20160314_211939.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hope Griffy has some decent sized fish after draining a few years back. Any of the truly great small lakes around here that have been drained have not returned to what they were. Lots of fish, all small.

Griffy used to have great panfish and catfish. Maybe I'll break out the wallet and give it a try this year? Bloomington has set the launch tax pretty high on it and Lemon. :xmad:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i haven't fished Griffy Lemon or any the lakes at Morgan/Monroe since the late 80's ....i grew up in Cascade addition would ride my bike to Griffy to fish and look at the nudies that would sun bath on the dam late mid 70's...:naughty:

i worked on the dam when it was drained in 84.......

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Got first baby bass of the season. The captain thought it was pretty cool.

Attachments

• 7BB3F247-B5BA-43DB-B002-F7148AD23557.jpg
      7BB3F247-B5BA-43DB-B002-F7148AD23557.jpg
      115.3 KB · Views: 14

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Found a project to keep me happy till I can fish. An abandoned cart and some scrap pieces to make some rod holders.
    So it appears I will be making a fishing/pier/trail cart. Nothing in it cost wise yet. But it appears all four tires are shot with dry rot. So at the minimum that is 40-60 dollars. Looks like rual king time soon. Or tractor supply. Or somebody with tires.

This is will be done on the cheap. I plan to reuse older items or scrap conduit as much as possible with the main cosr being tires and spray paint. I have a small scrap pile or two and extra fishing items.

70kexg.jpg

i want to add the normal stuff, cooler, bait cut station, one of the magnetic bars to hold knife and forceps ect, lighting of some kind. Rod holders (already in production. ) a seat, some entertainment stuff and some battery power. I can not go real crazy as it has to fit in a Pontiac Vibe with the seats down. I have to lift it in and out also.

2q3x8n6.jpg

i got four of these rigged up in a little bit of time. They extend 12 inches in the bottom and can be placed in the ground or maybe the go on the cart or I find something else for it.

Anyone ever build a fishing cart or have ideas? I built an ice fishing sled long ago so I have a few ideas.
    I went beach fishing in Florida and saw a couple nice carts. It won’t be that nice but for Indiana redneck fishing I will be driving a caddy to the bridge.

KGS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2014
    Crawfordsville
    I think it's time to get all the rods out and change all the lines, Oil things up and be ready for the first day that it's warm enough to get the lines wet! I'm ready for warm weather!

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Anyone ever build a fishing cart or have ideas? I built an ice fishing sled long ago so I have a few ideas.
    I went beach fishing in Florida and saw a couple nice carts. It won’t be that nice but for Indiana redneck fishing I will be driving a caddy to the bridge.

I can't tell from your photo, but Harbor Freight sells similar tires for carts, some of them solid rubber instead of pneumatic. And they are cheap.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I’m leaving on Friday for the gulf!! Been a long winter and I’m gone for a week and going everyday. My new surf rod will be here tomorrow.. UPS delays.
    When I get back I will be off of work from a surgery and going to fish more with my adult boys.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I’m leaving on Friday for the gulf!! Been a long winter and I’m gone for a week and going everyday. My new surf rod will be here tomorrow.. UPS delays.
    When I get back I will be off of work from a surgery and going to fish more with my adult boys.

I'm in that same surgery situation. Hopefully I'll be able to move around more when the weather breaks

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    With this sucky weather, wonder if the good crappie bite will be pushed back until the water warms?

I've had years where I've mostly missed a concentrated spawning period due to refusing to fish in a winter coat.

Amazon Prime reminded me of a picture I took March 14, 2016:

20160314_211939_2.jpg

Last edited:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    With this sucky weather, wonder if the good crappie bite will be pushed back until the water warms?

I've had years where I've mostly missed a concentrated spawning period due to refusing to fish in a winter coat.

Amazon Prime reminded me of a picture I took March 14, 2016:

20160314_211939_2.jpg

I thought spawning was mid to late may?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thought spawning was mid to late may?

It might be in your neck of the woods?

Down here in Southern IN, it seems to be a moving target based on water temp and other things beyond my knowledge. Like I mentioned, I've had years that the air temps and water conditions caused to miss the good bite. One of those conditions is the rain, like we are getting now. Water is terribly stained and high.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Perch and crappies are shallow. North side of the lake in the channels. Four to six feet of water, muck bottom. Sorry, lake is my secret.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How big are your perch Slim? I'm coming your way...:)

I took the tiny window and ran down to the lake. Conditions were poor, but at least not frigid. Badly stained water with a lot of runoff crap in it from leaves, sticks, limbs, even trees. Nutin', nutin', nutin'.

A bit breezy, but enjoyed the near 70 degrees. Few hundred more casts and still nuttin'. A buddy pulled up and was trash talking with me from his truck. Told him he must have brought the luck, as I hooked the only fish of the afternoon. Small crappie, first fish of the year.

It's on now...
    :rolleyes:

Top Bottom