• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Only as a function of government corruption, waste, bureaucracy, and ineptitude. From a technical standpoint, as I said before, it could theoretically be rebuilt in a year, probably.

The author suggests just rebuilding the bridge as originally designed, with the addition of dolphins. I don't think that's a particularly good idea. There are much better, safer, more robust bridge designs now than there were 50 years ago.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Hey, has anybody mentioned that FSK was a slave owner and the new bridge should be renamed the "MLK Jr. Boulevard Bridge"?

Just wanting to get out ahead of this.
    MLK said to judge people by the content of the character, not the color of their skin. He’s way out of line with the racial identity crowd. Pretty soon they’ll be ripping down his statue to and renaming all MLK streets.

I bet you could go to college campus and read that MLK quote without attribution to college students and 9/10 would call it white privilege or fascism orsome such.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Just watch this, and it’s good. It again highlights how little off course the ship actually was, and how the camera angle distorts the amount of turning of the ship. Also noted there’s another channel coming in off the left side of the screen with water pushing the ship around.

He noted there was other street work going on at each end of the bridge, so there were construction zones with police posted to slow folks down. So the cops were already on the scene when they got the word close the bridge.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So the ship was going over 7 knots when it lost power with a strong port wind. Once the power comes back on the engines come back on and you can see the wind pushing the engine smoke pushed flat to starboard. Don’t know yet if screws were reversed but the bow anchor was dropped and it is not known if the rudder was operational. At that speed dropping anchor would not do much like it does in the movies. Lots of mass, lots of kinetic energy.

This is a medium sized ship leased by Maersk to take up slack for the Houthi created problem stopping a lot of normal shipping. Word is dockside that the ship had power fluctuations at dock but no one knows if the pilot was informed.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Second bridge just hit. . .

I'm as much of a conspiracy analyst as the next guy, however I wouldn't go screaming on the tops of buildings that they are "targeting bridges" now. What happens is when some phenomenon is brought to your attention for one reason or another, you will start to notice similar phenomenon's out in the wild that you would otherwise ignore.

Take train derailments for example. After East Palestine, there were a few weeks where it seemed that trains were derailing left and right, even though I don't believe the trend changed that much. Now we are primed for anything relevant, even though before East Palestine if most heard about a derailment on the news, it would at most get a shrug and a glance at the TV from most people. Even now it has died down as there was another hazardous derailment in the country (not nearly at E.P.'s level), though all it got was a blurb.

People will try to link patterns between these events, which can lead to some wild speculation and also actually expose some interesting and nefarious stuff. These catastrophes may not reveal that aliens are remote controlling our ships and driving them into bridges, however it may reveal criminal incompetence of an industry cutting corners on safety equipment to save money or something.

The media and social media exacerbates this trend. I would guess that everyone will now hyper focus on anything related to boats and bridges for a while until it looses it's luster.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I'm as much of a conspiracy analyst as the next guy, however I wouldn't go screaming on the tops of buildings that they are "targeting bridges" now. What happens is when some phenomenon is brought to your attention for one reason or another, you will start to notice similar phenomenon's out in the wild that you would otherwise ignore.

Take train derailments for example. After East Palestine, there were a few weeks where it seemed that trains were derailing left and right, even though I don't believe the trend changed that much. Now we are primed for anything relevant, even though before East Palestine if most heard about a derailment on the news, it would at most get a shrug and a glance at the TV from most people. Even now it has died down as there was another hazardous derailment in the country (not nearly at E.P.'s level), though all it got was a blurb.

People will try to link patterns between these events, which can lead to some wild speculation and also actually expose some interesting and nefarious stuff. These catastrophes may not reveal that aliens are remote controlling our ships and driving them into bridges, however it may reveal criminal incompetence of an industry cutting corners on safety equipment to save money or something.

The media and social media exacerbates this trend. I would guess that everyone will now hyper focus on anything related to boats and bridges for a while until it looses it's luster.
    But……what if?

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

Kind of like when you buy a different car, then all of a sudden it seems everybody and their dog is driving a car just like yours...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    There’s a new channel opened that’s shallow(er) but allows smaller vessels to get in and out of the harbor.

Chart of channel here:

Top Bottom