• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Planning on selling my 86 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4(bad engine) and 96 gmc jimmy. and replacing with a later model ford or chevy 4x4 extended cab. what engines on the ford and chevy are best on fuel and still able to pull a load.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    7.3 power stroke if it's in good shape. You can buy an awful lot of gas for a big block chevy for the price of a turbo or an injector pump. If you want to keep costs down you must shift your own gears, you can do 4-5 clutches for the price of 1 automatic rebuild or 10 clutches if its the wrong automatic.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i have a 2001 F250 (5.4l gas) I looked at buying a chevy, but seems like chevy wants to make it all nice and fancy... i just want a plain out truck i can use and not feel totally bad if i scratch it... i dont need the fancy rims or the upgraded sound system...

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Planning on selling my 86 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4(bad engine) and 96 gmc jimmy. and replacing with a later model ford or chevy 4x4 extended cab. what engines on the ford and chevy are best on fuel and still able to pull a load.

If you're buying a gas engine, I like the CHEVY 350, but if you're buying a diesel engine nothing beat the 7.3 POWERSTROKE in the FORD. :rockwoot:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    7.3 power stroke if it's in good shape. You can buy an awful lot of gas for a big block chevy for the price of a turbo or an injector pump. If you want to keep costs down you must shift your own gears, you can do 4-5 clutches for the price of 1 automatic rebuild or 10 clutches if its the wrong automatic.

:+1:

I have a 6.0 power stroke. In some ways its better than the 7.3 but in others its not. You can pull all day long with a diesel, with just general maintenance they are good for a half million + miles. You get better fuel mileage out of them.
    The Duramax with Allison tranny in Chevy/GMC is a nice setup, but it still seems Chevy wants more for replacement parts across the board.
    Now to the big boy you didn't mention, Ram with a Cummins with a manual transmission is still the top work dog out there. But you MUST get a manual transmission or you'll be spending all your time and money in a tranny shop.

Yes diesel costs more per gallon than gas, even though it shouldn't. But your MPG covers the difference in cost almost immediately. Do NOT buy anything newer than a 2006, they still haven't gotten the bugs out of the ultra low sulfur engines. Government stuck their noses in somewhere they didn't have a clue and caused a nightmare. The pre-2007 engines can run the ULS fuel with a minimal loss in mileage and power, but the new engines are all over the board.

Good luck and hope you find what you want.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    After doing a lot of research the chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab 5.3 seems to suit my needs as far a mpg and towing.
    Wife will be using this for a daily driver, 14 mile round trip to work, will be used on weekends to haul, hay, wood, fertilizer, around farm.
    Diesel cost more in the long run unless you pull heavy loads daily, 3 gallon oil change, injector pump rebuilds, tires dont last as long from all the extra weight of the engine, they sink on soft ground from the extra weight.

Last edited:

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I would say a Ford f150 would be your best bet if its doing double duty as a daily driver and work truck. Any diesel in that capacity will kill you on gas mileage IMO. I have a f150 so maybe Im biased. :)

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    and yeah, you're right, ccan't hardly go wrong witha gm and a 5.3, installed a 5.3 in a chevy trk a while back and every boneyard we called had twenty of them on the shelf and sold them for 250 just to get rid of one, they last forever. ford's 5.4 3 valve motor uses a really stupid spark plug design with an overly exntended electrode that siezes to the head and requires a ton of work to fix when they break, like to the tune of cylinder head removal (which by the way requires removing the body from the frame). and it's not IF they break off when changing them, it's how many!

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    I would say a Ford f150 would be your best bet if its doing double duty as a daily driver and work truck. Any diesel in that capacity will kill you on gas mileage IMO. I have a f150 so maybe Im biased. :)
    agreed that a diesel isn't for everyone but i drive a dodge ram 3500 DUALLY 4x4 extended cab long bed with a cummins and i get 22mpg around town and like 26 hwy. and most places right now diesel is cheaper than gas.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    20-21 mpg highway and unloaded, 13-16 mpg loaded to the hilt. No a gas powered truck can not match mpg with a diesel.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I would be careful pulling anything heavy (more than a bass boat or small camper) with a half ton chevy. I have seen one that the frame was ripped in two from trying to pull a loaded hay wagon.
    It may be worth doing a bit of looking to be sure the truck itself is up to the tasks that you will ask of it. As far as engines go, either one would likely serve you well.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Well, can't really go wrong with either. I'm a GM loyalist, but both will serve your needs. Personally, I would look into 3/4Ton trucks. Better pulling capacity and don't have the 1 Ton insurance premiums. The 7.3L Powerstroke Fords are great, the 6.0L Gas Chevys are great. If I were to buy Diesel even I would go Ford, if I wanted a Gas I would look into the Chevy. How new of a truck do u want?

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have not had any of the diesel trucks, but I have a buddy has had both. He had an 05 and 07 Duramax Silverado and his wife now has an 07 6.0L F350.

The duramax had more power and got better mileage. He is also not a fan of the F350 seats. I have never been in it myself, but my 09 F-150 seats were very comfy.

I am a die hard Ford guy, but GM has almost always had the leg up on Ford when it comes to engines. The rest imo Ford does better, but your mileage may vary.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    :+1:

I have a 6.0 power stroke. In some ways its better than the 7.3 but in others its not. You can pull all day long with a diesel, with just general maintenance they are good for a half million + miles. You get better fuel mileage out of them. .

I have heard way to many first hand horror stories on the 6.0.
    Seen actual stacks of repair bills.
    I'm a Ford guy and would never buy one!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

If you're going gas, I'd go with a 5.4l F150 (even though the 5.3 or 6.0 w/an Allison tranny C/K 1500 or C/K1500HD would be a little better trucks). I think the F150s get a little better mpg and as far as towing and hauling, it really depends on what you've got to move. Not everyone needs a diesel but I'd LOVE a SCREW 4x4 F250 7.3 w/35s and a snorkel on it. Depending on how new you're looking, the new F150s have some 6cyl that is suppose to get pretty good mpg and have plenty of torque for hauling/towing.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have heard way to many first hand horror stories on the 6.0.
    Seen actual stacks of repair bills.
    I'm a Ford guy and would never buy one!

The problems the 6.0 PSD have is when, you add a tuner, to much HORSEPOWER will blow the head gasket, but you can stud the heads & you'll be ok. Add an AFTERMARKET EGR & your 6.0 PSD will be ok:yesway:

Top Bottom