• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I will add one thing. My PS90 combined with my FiveSeven will be the first two weapons I grab in an SHTF scenario. I have taken the time to load a decent stockpile of ammo to go along with the factory ammo that I continue to purchase at good prices on sale, and from private individuals cleaning house. Having a compact rifle that holds 50 rounds, along with a long range pistol that holds 30 rounds should be a definite advantage. Having 2 weapons that share the same ammo, priceless.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Sorry. What I've seen has been negative. Perhaps I did not read enough of your posts to find the positive ones. My mistake.

Don't take it the wrong way. I was asking because I don't actually understand your direction. More now than before.

Negative? A properly 22 Mag out of a rifle is nothing to sneeze at and will certainly get the job done, so my comparison to it wasn't intended as a put down. In that same post, I said I really liked them and wanted a 5-7 and matching SBRed PS90.

I've posted before that if people trained for just half the time they spend obsessing over 9v40v45 or gold dot v hydra-shok v. whatever, they'd be a helluva lot better off. In my view, placement, placement, placement.

So my direction is the 5.7 probably isn't a super-death ray, and that civvie 5.7 ammo (boutique EA stuff notwithstanding) is watered down making it less effective than it could otherwise be. Both of which I would think are non-controversial statements.

The best thing the 5-7 has going for it isn't its huge muzzle energy or death-ray terminal ballistics (which it doesn't have), it's that its a very, very easy pistol to shoot quickly and well. And I think the latter is more important than the former. I'll take a gun/cartridge that I can put a quick pair or triple right where I want it with minimal effort over a mega-hand-cannon any day.

My point with the hog pics is that they don't actually prove anything (other than placement matters). A 22lr behind the ear at point blank will kill a hog just the same, so all we've established with that specific piece of evidence is that it is as good as a 22lr. Same thing with dumping half a dozen rounds into a hog.
    While we're on that point, anecdotal evidence that a 5.7 killed a few people doesn't say much either, as the lowly 22LR has more than a few bodies to its credit as well. There was a period when a 22lr behind the ear was a signature mob hit SOP. Worked pretty well for them. (placement!!!)

I don't think I need to be a 5-7 owner / fanboy to critically evaluate arguments for/against it.

That, and if you're going to bash a guy for a copy-paste job, then doing it via a copy-paste job is a bit of a throwing stones - glass house kinda thing. At least the Doc provided links to his stuff.

I don't know about borrow, but if we're ever at the same range at the same time I'll most certainly let you shoot mine. Even if it's not for formal testing purposes. :)

:ingo::cheers:

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Take it easy. yes, like I said before, I've shot them on numerous occasions, and like I said before plan on buying one for myself. I'd probably carry one without reservation, as well. If thats "evangelizing" against the 5.7, well, I dunno what to tell ya, except that your lashing out at me is a bit misplaced.

It's worth noting that these aren't actually the poster's own experiences, but ones he cut and paste from various sources around the interweb.

Nor am I the one that searches google for people that say negative things about my firearm of choice, only to sign up, post a copy-paste job and disappear.

I've been here quite awhile and posted on any number of topics, but I'm the one with "an interest" and not the new guy that spams various forums with the same post under different user names? That's funny man.

In any case, I'm going back to armchair commandoing. :D
    I will also calm down. I dont know who the guy is either, but he did give very interesting data on the subject. I would love to do the same but i live in the city, and cannot afford a 1000 dollar pistol. I have shot them and found that they are fun to shoot, and are very accurate. I just get annoyed with the whole " if it is not .45, then it wont protect you." mentallity. I have always tried to remain open minded about gun calibers, and just because it is different, does not make it any less effective. I probably lashed out at the wrong person. My bad.
    Keep shooting what you love, no matter what anybody else says about it.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I suggest you avoid .44 Special and 22-250. I have one of each and they are both a buck a round. .45 ACP is about 40 cents a round at Wally World.

.22 Long Rifle is about $25 for 550. I like my Buckmark, but I don't want to limit my shooting that much. Of course, YMMV. ;)

I should have been more clear. I can shoot just about any of the weapons I currently own. The 1k pricepoint of the 5.7 pistol makes it prohibitive. If I could get one for $450 bucks like I can for a pistol in 9mm or. 40, I would have one right now. They just price themselves out of what I can justify paying. Either make the pistol cheap and the ammo expensive or make the pistol expensive and the ammo cheap. There is no reason to have both be expensive.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    I just wanted to make a quick comment directed towards those that use the phrase 22 Magnum in the same sentence as Five-seveN.

In a pistol-to-pistol comparison, with 40-grain bullets, the 5.7x28mm EA loads achieve a muzzle velocity roughly 700 ft/s faster than the .22 Magnum.

When 30-grain bullets are compared pistol-to-pistol, the 5.7x28mm EA loads achieve a muzzle velocity roughly 1000 ft/s faster than the .22 Magnum.

In a pistol-to-pistol comparison, the 5.7x28mm EA loads produce about three times the muzzle energy of the .22 Magnum.

Kel-Tec PMR-30 22 Magnum Semi-Auto Pistol
    FN Five-seveN USG 5.7x28mm Semi-Auto Pistol

The Five-seveN pistol still has more velocity/energy than the .22 Magnum even when the .22 WMR is fired out of a 24in barrel. If we take into consideration bullet behavior, any comparison trying to be made between the two weapon systems starts to look silly. One behaves like an ice-pick, and the other a 5.56 NATO round.

