• KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Happy Veterans Day!
    Today we celebrate all that answered the call to serve, and especially those that didn't make it home. Hollywood rarely gets anything right today, (pun intended) but, today we are graced with a lot of movies about the military struggles we've faced. What's your favorite?
    My personal favorite, "We Were Soldiers".

:patriot: Thanks to all who answered the call.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I like the Finnish flick "The Winter War", 1993 version Stalingrad, and Downfall.

images
    images
    shopping

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    BHD. BoB. Enemy at the Gates. And the newer one with Wahlberg, from the book.

Saw Fury on Sunday. Was not impressed. Good entertainment but nothing spectacular. Besides ,the final scene took way too long (it would have been over in about 3 minutes). There were other instances of poetic license that I thought detracted from it too. It won't make my top 10 list.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Band of Brothers gets my vote, even though it's not really a movie but a series. Also, Saving Private Ryan where that initial beach scene was breathtaking.

Some classic WWII movies, which I grew up watching with my father:

Tora! Tora! Tora!
    The Great Escape
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    The Guns of Navarone

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since you said "movies" as in plural:

Saving Private Ryan(possibly my all time favorite), Yes, I fall for some of that sappy stuff.
    Lone Survivor
    Uncommon Valor
    Band of Brothers
    Enemy at the Gates
    We were Soldiers
    Black Hawk Down

There are many other movies I like but can't think of right now, but those above are the ones I haven't tired of watching yet. And I have watched them several times.

I find it interesting that I tend to enjoy the movies when I have read the books even though the movie is not as good as the book. Looking forward to seeing Unbroken.

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    We Were Soldiers & Apocalypse Now, are my 2 favorites. I had the honor of knowing a Vietnam Veteran, that served his first tour under Col. Moore. He didn't talk about the war much, and I didn't ask.

Thank you to all those that protect the blanket of freedom we all enjoy. :patriot:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We Were Soldiers & Apocalypse Now, are my 2 favorites. I had the honor of knowing a Vietnam Veteran, that served his first tour under Col. Moore. He didn't talk about the war much, and I didn't ask.

Thank you to all those that protect the blanket of freedom we all enjoy. :patriot:

+1

I think Col Moore was before my brother went in 1968. I should ask him if he knew of him.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I can't remember the names, but the WW2 war movies with John Wayne, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, and others of that era have always been favorites of mine. Others include: Tora! Tora! Tora!, Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers.

If you like the last one I listed, get the book, "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young" It's more powerful and graphic than the movie. When I got the book, I read it twice in one week.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I can't remember the names, but the WW2 war movies with John Wayne, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, and others of that era have always been favorites of mine. Others include: Tora! Tora! Tora!, Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers.

If you like the last one I listed, get the book, "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young" It's more powerful and graphic than the movie. When I got the book, I read it twice in one week.

I agree. Great book. In the movie they left out a scene that was described in the book about a guy left out overnight with a machine gun. In the morning when they came to get him, there were over 100 dead enemy around his foxhole. The human resolve is amazing when faced with eminent death.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    What about prior centuries/wars? Civil war, Revolution, European...

Some classic WWII movies, which I grew up watching with my father:

Tora! Tora! Tora!
    The Great Escape
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    The Guns of Navarone

And don't forget Battle of the Bulge from that same era. I had dreams of the rolling barrels and burning hill for many years. Not nightmares, just something that drifted into my head.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    What about prior centuries/wars? Civil war, Revolution, European...

And don't forget Battle of the Bulge from that same era. I had dreams of the rolling barrels and burning hill for many years. Not nightmares, just something that drifted into my head.

My father had a fondness for WWII, for his own personal reasons, and he always enjoyed watching those classic WWII films - and I was his official "go get me this" errand child. So, I was at his side when he watched those movies.

Oh, how I wish I could do that again with him.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Band of Brothers and, its companion mini-series, The Pacific.
    Band of Brothers was very good and, because it was so good, The Pacific is often overlooked. It had a completely different feel to it; it was much more personal.
    I would recommend it.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    1. Band of Brothers- In my opinion hands down the best war movie/series ever.

2. Blackhawk Down- Not far behind Band of Brothers.

3. We Were Soldiers

4. Alamo- Not really a war, more of a battle. A good movie in my opinion nonetheless. Jason Patrick does a great job as Jim Bowie.

I am wanting a really good Revolutionary War or Civil War movie. While The Patriot is a good movie during the Revolutionary War era, it is not great. For the Civil War era we have Glory, Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, all three which are just decent in my opinion.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Lone Survivor - new favorite movie
    Blackhawk Down
    Platoon
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Apocolypse Now