• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I like this idea much better than most other proposals.

[video=youtube;ZZRm3S0oGUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZRm3S0oGUU[/video]

I kind of like these too. Especially in OK, you're probably more likely to be injured by a tornado than you are by a murderer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only drawback I can see is the risk of someone taking hostages in that room, or open fire from that room on the rest of the classroom.

Not sure if the doors can be unlocked from the outside.

It's just like airplane cockpit doors.It's good to keep terrorists out but when the pilote locks himself in that's a problem.

*Every* solution has a countermeasure. Landmines have countermeasures, but we go ahead and sew the DMZ with a metric butt ton of them. Gun safes have counter measures. Target hardening reduces the number of people with the skills, equipment, and commitment to successfully attack.

A safe room is a delaying tactic that would save lives and reduce casualty counts. They don't have to live in there forever, and surely a response time is such that the person can't bring in enough flammables to smoke out/burn out the occupants. Even if they do, that's great, they are contained in one room working on one safe, making them much easier to contain. Shooter takes over the armor hut? Great, again he's contained and a contained shooter is much less dangerous than a roaming one who can blend into crowds when needed, open fire when possible, etc.

*Could* a hostage situation result? Sure. What stops a hostage situation from happening in the gym equipment room?

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    I like the classroom "safe room" concept, but I know it would not have worked with my classroom. I had a combined lecture/lab room normally maxed out at 28 kids. There is zero space for an individual safe room that will accommodate 28 HS students plus 1 only slightly overweight chemistry teacher. Our building has at least 25 exterior doors, four floors, is basically 'H' shaped with approx. 2 -300 foot hallways on all levels. Our SRO is a city police officer and does a great job. This is a huge structure built to service up to 2000 students daily. He has stated to me he would have appreciated having "adequately trained" armed faculty/staff on site. Just canvassing the teachers I shoot with and that would be willing to undergo training we could increase the armed presence to at least 2 per floor. There are more sheepdog teachers in our schools than I think most people are aware of. Maybe safe rooms where they fit and trained, armed staff. Instead of this or that, why not both?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like the idea of a safe room as part of a multifaceted approach to security, but this is certainly not the solution.

There is a safe room in each class, so the shooter attacks at lunchtime when most aren't in class. There is a safe room in each class, so the shooter attacks during a school event in the gym. There is a safe room in each class, so the shooter attacks when everyone is outside. Or the shooter sets off the fire alarm and brings the victims to him.

There is no single solution and each time there is a horrific event the kneejerk reaction of the emotionally sensitive is to pass more laws that will be broken and only affect the law abiding citizens, not the criminal and/or mentally disturbed.

Regards,

Doug

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like the idea of a safe room as part of a multifaceted approach to security, but this is certainly not the solution.

There is a safe room in each class, so the shooter attacks at lunchtime when most aren't in class. There is a safe room in each class, so the shooter attacks during a school event in the gym. There is a safe room in each class, so the shooter attacks when everyone is outside. Or the shooter sets off the fire alarm and brings the victims to him.

There is no single solution and each time there is a horrific event the kneejerk reaction of the emotionally sensitive is to pass more laws that will be broken and only affect the law abiding citizens, not the criminal and/or mentally disturbed.

Regards,

Doug

The knee jerk crowd is what has put us here.
    Common sense is no longer common.
    If it were well..........most everyone would have it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They probably could have gotten something to pass, if they hadn't reached so far.

We'll never know for sure. As much as the libs think they are demonizing the NRA, the effect may well be the opposite. The Georgia/Delta tax thing and NRA numbers increasing are a more actual reflection of America's perception.

Emotion and youth's telling adults what to think is a short lived liberal media attempt that real facts quickly overrun. Especially the outing of the areas where govt authorities keep dropping the ball to allow dangerous mental and troubled people to walk armed among us.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...uishers-could-great-deterrent-guns/400727002/

"When you think about common sense things, practical things we could do like, right now, there are fire extinguishers, dry chemical fire extinguishers in every commercial building, school, almost within a hundred feet of wherever you are. And a fire extinguisher can be a great deterrent if somebody gets out of control, or somebody, if anything happens, a teacher, anybody, can break that glass, set the alarm off, grab that chemical fire extinguisher and spray it towards somebody. And I’ll tell you right now, that could put them to their knees."

I don't think he knows what "detterent" means.
    I'm pretty sure every school in the US is equipped with fire extinguishers and that never stopped a mass shooting.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The solution to violent crime of all sorts is a simple three step process. Two rounds to the body and one to the ocular window. Call the coroner to claim the body and investigate and get back to life.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...uishers-could-great-deterrent-guns/400727002/

I don't think he knows what "detterent" means.
    I'm pretty sure every school in the US is equipped with fire extinguishers and that never stopped a mass shooting.
    What an incredible amount of ignorance. Well, that, or just plain lies.

I've been sprayed by a CO2 extinguisher. Its cold. I've been sprayed (well, caught in the crossfire) with a ABC chemical extinguisher. Lots of coughing, but it did not stop me from putting out the fire. And, if he thinks there is a "cloud", he watches too many movies. They don't spray nearly as far as one might think, or create as much volume. About the only defensive use of a fire extinguisher is to clock someone in the head, and I don't want to get that close.

So, either he has no clue, or has a clue and is lying about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What an incredible amount of ignorance. Well, that, or just plain lies.

I've been sprayed by a CO2 extinguisher. Its cold. I've been sprayed (well, caught in the crossfire) with a ABC chemical extinguisher. Lots of coughing, but it did not stop me from putting out the fire. And, if he thinks there is a "cloud", he watches too many movies. They don't spray nearly as far as one might think, or create as much volume. About the only defensive use of a fire extinguisher is to clock someone in the head, and I don't want to get that close.

So, either he has no clue, or has a clue and is lying about it.

I am going with clueless.
    I would like to give him a personal demonstration though. This stupidity will only get more of the clueless hurt/killed.

Top Bottom