• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I found the old West German guns were best between serial number 400000 and 550000. They had the best fit and highest quality parts.

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    The original 228s seems to have all been pretty much high quality, so I have nothing but good things to say about all of them.

The X-5 line are great. The Frames, slides and barrels are all excellent quality. The internals are all MIM just like everything else, but they're still great guns.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Hey, that's my article!! :D Thanks for posting the link Demo.

Congrats on the new purchase. The 6xx serial number are made within the last 4-5 years, they're great guns and will run forever.

If you have any technical issues or want information on how the trigger can be improved, let me know.

Scott

Thanks. I would love to know how the trigger can be improved. (Not that i think it is bad as is. Seems really nice so far but i only have 2 mags through it. :()

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    The DA and SA can be smoothed out and lightened up and the reset can be reduced to less than half what it is now.

Sigs are great guns, the problem is that most people don't give them the time of day because of their heavy, gritty DA and their long resets. With some work, a Sig's trigger can be improved to be just as nice as anything else.

Their quality and reliability is second to none, they're more costly than most other guns, but in my opinion, well worth every penny.

Scott

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    The DA and SA can be smoothed out and lightened up and the reset can be reduced to less than half what it is now.

Sigs are great guns, the problem is that most people don't give them the time of day because of their heavy, gritty DA and their long resets. With some work, a Sig's trigger can be improved to be just as nice as anything else.

Their quality and reliability is second to none, they're more costly than most other guns, but in my opinion, well worth every penny.

Scott

The few Sig's i have held before the P226 were both DA only. But the P226 is DA/SA which was the biggest selling point for me. I would like to remove most of the "free" travel in front of the SA engagement point though.

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    That's known as Pretravel. There really is no way to eliminate the pretravel of the system, unless you converted it to SAO, in which case it would be very minimal.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, when I can cobble together the funds the X-Five will be going out for the Full Monty work - starting with the trigger reset. Hey, did the improved machined internal extractor ever make it to fruition for the X-Five?

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    The internal extractors are in the X-5, but I don't know if they ever improved the design to make them work better. The last X-5 that I worked on was the 9 Major Open gun for a good customer/friend of mine in NC, I replaced his slide with one for a Sport Stock P226 so I could eliminate the internal extractor issues.

I've always had good luck manually tensioning the extractors in the X-5s, problem is they can lose tension if you have a real spicy round.

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City

Scott

my p6 came with a heavy da trigger, but i wouldn't consider any of my sigs to have a gritty trigger. and my p220 has the short reset trigger. that is worth checking out.

i think most people don't consider them because of the price. but agreed, worth every penny. nothing feels better in my hand.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    The Sig DAK trigger series = awesome DAO trigger pulls; smooth, light, no stacking, dual (long/short) reset points.

I like DAK's almost as much as I like pie.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks everyone for the congrats and advise so far!

The Sig DAK trigger series = awesome DAO trigger pulls; smooth, light, no stacking, dual (long/short) reset points.

I like DAK's almost as much as I like pie.

I was wondering what the DAK trigger listed on Sig's site was about. How can it have a long and short reset points?

I sent a pm to you let me know if you have received it.

Yep got it. Shot you one back. Sorry for the delay.

That's known as Pretravel. There really is no way to eliminate the pretravel of the system, unless you converted it to SAO, in which case it would be very minimal.

Thats what i figured. I will finally get to shoot more rounds through it this evening (all i have shot so far is one mag). I will get familiar with the trigger and let you know what i think of it.

my p6 came with a heavy da trigger, but i wouldn't consider any of my sigs to have a gritty trigger. and my p220 has the short reset trigger. that is worth checking out.

i think most people don't consider them because of the price. but agreed, worth every penny. nothing feels better in my hand.

I have been interested in them for awhile, but like other guns i like and don't buy the price was keeping me at bay. But i got a deal on this one from a family member who just wanted to "get rid of it". And now i will be keeping an eye out for another one. :D Probably one of the more compact versions in 9mm.

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    my p6 came with a heavy da trigger, but i wouldn't consider any of my sigs to have a gritty trigger.

The P6 and other older guns certainly had much smoother DA pulls, that's due to their parts being nicely machined. The modern guns coming out now utilize the MIM process for manufacturing most of the internals and that leaves a lot to be desired in the smoothness department.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm still KINDA new to sigs, but have bought a 226 German, a 229 .22 classic with a .40 centerfire kit from R2MACH1 on Sigforum, and I do recommend him. Also a P6 from a fellow ingo-er, (which I wish I had back,) a nice two tone 239, and the latest, a 238 SAS. I've only kept three of them, but I do want another P6. Even though it's never going to be an optimal carry piece, it is slim, and I've never had another 9mm shoot smoother for me. It surely is an addiction, isn't it? DAK has some fans, but the SA/DA is part of what I love about 'em. The 238 is SAO, though, being a copy of a Colt Mustang 1911 style. The quality is better than the colts, and makes me want to try Sigs 1911s.
    Congrats on your purchase, and good luck with fighting the sweet addiction!
    Flork is a fixture on Sigforum, and is known to speak the truth, and an authority. Nice to have him on INGO.

Top Bottom