Out of the PS90, depending on the grain of .224 projectile used, we are talking about a velocity range of 3,000-3,400 fps, and energy range of 670-700 ft-lbs with either fragmenting, expanding, or tumbling rounds. Of course all will penetrate armor and some rolled steel.

22mags are great for plinking at the range, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The 5.7x28mm platform is a legitimate self-defense option.

HHps0.jpg

gcR1D.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    So you're bashing copy paste hearsay from forums with a huge bit of copy paste hearsay (from 2005, no less?) ? I love the irony. :laugh:

The difference between what I did and what the good dentist does is, I add hearsay for spice which clearly supports the facts I have provided; DocKGR uses hearsay and inaccurate or obsolete data as the foundation of his entire ignorant position.

It is kinda weird that you sign up on various gun boards, unsing different screen names every time, solely to evangalize the 5.7 with it though.
    [/url]

It's not weird at all; it's thoughtful. I routinely Google for news on FN weapon systems and forum threads discussing the Five-seveN always come up as well. I will usually click on them to see just how bad it is getting and drop a thread bomb or two to help infuse some facts into the discussion. The only people I ever anger are those that are hell-bent against the platform (a hater if you will). Since most of the people that slam the platform don't own it and have very little knowledge about it, my opinion on the matter is usually welcomed by those that are genuinely curious.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    what a ringing endorsement that is. :laugh: hell the VT shooter did more damage than hasan did and he used a Glock 19.

The reason the VT shooter was more successful than Hasan at Fort Hood is because 31 of the 33 victims at Virginia Tech were shot in the head as they were cowering (including the shooter). Most of those that survived the Fort Hood disaster were shot in limbs and other non-vital areas. The "targets" if you will at Fort Hood were not scared students, but well-trained military personnel that tried everything from charging the shooter to throwing tables at him in an effort to stop him. All who rushed him were killed or severely incapacitated.

The national average for fatal gunshot wounds is around 30%. The biggest factor in whether or not a gunshot wound will be fatal is how quickly the victim receives medical attention. Hasan's percentage of victims shot that eventually died was right around the national average at 31%. That number seems kind of high though because the victims who were shot received immediate care even as the shootings were still occurring. Nearly everybody on a military base is trained in first aid.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    I know a guy that was concidering buying an FN 5-7 for his wife as her first gun for self-protection... I think it was bad advice. I told him it wasn't like he could just run to Wal-Mart and pick up a box of ammo for an afternoon of fun. I don't think he ever got anything for her. I told him there were plenty of really good choices for her.

An FN, Glock or whatever...this is why you should never tell someone not to buy something with THEIR money that they WANTED to buy anyway.
    Because of you adivce, your friend's wife could've had a gun. Now she has nothing.
    Fn Fiveseven or no gun at all....how is no gun at all better choice????

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    OP here. The prices are coming down as I saw one recently for $800. Still a lot of $ but it is starting to tempt me.

BTW - thanks for all your responses and the lively discussion.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    OP here. The prices are coming down as I saw one recently for $800. Still a lot of $ but it is starting to tempt me.

Thanks for the update on pricing. I haven't really given it any more consideration other than an AR57 upper pistol configuration. My wife is so enamored with her PSA build, there has been no other discussion.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    The reason the VT shooter was more successful than Hasan at Fort Hood is because 31 of the 33 victims at Virginia Tech were shot in the head as they were cowering (including the shooter). Most of those that survived the Fort Hood disaster were shot in limbs and other non-vital areas. The "targets" if you will at Fort Hood were not scared students, but well-trained military personnel that tried everything from charging the shooter to throwing tables at him in an effort to stop him. All who rushed him were killed or severely incapacitated.

The national average for fatal gunshot wounds is around 30%. The biggest factor in whether or not a gunshot wound will be fatal is how quickly the victim receives medical attention. Hasan's percentage of victims shot that eventually died was right around the national average at 31%. That number seems kind of high though because the victims who were shot received immediate care even as the shootings were still occurring. Nearly everybody on a military base is trained in first aid.

Awesome post man. Straight to the point.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville

thanks for the up date. please let me know when it drops another 400 and i will be there.

Yes Im cheap!!!!:ar15:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

Where at? at 800, Maybe now I'll finally get around to buying one. Now if only I could find a threaded barrel in 1/2x28 instead of the 10x1mm for a decent price.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Where at? at 800, Maybe now I'll finally get around to buying one. Now if only I could find a threaded barrel in 1/2x28 instead of the 10x1mm for a decent price.

Gunbroker. They turn up there every now and then if you search right and I recently saw 1 sell at $799

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    My buddy uses his for carry and loves it, I personally carry a g22. It is a solid little pistol so I do not think you can go wrong with it. Honestly as I has been mentioned you could carry a .22 mag and get the same results but as long as you put rounds on target in a cc situation. Does it really matter?

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    Some of the Police Departments in Texas have gone to them.

I've shot one several times (my policeman friend has one)

It's a FN .. what can I say ... FN's are excellent weapons.

I own two and my son owns another ... fine guns.

:cool:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    My buddy uses his for carry and loves it, I personally carry a g22. It is a solid little pistol so I do not think you can go wrong with it. Honestly as I has been mentioned you could carry a .22 mag and get the same results but as long as you put rounds on target in a cc situation. Does it really matter?

You need to educate yourself. You are mis-informed and passing that on to others.

Top Bottom