• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks Doc. Timing wasn't great. I was snowed with medical bills, funeral cost. Not to mention adjusting to one income. I hope there is a special place in hell for thieves!

8th circle, bolgia 7
    Inferno (Dante) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you figure out how the thief got her card?

Too easy to have a card number stolen nowadays. Take a look at all of the breaches that have occurred in the last year alone. Not to mention all of the malware that infects PC's and steals personal info, etc.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Sorry to hear about that, Doc. I had my debit card hit in a similar fashion a few years ago. The bank was awesome to work with, but the process was still a pain. The lady working with me says she handled at least one case like mine each week. It seems like theft is pretty much a part of doing business anymore. Sad.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to hear about that, Doc. I had my debit card hit in a similar fashion a few years ago. The bank was awesome to work with, but the process was still a pain. The lady working with me says she handled at least one case like mine each week. It seems like theft is pretty much a part of doing business anymore. Sad.

We have tried our best to cover ourselves but it is near to impossible. We had some charges hit my account from sites that I canceled memberships on and a few other small hits. It made me open another account that is used only for on line transactions. I keep just enough in it to keep it active and transfer funds when purchases are made. It takes a little effort but it is another layer of protection or at least it feels that way.
    We eliminated credit cards a few years ago and work off of cash. No cash no buy.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Happened to me once but the charges were not local. They ended charging $2k or $3k over seas. Mine was easy since it was a credit card, no hassle on my end except for getting a new card. I never use a debit card over fear of someone cleaning out my account so only credit cards for me. I basically charge everything so I can get the cash back rewards but pay the bill in full every month. I have vowed to never pay interest on a credit card.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Did you figure out how the thief got her card?

That's what I was wondering as well.......

no idea. They had to have skimmed it and recreated a card since one was swiped at the stores. She still has the card now. Who knows if a server in a restaurant could have done something, or a gas pump skimmer. Either way, just signed up for an identity theft solution. Also checked her credit report to make sure no other accounts are open that we don't know about. It REALLY makes me want to just pay cash for everything.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    no idea. They had to have skimmed it and recreated a card since one was swiped at the stores. She still has the card now. Who knows if a server in a restaurant could have done something, or a gas pump skimmer. Either way, just signed up for an identity theft solution. Also checked her credit report to make sure no other accounts are open that we don't know about. It REALLY makes me want to just pay cash for everything.

After our hack or whatever it was, on a regular basis, if not daily, my wife goes in and checks our accounts for activity.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Has she done any online shopping?

The one time it happened to me it was a result of hackers breaching Bud's Gun Shop's website/servers/whatever words fit in here. Only did a few (like 6) XBox Live accounts or what-not.

And this is precisely why I won't ever use my debit card to do any online shopping.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I looked at the receipt again and these items were bought online for in store pickup. They may have just had her information and then prearranged people went to the store to pick up the items. The time stamps made me curious how they were able to hit those stores in that time.

The dog followed me to the basement where I was looking for needle/thread for the cranberry/popcorn stringing. He is old and arthritic, probably had to throw off some ballast to make it back up the stairs. He wasn't down there four freaking minutes.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I had my debit card # and info get snagged a few years back by someone. At the time, I was traveling around the country for work and was staying at a lot of hotels. This led to a lot of public wifi, and I hadn't bothered to secure my laptop as well as I have done to my desktop. Security lapse on my part.

Someone got my card info and started an autowithdrawal from my account once a month. It was for 19.99. Because I was traveling around so much and just plain working, I didn't keep an eye on my account as well as I should have. About a year later, I am going through my statements, and I find a charge. I then go back as far as I can to figure out when it started, who it was to, etc. Turned out that it was getting charged to some weird website for computer technical services of some non-description. I called up Chase Bank (I have long since departed from them.) and complained on the issue. I was also having an ongoing tiff with T-mobile over a continuing withdrawal over a phone that I hadn't had in quite awhile. I would cancel, and T-Mobile would call the bank and re initiate the withdrawal. Caused me to go in the red several times.

I only got a partial refund from T-mobile. Bank said that they weren't responsible for them giving my account and card info to a company that I was in a contract with previously, even if that contract was no longer valid. I did end up getting a refund for that website business though.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    We eliminated credit cards a few years ago and work off of cash. No cash no buy.

PLEASE use a Credit Card and NOT a Debit Card. Read the user agreements and you will find the consumer fraud protections for credit cards are significantly better. While the banks may cover your debit card fraud out of the kindness of their heart they are not required to. In addition the debit card impacts your bank account and your money for a period of time until resolved. Fraud on a credit card is playing with the banks money.

So long as you don't charge more than you can afford and you pay off your credit card monthly there is no downside. It just takes personal discipline.

Cash is King. I use cash for nearly everything that I can. Especially restaurants, I would never surrender my card and have it out of my sight for that long.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    PLEASE use a Credit Card and NOT a Debit Card. Read the user agreements and you will find the consumer fraud protections for credit cards are significantly better. While the banks may cover your debit card fraud out of the kindness of their heart they are not required to. In addition the debit card impacts your bank account and your money for a period of time until resolved. Fraud on a credit card is playing with the banks money.

So long as you don't charge more than you can afford and you pay off your credit card monthly there is no downside. It just takes personal discipline.

Cash is King. I use cash for nearly everything that I can. Especially restaurants, I would never surrender my card and have it out of my sight for that long.

I realize these things. As mentioned, they might get $25 to a bit more depending on timing.
    We payed off all the cards and cut them up years ago. Will only Keep Sears and the wife has a Kohls card for herself. Everything else is cash.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    My direct deposit goes into a bank account that has no debit card attached to it. I have a second account that has a debit card and no OD protection. I transfer money from account 1 to account 2 as I make purchases. It's easy to do with today's technology. Often times at a store my debit is declined and I say oops and transfer the money and re-run it. At best a thief is getting only a few bucks from me if they have my #.

note: those aren't the actual account numbers.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If your visa debit card is ran as a credit card, you have the same visa network coverage as you do with a credit card. Fraud from the debit card used as a credit card is cover the same as fraud from a credit card.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My wife watches the CC statement for unauthorized charges, but the CC company has always detected them first. Once we had to change our card twice in two weeks. The CC company notified us a physical card with our number was used in France. They canx it and sent a new one. Next week they called again, said same happened in Italy. Sent another new card.

We had to change again recently, I think because of the Home Depot security breach, but I think that was precautionary, not response to actual fraudulent charges, since they said we could keep using our old card until the new one arrived.

I am pleased that Citibank has been so quickly on top of things (so far). The only real hit we took was having to change a bunch of autopays.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I had an issues about a year or two ago where some one in Chicago bought some food at McDonalds, it was only 10 dollars or so. I called up Chase told them about it and they fixed with no issues, besides waiting on a card.

About 10 years ago I got a letter saying I needed to appear in court for some dvd movie rentals that were not returned in Marion. I never go to Marion, so why would I rent from there. Ended up finding out a person opened up an account under my name but they used a different drivers lic. # and address and SS #. I had to take paperwork down to the court and show them it was not me. About a year or two after it was resolved the same collection agency tried to do this do me again. Received the court doc. and everything. I called them up and told them about it and said if they try it again I am going to sue them. I haven't heard back from them since.

Top Bottom