• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Amazon just delivered some sal****er tackle and braided line and today I’m rigging up some poles and practice with the big bait casting reel I just bought. Never had much luck in the past with them. So it’s time to figure this out!! More of a open face reel.. headed out to the pond to see how far it’s out of the banks today. Hope I don’t need the canoe to get there:rolleyes:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Amazon just delivered some sal****er tackle and braided line and today I’m rigging up some poles and practice with the big bait casting reel I just bought. Never had much luck in the past with them. So it’s time to figure this out!! More of a open face reel.. headed out to the pond to see how far it’s out of the banks today. Hope I don’t need the canoe to get there:rolleyes:

Nice. I finally purchased a bait caster n am using 12 lb braid. On my open cast reel I have 12lb mono.

With all this recent rain you might want to bring a canoe haha

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    ready to go....

IrcRn0C.jpg

Man the trees down there are already full of leaves. Spring happens fast south of 70.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana

Baitcasters are the best! Haha setting the spool tension knob and brakes are the most important. Personally I like Shimano braking systems the best. Once you get proficient, you can back them both off to get the full benefits of your baitcaster.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Got my fix this morning. Ordered a new shark rod/reel, heavy tackle. Get to try it out in a couple months.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Head to the north end of lakes and res. Find anything DARK in the water. Tomorrow with the sun coming out you should be able to catch some crappies. I'll post pics when I get back. :): FISH SLOW AND WATCH UR LINE!! this early you may not even feel the bite.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Rigging up sal****er poles with new braided line and cleaning up the sal****er tackle box for the trip to sal****er. How many times can I make the filter work in one post? Sal****er fishing on the pan handle end of March. Waiting on some more sal****er tackle I bought for pompanos and sabiki rigs for bait fish when I go for red fish. Getting closer!

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I've been wanting to fish for a few weeks now. However during this offseason i've definitely armed myself with some new rods and reels. Added a Daiwa Tatula Type-R 8.1.1 on a Dobyns Fury 7' Med-Heavy. Have a Tatula SV TW 103HL 6.3.1 that is going on a Dobyns Champion Extreme next week when i place the order. Not sure if i wanna throw it on a Med-Heavy or go with a Medium Champion XP. I do want it to be as close to a do all setup as i'm a shore fisherman with no boat coming in the near future.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I looked at a couple of those poles online. Trying to decide whether to go medium or heavy. Bidding on a Penn 4500 open face right now. Too many choices. My son gave me a couple of sal****er rigs .. if I want to go shark fishing I’m set up! Think I’m going to clean them up and pass them on. Penn 930 reel and a abu Garcia 5000 reel. There pretty roughy in appearance but seem to function

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Been watching alot of fishing on youtube to try and itch my scratch....it's kinda helping. Watchin them from flordia and texas. Man they have great fishing and weather til the heat of summer kicks in. Then we all arenacrewed. Bought a bait caster and put some 12lb braid on it. Also on my spinning reel put on some 10lb mono. Can't wait to just get lost in nature and catch some fish.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    One of the best things I've done for my fishing is putting braid on my spinning reels. Goodbye line twist and man it cast smooth and far. 15 pound braid with an 8lb flurocarbon leader. Very impressed with the setup.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Braid is nice but it can be abrasive on eyelets and some reels.
    Other setups it does work like magic and does last.

Had some leftover four pound diameter stuff (what maybe 10 pound spider wire) and threw it on an inexpensive Diawa reel for a kid I take with me at times. Worked great until he caught a nice bass on that setup. It cut a nice channel in that cheap reel right into the metal. On quality equipment it works better. Just watch what you place it on. I did take a file and cut down the metal around it but it got replaced before I took him out again. (The drag was also shot) He still talks about that bass jumping out of the water twice and I thought he was about to turn and run up the bank and pull it right out of the lake. Nope he fought it like a little champ.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I went this morning for a few hours.
    I landed 4 decent bass about 2-3 lbs.
    Strike King Swimming jig with sungill pattern/colored swimming trailers. Hopping structure and depth lines out to 6' deep. They were pretty agressive and hit hard. I had 100% hook ups on every hit. 4 hits/4 landed.
    Ambassadeur 4600 Royal reels, 6' Fenwick HMG rods, 14lb clear blue Stren.
    I also found an old soft side tackle box in the boat that's been stored since last fall. It wasn't mine so I called my son. He left it in there and lots of crankbaits rusted. He told me to throw them away. Probably 3 dozen or so baits getting rusted up.
    They'll clean up if messed with. I'm not going to mess with them so I'll take what I want and give the rest of them away on here.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom