Freedom Ordnance FX-9 PCC - Problem and Solution - Customer Service?!?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have the 8" pistol version and it's done well so far. I haven't put it on paper except to get the Red Dot dialed in, and have shot steel with it since. Swapped the KAK blade for an SBA3 brace, put a Vortex Sparc AR red dot on it, swapped out the pistol grip for a Hogue, and dropped some MagPul Backup Sights on it, and really like it.

I've only briefly used the SGM mag that came with it, but otherwise have used my OEM Glock mags in it without issues.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have the 8" version as well. Wondering if anyone has replaced the "Muzzle Enhancer" with a different device?
    I jus put a mbx compensator on mine, but I’ll give you a bit of advice it took a barrel vice and a heat gun to get the flash hider off! I had a smith do it, I tried putting it in a vice and using a wrench, and I pulled the table off the floor! Good luck!!
    i haven’t shot the gun yet but reading the reviews it should work pretty good, I plan on checking zero and I’ll let you know how well it works

Lnjel1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2019
    Mishawaka
    I had some trouble with some Winchesters and blazer brass. With my fx-9 pistol. Failure to feed. Left some creases on the casing. It really liked the fiocchi 115 grain. I was really upset because i only had the blazer brass and it would not cooperate. Love this gun.

I contacted freedom ordnance and like everyone else said customer service was great. They told me that it was a magazine malfunction and sent it back with a new sgm magazine. Runs good but I've had same problem with ftf after emptying a magazine and replacing it released the bolt and nothing. Cleared the round or 2 and it starts firing great.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I contacted freedom ordnance and like everyone else said customer service was great. They told me that it was a magazine malfunction and sent it back with a new sgm magazine. Runs good but I've had same problem with ftf after emptying a magazine and replacing it released the bolt and nothing. Cleared the round or 2 and it starts firing great.

Have you tried any OEM Glock mags as opposed to the mag that is supplied by Freedom?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

As Websnyper said - try some Glock mags. The one SGM mag I have fits really tightly whereas the Glock and Magpul all for a little looser.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the factory suppplied sgm mag broke on my first range trip, i bought a glock 33 round mag and its fine, i also have 3 ets mags and they're gtg, someone told me the ets mags dont feed steel cased ammo very well, but i shot the ets 30 round mags at our steel challenge match on sunday and didnt have 1 problem (shot 14th place out of 59) with my fx9 carbine (last month i was 10th out of 61)

Lnjel1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2019
    Mishawaka
    Yes I have 3 original glock magazine. Actually dropped and broke sgm magazine. So I've only ran glock mags. Last trip to the range only used magtech. Seems to run fine after a good cleaning but towards the end starts acting up again. Love the gun wish I could figure out why it ftf.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Yes I have 3 original glock magazine. Actually dropped and broke sgm magazine. So I've only ran glock mags. Last trip to the range only used magtech. Seems to run fine after a good cleaning but towards the end starts acting up again. Love the gun wish I could figure out why it ftf.
    I had the same FTE problem till I ran about 500 rounds, now it will run anything I put through it

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    gonna bump this thread with my first and second freedom ordnance fx9 issues

1st issue I've got about 1k-1.5k round thru my fx9 carbine, I shot it sunday at a steel challenge match, I was cleaning the gun, I pulled out the buffer and noticed it didn't look right, it looked like the plastic part of the buffer was being forced into the buffer, it kinda looked like a mushroom, I texted my friend who works there, sent him a pic, and asked if it was normal for the buffer to look like that, he replied no, and asked what gun it was on (he knows I have multiple ar's) I replied it was my fx9, he said he'd get me a replacement, said I need it kinda soon, I was planning on shooting it at the Indiana state steel match next month, he works 12 hours a day at freedom I don't see him often.

2nd issue I was going to clean the bolt, I popped out the firing pin retainer pin, and launched the firing pin across the room (like the space shuttle!), it either shot all the way thru the wall and outside, or landed in the twilight zone, cause I cant find it anywhere!, so I sent him a text and told him that i'm a dumb *** and lost the pin, that I needed to buy another one (13.00 on the freedom website), less that 10 minuets later he texted me back and said he'd give me one!, the reason im a dumb *** is because I knew it would do that, I did it once before, but luckily I found it that time!

so heres where the great customer service part really kicks in, I asked if he could send the parts with mike (the owner of the company) to our gun club board meeting, so the president/owner of freedom ordnance is going to hand deliver the parts to me!...hows that for customer service!

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    gonna bump this thread with my first and second freedom ordnance fx9 issues

1st issue I've got about 1k-1.5k round thru my fx9 carbine, I shot it sunday at a steel challenge match, I was cleaning the gun, I pulled out the buffer and noticed it didn't look right, it looked like the plastic part of the buffer was being forced into the buffer, it kinda looked like a mushroom, I texted my friend who works there, sent him a pic, and asked if it was normal for the buffer to look like that, he replied no, and asked what gun it was on (he knows I have multiple ar's) I replied it was my fx9, he said he'd get me a replacement, said I need it kinda soon, I was planning on shooting it at the Indiana state steel match next month, he works 12 hours a day at freedom I don't see him often.

