For people under 21 wanting to buy a handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I was offered a trade for one of my pistols from someone that was under 21 so i checked online to see what everybody thought. Well most say that if it is a private sale/trade it is fine. I wasn't sure so i called the BATFE to make sure and here is what i was told. "It is against federal law for someone under the age of 21 to obtain a handgun, it can be given, but not traded for or bought." I just thought i would pass along what i was told today, i was also told that you can own a handgun if you are under 21 as long as it was a gift. Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I was offered a trade for one of my pistols from someone that was under 21 so i checked online to see what everybody thought. Well most say that if it is a private sale/trade it is fine. I wasn't sure so i called the BATFE to make sure and here is what i was told. "It is against federal law for someone under the age of 21 to obtain a handgun, it can be given, but not traded for or bought." I just thought i would pass along what i was told today, i was also told that you can own a handgun if you are under 21 as long as it was a gift. Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

State and Fed conflict (that's why the age to be able to get a license is 18).
    You can, in fact, purchase privately at 18.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    State and Fed conflict (that's why the age to be able to get a license is 18).
    You can, in fact, purchase privately at 18.

New development, the ATF just left my house, they arrived right after i posted this. I was just told again that you must be 21 to buy or trade for a handgun, you can own one, but you can not obtain a handgun on your own private or through a FFL, it is a violation of federal law. Now if you will excuse me, i need to change my shorts.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Would like to hear more on how that went exactly....:nailbite:

Very nice agents, they answered a lot of questions i had. They just wanted to know why i have bought so many handguns this year, mainly having 23 pistols called in at one time throws up a red flag. That purchase plus all the others required a visit.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    New development, the ATF just left my house, they arrived right after i posted this. I was just told again that you must be 21 to buy or trade for a handgun, you can own one, but you can not obtain a handgun on your own private or through a FFL, it is a violation of federal law. Now if you will excuse me, i need to change my shorts.
    Did they tell you which law or did they do like some LEO do when they say conceal carry is the only way you can carry it. I cannot find anything so far that says an 18 year old cannot purchase from an individual, only from an FFL

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Drakkule, I would like to see the "law" they are referencing. Did they happen to tell you?

It is illegal for an FFL to sell a handgun to anyone under 21. Or a long gun to anyone under 18.

AFAIK, the Federal law is silent on private sales (to a non-prohibited adult person). There are Indiana laws that deal with children (under 18).

I would love for someone to post up if they know any different.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Drakkule, I would like to see the "law" they are referencing. Did they happen to tell you?

It is illegal for an FFL to sell a handgun to anyone under 21. Or a long gun to anyone under 18.

Yep, I would ask them to cite the code.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Very nice agents, they answered a lot of questions i had. They just wanted to know why i have bought so many handguns this year, mainly having 23 pistols called in at one time throws up a red flag. That purchase plus all the others required a visit.
    Do you happen to live near Mexico, and were they Draco's?, and did the Batfe let you buy the guns, but tell you sell to Mexican Druglords...who must have no other means to purchase guns than through America?
    :popcorn:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    From the ATF's own website (yes, they have a FAQ, and yes, I has read it. :D )

(Note, a "licensee" is an FFL in this context.)
    Q: Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee? Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

Did they bring your "Mexican Vacation" travel itinerary with them or do you have to arrange that personally for "deniability"? :):

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I can't find it either, but i won't be taking any chances. I have 4 NFA items in process so i won't be taking any chances. All i know is 2 phone calls, and a personal visit all said the same thing, they could be wrong, but i will not be finding out.

No i don't live near Mexico, N.E. corner of Indiana for me.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    They were absolutely wrong and would be unable to back up their incorrect opinions with law.

U.S. Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 922 (x) governs the lower age limit.

(x) (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
    The term juvenile is defined in (x)(5):

(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term “juvenile” means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

Top Bottom