• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • papasmurf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Indy
    Im looking into getting my first handgun. I was wondering what would be a good starter one? Im wanting it to be my first carry and training hangun before I start branching out into the more colorful branches of the handgun tree. Im not looking to break the bank or anything like that but I would like to get something that is reputable. I would prefer it not to be a revolver and be in the 9mm flavor. What are your guys opinions?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    First, GREAT NEWS that you are deciding to start carrying and shooting! Always glad to add responsible people to the ranks!

I agree with everyone recommending heading to a friendly shop and doing some sight seeing, so to speak. But, not just about the gun itself but for the things that help make the gun 'go'. You can get a good 9mm for a good price but it's not so good when the extra mags are either insanely expensive or hard to find or a holster only comes in one style!

I'd recommend a Glock 17 or 19 or the Smith and Wesson M&P9. XDm are good pistols, I'm just not a personal fan; the Glock has the edge on just about every other 9mm since extra magazines, magazine pouches, holsters and anything else you could ever want for it will be easy to find at just about any and every shop under the sun.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Everyone is correct. You will get a lot of people telling you to check out the XDs, Glocks, and Smith & Wesson M&Ps and they are all correct. These are all great guns. But in the end I agree with Sepe. Go into your local gun shop and feel them all up. You will always shoot a better group with a gun that feels more comfortable to you. I don't know if you are willing to drive or not but if so I know that Roby's Bullseye in Kokomo will actually let you shoot a few rounds on their indoor range if you find a used gun you like there to see if you really want it. :ar15:

I'd say go fondle as many 9mm you can if that is what you want. When I get a 9mm it will be a CZ75.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The overwhelming answers seem to go for Glock, or any of the newer plastic guns, but as twitty stated, you will be happiest with the gun that you like.
    I personally dont care for full size plastic guns, or their smaller versions of the full size guns, but you may like them. The best part about buying your first handgun (or any gun for that matter) is getting to look at/hold as many as you can get your hands on. Dont rush into it, and find the one that you are most comfortable with. Who knows, you might even run into a used high-power in your price range if your lucky.

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    I listened to many people, most of which talked Glock and more Glock. Then I went to a few shops and fell in love with the Kahr CW9. Find what works best for YOU!!! You may want to go to a range that rents pistols and shot a few.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    outside the box

I'm going to suggest something different. I think we generally like what we are most used to and comfortable with. My first was a 1911 because thats what i shot in the military. That and the baretta 9's. Funny still to this day, those are my two most favorite guns despite all the new cool stuff thats come out. And the simpler the better. Also there is nothing more classical and fun to play with than a 1911.

Top Bottom