• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    hey, most of the negative "facts" given about the 5.7 bullet on this thread are false... i did a lot of research on the caliber before I bought my five seven pistol...... first off, the "basic" bullets you can buy are great for practice, but dont forget, they tumble when they hit "soft" targets. Plus the ballistics of the 5.7 in a 5 inch barrel are similar to the 22mag....... BUT IN AN 18 INCH BARRELED RIFLE!!!!! So the 5.7 bullet is a lot better than a 22mag in a comparable barrel length. Elite ammo is an awesome place that has some great SD ammo, not too bad on the price either in my opinion. I carried my 5.7 for awhile with elite ammo rounds (dont remember which ones though), very light gun with 20+1 (lighter than a fully loaded Glock 19). Also, if you get the five seven pistol, make sure it has the adjustable sights..... I got a used 5-7 with fixed sights (which are not dovetailed) and those sights are sighted in for the LE ammo, which we cant get, so the rounds were always high left. That is why I sold mine, so get the adjustable sighted 5-7 pistol and you will be very very happy with the results..... FYI, it is load and no recoil.... enjoy.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    hey, most of the negative "facts" given about the 5.7 bullet on this thread are false...

So true, so true.

i did a lot of research on the caliber before I bought my five seven pistol...... first off, the "basic" bullets you can buy are great for practice, but dont forget, they tumble when they hit "soft" targets. Plus the ballistics of the 5.7 in a 5 inch barrel are similar to the 22mag....... BUT IN AN 18 INCH BARRELED RIFLE!!!!! So the 5.7 bullet is a lot better than a 22mag in a comparable barrel length. Elite ammo is an awesome place that has some great SD ammo, not too bad on the price either in my opinion. I carried my 5.7 for awhile with elite ammo rounds (dont remember which ones though), very light gun with 20+1 (lighter than a fully loaded Glock 19).

Lots of people like to talk trash, but Muammar Gaddafi thinks they work pretty well. Plus the military and law enforcement can get armor piercing rounds.

Also, if you get the five seven pistol, make sure it has the adjustable sights..... I got a used 5-7 with fixed sights (which are not dovetailed) and those sights are sighted in for the LE ammo, which we cant get, so the rounds were always high left. ...

The very first Five-seveNs had dots at the rear sides of the slide cover (similar placement to the 1911's serrations) and molded plastic sights. The vast majority of Five-seveNs have vertical ribs rather than dots, and have dovetailed sights front and rear.

I really like my Five-seveN. It's great fun to shoot. It's extremely accurate, but a bit difficult to get good with. Bad habits are accentuated because of its light weight. As always, practice is key.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Also, Nidal Malik Hasan using a Five-seveN murdered 13 soldiers an wounded 29 others during the Fort Hood Shooting.
    very tragic that this happened but you are 100% correct. I have to believe in numbers. The round is affective for self defense. The numbers do not lie. A well placed hit from .22 is more effective than a miss from .44. and this weapon is very accurate, and the tubling projectile can make it very devestating. Witnesses at the fort hood shooting swore they thought someone was shooting a m-16 by the sound of the gun fire. Good ammo will go a long way.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    What does this have to do with the OP's question?

I was just making a random statement that I thought was interesting in no way shape or form was I trying to bash the weapon or make a negative comment about it. Just like pokersamurai I was stating an instance where I had heard of the gun being used. I also believe they are popular with the cartels. I understand that is negative, but it shows they do work.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    very tragic that this happened but you are 100% correct. I have to believe in numbers. The round is affective for self defense. The numbers do not lie. A well placed hit from .22 is more effective than a miss from .44. and this weapon is very accurate, and the tubling projectile can make it very devestating. Witnesses at the fort hood shooting swore they thought someone was shooting a m-16 by the sound of the gun fire. Good ammo will go a long way.

what a ringing endorsement that is. :laugh: hell the VT shooter did more damage than hasan did and he used a Glock 19.

did you read the link posted on the 3rd or 4th post? some interesting points raised by some big names. just sayin'.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    did you read the link posted on the 3rd or 4th post? some interesting points raised by some big names. just sayin'.

I did.

According to posts in the Five-seveN forum he's been called out for not actually doing any research himself while referring to a military/leo only round that was designed to penetrate body armor in a military setting. The point of the 190 round as specified by NATO was to cause a survivable wound, through body armor, so that two other soldiers would be out of the action as they carried their buddy off for medical care. Also note that the comments were about the P90 (full auto) used in SWAT assaults. Finally, he compared the 5.7 to a .22 Long Rifle, which the Brass Fetcher videos clearly show is not accurate. Apples to oranges to pomegranates to watermelons.

Word is, he's been shamed into doing actual research using available civilian rounds. Perhaps in time he can regain credibility as a self styled "industry professional". Personally, I won't really be all that interested in the results. I have one and enjoy shooting it, which is what I care about.

OP, I say go for it. Once you pick your color of choice, drop by Elite Ammunition. They sell custom painted slide covers. Just think, a digital camo slide cover to match your frame...

Since video of the standard rounds has already been posted, here's some of the Elite ammo into clay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh5wVyT5xrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6bwXPoE4Mo

From Brass Fetcher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BDpPlL6roI&NR

Looks like it'll leave a mark to me.

Last edited:

QB 45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Lafayette
    I've been using the Five-seveN as a carry gun, and am VERY happy with it. With it, I'm fast, accurate, and have 20 rounds on tap. I certainly wouldn't trade it for anything. :twocents:

Glock_Man_21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Avon
    I was considering getting one but after reading all the posts I'm having second thoughts now. Guess I'll have to find some place to rent one and try it out first.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I was considering getting one but after reading all the posts I'm having second thoughts now. Guess I'll have to find some place to rent one and try it out first.

Those of us who actually own a Five-seveN like the pistol. Mine is very accurate to distances beyond what I would use a pistol, reliable as the sun coming up, light weight, low recoil, 20 round mags. I am very happy I bought mine and it would take more than an act of congress to make me give mine up.

That said, you are very smart with wanting to rent one and try it out. That is a very smart way to make sure you are going to be happy with any firearm. :yesway::yesway::yesway:

Glock_Man_21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Avon
    Those of us who actually own a Five-seveN like the pistol. Mine is very accurate to distances beyond what I would use a pistol, reliable as the sun coming up, light weight, low recoil, 20 round mags. I am very happy I bought mine and it would take more than an act of congress to make me give mine up.

That said, you are very smart with wanting to rent one and try it out. That is a very smart way to make sure you are going to be happy with any firearm. :yesway::yesway::yesway:

You wouldn't happen to know of somewhere that does rent them do you?

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I've shot the 5.7 and it is an absolute dream to shot. Functioned great, lower recoil and it's hard to beat with the extended 30 round mag... look out!!! Would make a great pair with a shotty for home defense. I've also shot the PS90... great gun. Ammo is more expensive, but not ridiculous. Research the specs on the round... you won't be as concerned once you do. The round is much more potent than some give it credit.

Last edited:

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    These guns are so much fun to shoot. The first time I shot one I was able to hit paper 4 out of 10 shots at 70 yds with a steady rest. I've wanted one ever since. With 20 rounds its a great defense weapon. I would shoot one and if you like it, buy it!

Top Bottom