For people under 21 wanting to buy a handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Im having to wait as my parents dont like guns much and wouldnt ever give one to me. I was thinking about going privately but the only one Ive seen is now cosigned with a shop and the others across the river.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    You shouldn't have had to fill those multiple purchase forms out. The FFL holder should have.

There's room for 5 or 6 been a while since I filled one for a SALE. After that you canattach a seperate piece of paper with the make/model, serial number and caliber up to a certain number per page. I will be soon stepping up in the world. I will be selling guns again! Going from Gander to Bass Pro!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im having to wait as my parents dont like guns much and wouldnt ever give one to me. I was thinking about going privately but the only one Ive seen is now cosigned with a shop and the others across the river.

It's debatable whether or not the OP is correct. The Classifieds on INGO are fine for those of us that are over 18 but under 21.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I can't find it either, but i won't be taking any chances. I have 4 NFA items in process so i won't be taking any chances. All i know is 2 phone calls, and a personal visit all said the same thing, they could be wrong, but i will not be finding out.

No i don't live near Mexico, N.E. corner of Indiana for me.

Everytime I see your avatar:

I think I'm looking at a mortar tube and think...."No wonder the ATF paid him a visit"

:)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Frankly, that multiple purchase form is stupid anyhow. In the same day if you go to 21st Century and buy a gun, then H&H and buy a gun, then Gander and buy a gun, then Tomlinson's and buy a gun... you've made multiple purchases and no form gets filed to that effect. However, the same purchases all from the same one place, will.
    Stupid.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Interesting thread.

So how did BATF contact you? Did they just show up at the door and say let me in to talk to you about all your guns? Shouldn't they need some kind of warrant otherwise you wouldn't need to even talk to them or let them into the house. AND wouldn't they be denied a warrant because what you did wasn't illegal?

Curious...

REM299

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    Frankly, that multiple purchase form is stupid anyhow. In the same day if you go to 21st Century and buy a gun, then H&H and buy a gun, then Gander and buy a gun, then Tomlinson's and buy a gun... you've made multiple purchases and no form gets filed to that effect. However, the same purchases all from the same one place, will.
    Stupid.

I'm curious as to why this additional form is necessary. What is the form supposed to uncover or prevent.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Interesting thread.

So how did BATF contact you? Did they just show up at the door and say let me in to talk to you about all your guns? Shouldn't they need some kind of warrant otherwise you wouldn't need to even talk to them or let them into the house. AND wouldn't they be denied a warrant because what you did wasn't illegal?

Curious...
    That's just what they did, the funny thing is my 4 year old daughter said to one of the agents "ooooh nice gun" daddy's little girl. They ask me if they could ask me a few questions, and i have nothing to hide so i said yes. They were surprised to find out they came from one auction, and even more shocked that all but 4 were still in the house, and the fact that i know who has the 4 i sold. I know, never talk to the police/feds, but i have
    done nothing against the law, and nothing to hide. The agents were very polite, and asked permission, and i was O.K. with that. That being said, it was a one time thing, there should not be a next time.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm curious as to why this additional form is necessary. What is the form supposed to uncover or prevent.

In "theory", it's supposed to document a multiple transaction of handguns for "law enforcement purposes" Here's a quote straight from the bottom of the form: "The information is used to determine if the buyer (transferee) is involved in a unlawful activity, or is a person prohibited by law from obtaining firearms. The information requested is mandatory and required by statute (18 U.S.C. 9239g))." ...which seems redundant of the 4473, in my opinion. Anyhow, it gets faxed to the ATF National Tracing Center, the state police, and the FFL holder keeps a copy attached to your 4473. If you've been in and purchased any other handguns from that same FFL holder within the previous five business days, that previous 4473 is considered part of the "multiple" transaction.

This is why I think it's a useless waste of time; same amount of handguns from separate stores = no form. Silly.:rolleyes:

P.S. Here's the actual form, if you want to take a look: http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    No i don't live near Mexico, N.E. corner of Indiana for me.

close enough my friend... Close enough.

Years ago when I had my FFL (kitchen table style) the ATF came to pay me a visit. There were some pipe bombings going on in Merrillville and the ATF was checking FFL to see if anyone bought components.

Well I was at my day job when my wife called (freaked out) to say "two ATF guys just showed up and flashed their badges". Well they were also very nice and it was no big deal. But the funny thing is, is that I am also into woodworking and metal working. So I hapened to be building a lathe for my shop at the time of the visit. What part do you think was laying on top of my fridge? It was the head stock arbor that I made - basically a thick metal pipe bored end to end and threaded on both ends!

They never saw that but I would have had a bit of "splainin' to do Lucy" if they would have.

ATF visits are not fun. It seems that the only ones that don't have to worry about an ATF visit IS the Mexicans:D

REM299

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    In "theory",
    This is why I think it's a useless waste of time; same amount of handguns from separate stores = no form.

Thanks. I agree it appears foolish. I wonder how long that information is retained and cross referenced. I was under the impression that 4473's were not archived by big brother but perhaps this form has a longer retention.

REM299

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    "The information is used to determine if the buyer (transferee) is involved in a unlawful activity, or is a person prohibited by law from obtaining firearms.

Since the 4473 from is used to determine proper ability to obtain a firearm and there is no limit to how much you can buy this form seems a little intrusive. Considering that since the ffl files the paperwork it may not even be known by the customer and then the government shows up at the customers. I could see that being somewhat nerve racking.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Well i talked to one of the agents today to find out if i was going to have any problems with the 4 NFA items i have in process, and was told there was a note put in my file that i am a collector, and they are two different things, and that it wouldn't cause any issues. Then i asked if i would be ok picking up about 4 more guns, and was told there would be no problems. I was also told that they were very impressed with the way i handled the situation, and should be fine in the future as long as i still have most of the guns i buy when they contact me. He also told his boss that i planned on selling a few of them, and was told that won't be a problem.

Top Bottom