• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    My dad has a 2009 GMC with the 5.3. I had to borrow it for a few weeks when my Dodge was in the shop.
    I drive about 30-40 miles a day, 2/3 being hwy. I had to spend 10 dollars a day for gas. I don't know what kind of mpg the GMC was getting just know what I was spending at the pump. Made me miss my Cummins at 6 dollars a day. I figure the 3 weeks I drove it cost me over 80 dollars extra.
    If I had to drive it for a year it would have cost me close to 1500 a extra.

I never own a gas motor for my main truck ever! Even a daily cummuter.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I'm with the diesel guys. I wouldn't own a Ford 6.0 though. The gas Chevy 5.3 is a good truck. So is the Ford with the triton V8's. I had a 04 cummins and the motor was amazing, but the truck around it fell apart. But I too managed to get 22 mpg around town with the diesel and they are fast.
    But I have seen my fair share of GM 5.3 with well over 250,000 miles. I have a ford f150 work truck with the 4.6 and 136k that still runs and drives perfect. But I have to smack the dash board to get the odometer to read!

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    agreed that a diesel isn't for everyone but i drive a dodge ram 3500 DUALLY 4x4 extended cab long bed with a cummins and i get 22mpg around town and like 26 hwy. and most places right now diesel is cheaper than gas.

Im gonna have to call bs on this. Seems like most people are getting around 20mpg tops with those trucks.
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/135916-3500-4x4-dually-mpgs-06-5-9-a.html
    Are you going off your readout on the computer because that normally isn't accurate.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have heard way to many first hand horror stories on the 6.0.
    Seen actual stacks of repair bills.
    I'm a Ford guy and would never buy one!

I would never buy one either. Guy at work had one that the catalatic converter when out on. Shortly after the turbo came apart and sent bits and pieces into the engine. That pretty much done it in. Only had 75K miles on it

Another guy I know has one and he can't get any kind of mileage out of it, around 14. He does have one of those work beds that's heavy. But my Dodge was still getting 18-19 with 3 tons of sand in the bed.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Im gonna have to call bs on this. Seems like most people are getting around 20mpg tops with those trucks.
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/135916-3500-4x4-dually-mpgs-06-5-9-a.html
    Are you going off your readout on the computer because that normally isn't accurate.

I'm getting almost 22 out of mine. When I calculated miles vs gallons I came up with about .5 less than what my computer says.

IMO you really can't compare one person to another and expect it to be the same. Too many factors, what gear ratio does he have? driving habits, condition of this tires, how much dead weight does he have in the truck, what kind of oil is he using, clean air/fuel filters, wheather.

It all effects mpg. Most of my driving is hwy and I get almost 22 average. If I drive mostly city, it drops to 18 mpg.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    A friend bought him a used 6.0 P.S. with 150,000. Less than a month later, had oil in the cooler. The dealer had to spend about $3,000 to replace the head bolts along with new gaskets. Its running fine, for now..... ;)

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I'm not going to tell you what to buy, but I will tell you what not to. Stay away from the 6.0 GM gas motor. Horrible mileage thats really close to the 8.1 but without the added power. I was lured in by the truck and like a idiot I thought the 6.0 wouldn't let me down. If I did it over again I would go with a diesel from the start. By the way, anybody want to but a truck??

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm not going to tell you what to buy, but I will tell you what not to. Stay away from the 6.0 GM gas motor. Horrible mileage thats really close to the 8.1 but without the added power. I was lured in by the truck and like a idiot I thought the 6.0 wouldn't let me down. If I did it over again I would go with a diesel from the start. By the way, anybody want to but a truck??

Nice sales pitch there...
    LOL

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm a die hard Ford guy... HOWEVER

If you are excluding diesel from your options... I'm gonna say go with the Chevy. Why? Because Chevy still rocks a simple push-rod design... not some OHC multi-valve "gotta rev it to move it" power plant like Ford has switched to recently.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'm getting almost 22 out of mine. When I calculated miles vs gallons I came up with about .5 less than what my computer says.

IMO you really can't compare one person to another and expect it to be the same. Too many factors, what gear ratio does he have? driving habits, condition of this tires, how much dead weight does he have in the truck, what kind of oil is he using, clean air/fuel filters, wheather.

It all effects mpg. Most of my driving is hwy and I get almost 22 average. If I drive mostly city, it drops to 18 mpg.

Yeah but 26 mpg with a diesel 4x4 dually. Seriously? Living in dreamland must be nice.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I"m a diesel guy and a chevy guy at that. I've got 3 duramaxes as we speak. One is for sale on here. The one for sale is the oldest(01) and will get 20mpg on the road and averages about 15 in town. Honestly is doesn't matter which diesel it is they all have problems. Duramaxes, Powerstrokes, and cummins all have their problems. Its if you find a truck that's been cared for and those problems prevented and not had a hotrod teenage owner. I've had buddies with the 5.3 in a chevy and they get decent mileage. 15 average. The 6.0 gas chevy motor is a hog on gas. Pass anything but a gas station. I"ve had 2 of them and one had 3.73 gears and the other 4.10. They both sucked gas. I bought them because I towed and needed the extra breaking power. Now i own diesels and wouldn't go back. I"d be interested in the old chevy 3/4 4x4 you have. I'd like a an old truck to have for emergencies.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Depends on the year range of trucks you are looking into getting. Mid 90's Ford's and Chevy's are both good, I like the 302 and 351 W from ford, Chevy 350 is a great motor also. Once you hit '99 and up it's a different ballgame.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Yeah but 26 mpg with a diesel 4x4 dually. Seriously? Living in dreamland must be nice.

I don't think it's impossible. I've seen almost 27 with mine (on trip computer) like I've mention when tested the computer was about .5 miles off.

Hypermilers (people who make a sport of getting high mpg's) are getting over 40 mpg's with suburbans and exclursions and getting over 100 with small compact's.
    I'm not dreaming this up, google it.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't care how much you hypermile you are not going to get 40 mpg in a suburban unless you're pushing it down the road. Its a straight up lie but believe what you want.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Personally, Im a Ford guy. I currently have a 1998 F150 Ext Cab 4WD.

Only problem I have had is the heater core (other than regular maintenance).

Only thing I hate is the transmission, wish I would have got the beefier one, but the current one hasnt failed me, and I use it to pull a trailer with a tractor, cars, etc.

As far as Chevrolet, I have no input, never owned one.

-MColford

Top Bottom