For people under 21 wanting to buy a handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I was offered a trade for one of my pistols from someone that was under 21 so i checked online to see what everybody thought. Well most say that if it is a private sale/trade it is fine. I wasn't sure so i called the BATFE to make sure and here is what i was told. "It is against federal law for someone under the age of 21 to obtain a handgun, it can be given, but not traded for or bought." I just thought i would pass along what i was told today, i was also told that you can own a handgun if you are under 21 as long as it was a gift. Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Calling ATF or a cop is almost as hit and miss as asking a gun shop to interpret the law. Private party sales of handguns at 18 are perfectly legal if state law allows, only FFL holders are prohibited from making such a sale.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very nice agents, they answered a lot of questions i had. They just wanted to know why i have bought so many handguns this year, mainly having 23 pistols called in at one time throws up a red flag. That purchase plus all the others required a visit.
    I'm surprised they didn't just think you were working for Holder... ;)

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    State and Fed conflict (that's why the age to be able to get a license is 18).
    You can, in fact, purchase privately at 18.

But when federal and state conflict, the feds are still "entitled" to enforce their law.

With that having been said, I call BS because if that were the case, there would most certainly be cases to reference. Since when gas the federal government not enforced a pointless law?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Firstly, multiple purchases do incur visits and inquiry.

Nextly, the agents are telling you federal laws that apply to FFL license holders.
    It is completely legal for an 18 year old to buy/sell/trade to a PRIVATE individual who does NOT hold an FFL license.

Lastly, you've been given the IC here. It is indisputable.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Firstly, multiple purchases do incur visits and inquiry.

Nextly, the agents are telling you federal laws that apply to FFL license holders.
    It is completely legal for an 18 year old to buy/sell/trade to a PRIVATE individual who does NOT hold an FFL license.

Lastly, you've been given the IC here. It is indisputable.
    Yep, indisputable.:rockwoot:

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    When multiple purchases are made (even within days of each other) a special "multiple purchases" form has to be faxed from the FFL holder.

Yep, i know, i had to fill out the paperwork, they said they just noticed i have been buying a lot of firearms this year. I asked how many i could buy, and they said there is no limit, but the amount i bought throws up a red flag. They were very surprised that i still have almost all of them. I was told to expect a visit when i picked them up, i guess i will slow down how many i buy. Oh wait i just won another auction, so i won't be stopping, just slowing down. I was also told that kitchen table FFL are still being granted, as this is what they suggested i do.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Yep, i know, i had to fill out the paperwork, they said they just noticed i have been buying a lot of firearms this year. I asked how many i could buy, and they said there is no limit, but the amount i bought throws up a red flag. They were very surprised that i still have almost all of them. I was told to expect a visit when i picked them up, i guess i will slow down how many i buy. Oh wait i just won another auction, so i won't be stopping, just slowing down. I was also told that kitchen table FFL are still being granted, as this is what they suggested i do.

So does this mean I will be getting a visit for tradeing you one this year? GRRREAAATTT. My wife is gonna love that one.....:rolleyes:
    Ill be grownded from buying a gun for at least a year!!!:(

Though the trading thing can be adictive and fun. I have actually traded for some guns I never even new exhisted and some I thought I would never even hold let alone own. Ive found you can go though alot of them to find the ones you really like. I have 2 I doubt I will ever sell and one that I want to pass on for generations.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    You have nothing to worry about, all the guns i traded for got lost in the big INGO boating disaster.;) They did ask that i keep some kind of record to cover my butt, and i do, but they didn't ask to see anything, and i didn't offer. The only way i would share any info with the government is if the gun was used in a crime, other than that, it's a private sale/trade, so it stays private. They just wanted to make sure i was not running a business, and i am not. I will still be trading/selling some of my pistols off, but i will not be buying much from a shop anymore. They were very polite, and just doing their jobs, and not once did i feel like i was being talked down to, or anything like that. I was a little worried, but i knew i had not broken any laws, so i wasn't too worried.

Last edited:

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    this is absolutely right, I had my LTC at 18 and carried my ruger .357mag that my dad bought me for my 18th b-day. I could carry but I couldnt buy the ammo.

Top Bottom