• ...and so much more!
  • SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Going to try it tomorrow. Will walk some docks and toss small beetle spins and fight the wind. But will feel good being around the water and thoughts of blue gill and mushrooms.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I'll be hitting up a couple places Friday. Really I just wanna get out and get my two new setups dialed in for what I'll be throwing on em. Maybe I'll catch something if I'm lucky. The warmer Temps are a good sign, just need them to stay steady for once.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    One of the biggest Indiana bass I ever caught was on a cold blustery March day while fishing from the bank. The bass were pre spawn. At first I thought I’d hooked a stick - the fish put up no fight due to cold water temps I’m sure. 6 lbs 10 oz.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    One of the biggest Indiana bass I ever caught was on a cold blustery March day while fishing from the bank. The bass were pre spawn. At first I thought I’d hooked a stick - the fish put up no fight due to cold water temps I’m sure. 6 lbs 10 oz.

That's a big bass!

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Managed to hit a small government pond this afternoon and caught 5 bass all over 1lb. It was a nasty, cold afternoon but was able to get some more experience using a spinning reel. I've always either used baitcasters or a spincast in the past!

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Was in a party of three yesterday that caught 20 keeper size Crappie on minnows in about six ft of water no structure. Southern exposure shore, small lake central Morgan co. The bite is on! Good luck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hoping the crappie bite is just starting down here and I didn't miss prime time in the cold temps.

I'm not happy with wearing a coat to fish, but I had to give it a go the past couple days. The fish were shorter than I'd like and far between, but a few came home on ice.

xeZYPYC.jpg

Certainly enough for a few crappie omelets.

p843YfW.jpg

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    The crappie are biting in Dubois county. Yellow or chartreuse lead head jigs did the trick. I hit the big flea market at Vanderburgh 4H grounds this weekend and scored some great deals on couple of zebco 33s and misc. tackle. Time to hit it hard.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Looking forward to a little Minnesota crappie hunt this weekend. Just purchased my non-resident fishing licence on-line. Early trip to the local fishing store tomorrow to change the line on my ultra-light, pick up some minnows, and heading out to the lake. :rockwoot:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    20180506_125104_zpsjpv98nv4.jpg

Here's a few crappie and sunfish from Sunday morning. A few largemouth on the stringer just for the picture, but threw them back after the pic as not in season yet.

All told for the day, 11 crappie (between morning and evening fishing), 2 sunfish. The cool thing, and I didn't have a counter on me, but during the day threw back about 40 largemouth and 20 walleye. Was fishing on a lake that was inaccesible by car and had to walk through the woods to get to it. The local town had the entrances closed as their working on the roads around the lake. So the lake had had very little fishing pressure in the last year, and not too many people are willing to huff it in through the woods. Was a great fun day. I was fishing with an ultra-light with 4 lb test. One walleye was really nice size, broke the line when I tried to lift it out of the water.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok help out here. Pretty much the only fishing I have been really exposed to has been catfishing and just a dab of bass fishing. So, last year my brother atarted crappie fishing and can't stop talking about how much fun it is. Well, I guess we are going crappie fishing this weekend. Obviously my heavier gear for cats won't do the job. I have a medium light action rod with 10lb test line that has been used for pond fishing a few times. Is that sufficient or overkill?
    What are bait recommendations?
    What else do I need?
    And any tips you would care to share with a crappie newb?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Your setup is sufficient. Depending on how you are fishing really governs line size. I’ve used up to 30lb on “cane poles” when jogging near stumps. Crappie like some type of structure for the most part, brush piles, stumps, etc.

I personally like live minnows the best, but a wide variety of jigs/trailers are available for use. Bobby Garland Baby Shads are my favorite artificial bait on a light jig head.

Top Bottom