistol platform the same in that I 90% of the time carry a 1911 style gun (with the same weight triggers and grip thickness). Most of the time I carry my Dan Wesson VBOB or ECO both IWB at 4'O Clock. For days when I want a bigger gun and don't really cary about concealment I carry the Operator in its OWB holster, usually now a days I run a spare magazine weak side as well. The knives are just utility tools so it does not matter to me all are extremely sharp. The J-Frame is my "run to the gas station" gun it only weighs 12oz so I can carry it wearing literally almost anything including athletic shorts and sweat pants (I would rather be "under armed" than not armed at all).

With the exception of the J-Frame (Stealth Gear AIWB) holster all holsters are provided by Milt Sparks, the 1911's are also all chambered in 45ACP with the J-Frame being loaded with 38spl +P

Rhino would and could pack all of that at one time. With 5 more knives me thinks....:)

Nice selection.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bah! That is far too logical and not enough fun. I don't carry with the thought that I may actually have to use my gun for a deadly force encounter.

Mon-Fri in the office my handgun is pretty much a tailisman. Getting the shirt untucked to draw the gun is a pain, but faster then a pocket if seated. Maybe??? Well at least it frees up my pocket. CEO is cool with guns but expects us to follow dress code.

While I agree with the one platform rule, I really don’t have a problem switching from a 1911 to the Walther.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    Glock 43 is my EDC but I did pick up the gen 5 Glock 26. Need to get to the range with the 26 and get comfortable with before carrying it also need to pick up a decent iwb holster.

Top Bottom