2nd issue I was going to clean the bolt, I popped out the firing pin retainer pin, and launched the firing pin across the room (like the space shuttle!), it either shot all the way thru the wall and outside, or landed in the twilight zone, cause I cant find it anywhere!, so I sent him a text and told him that i'm a dumb *** and lost the pin, that I needed to buy another one (13.00 on the freedom website), less that 10 minuets later he texted me back and said he'd give me one!, the reason im a dumb *** is because I knew it would do that, I did it once before, but luckily I found it that time!

so heres where the great customer service part really kicks in, I asked if he could send the parts with mike (the owner of the company) to our gun club board meeting, so the president/owner of freedom ordnance is going to hand deliver the parts to me!...hows that for customer service!

Nice report. I shot mine again this weekend and all good, though I didn't have time to break it down and clean it yet this week (still causing issues for my CDO to not have cleaned something after shooting it), but I was handed a to do list when I came home that day. I'll have to pay special attention when breaking it down for cleaning for any issues.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ditto, WebSnyper, mine hasn't been cleaned in awhile but I will take a look at it.

I used to have to clean after every outing. Now, I just make sure the mags are loaded back up and move on...it was a long road to get here. :D

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I put a Liberty 9mm suppressor on my FX9. Before that, it ran everything just fine. After, it didn't work well at all. My favored round is the Sig Elite V Crown 147gr. Took some time in research and asking questions, but I think it was over-gassed(?). Emailed with Michele, and ended up getting a Wolff XP carbine buffer spring, which helped some, but it still wasn't quite right. More reading, more questions, and I purchased an Odin Works AR 9mm adjustable weight buffer. It is now much better, but between work and weather, I have not had enough time to really test it out.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Nice report. I shot mine again this weekend and all good, though I didn't have time to break it down and clean it yet this week (still causing issues for my CDO to not have cleaned something after shooting it), but I was handed a to do list when I came home that day. I'll have to pay special attention when breaking it down for cleaning for any issues.

Ditto, WebSnyper, mine hasn't been cleaned in awhile but I will take a look at it.

I used to have to clean after every outing. Now, I just make sure the mags are loaded back up and move on...it was a long road to get here. :D

I shot it in 2 steel challenge matches in between cleanings, and ive come to this conclusion, just as every body says...blowback pistol caliber ar's get dirty! the laser etched fx9 logo behind the ejection port turns gray! (shooting wolf ammo doesn't help!), I texted a friend whos sponsored by freedom ordnance and told him about the buffer and I said "check your buffer when you clean it!" his reply was "you clean yours?"

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I shot it in 2 steel challenge matches in between cleanings, and ive come to this conclusion, just as every body says...blowback pistol caliber ar's get dirty! the laser etched fx9 logo behind the ejection port turns gray! (shooting wolf ammo doesn't help!), I texted a friend whos sponsored by freedom ordnance and told him about the buffer and I said "check your buffer when you clean it!" his reply was "you clean yours?"

Yep, I agree. I have cleaned mine after every outing in the past(before this last one), and it does get quite dirty.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    Charging handle issues?

Hello,
    I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue,(see pics) it seems the charging handle is eating away at the rear of the upper receiver. When shooting it the charging handle will release sliding rearward and tapping me in the nose. It has a lot of sloppy play back and forth, I have never seen this much play in a charging handle ever. I almost at this time wish I didn't purchase this and went with the PSA Gen 4 AR9 instead. I have only had magazine related malfunctions with this pistol. I got the 8" version with the ETS magazine and the blade brace with fake suppressor. It shoots fine, have only had like our of 500 rounds two FTF and two FTE and one stove-pipe, most of that was magazine related cause the ETS mags don't like feeding steel case ammunition very well. Plastic and metal don't slide very well when feeding rounds.

I have sent the upper back to them after I sent them the pictures of the upper and what it was doing with just 500 rounds through it, with all manufactured ammunition.

20200309_200214.jpg

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Hello,
    I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue,(see pics) it seems the charging handle is eating away at the rear of the upper receiver. When shooting it the charging handle will release sliding rearward and tapping me in the nose. It has a lot of sloppy play back and forth, I have never seen this much play in a charging handle ever. I almost at this time wish I didn't purchase this and went with the PSA Gen 4 AR9 instead. I have only had magazine related malfunctions with this pistol. I got the 8" version with the ETS magazine and the blade brace with fake suppressor. It shoots fine, have only had like our of 500 rounds two FTF and two FTE and one stove-pipe, most of that was magazine related cause the ETS mags don't like feeding steel case ammunition very well. Plastic and metal don't slide very well when feeding rounds.

I have sent the upper back to them after I sent them the pictures of the upper and what it was doing with just 500 rounds through it, with all manufactured ammunition.

View attachment 84874
    freedom will take care of you! They will fix it! In fact I’m almost positive mike will be the one who fixes it (he’s one of the owners of freedom!)

ive shot steel Ammo (wolf) thru my ets mags without problems, I haven’t had one fte,ftf, stove pipe, not one! If the ets mags don’t work, cdnn sports has email specials on the sgm mags all the time (14.99 I think the same as I paid for my ets) i know lots of people who use them and they work (that’s what comes with the fx9) mine broke the first time I used it (my mag loader might have been the reason) but your results my vary! Lol

good luck and don’t give up on your fx9

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I noticed a bit of wear in that area from the charging handle (need to look at it more after the last outing to see if it has progressed any).

I've only used Glock OEM mags and a single MagPul mag in mine, and all functioned fine without issue. Have not shot any steel case in mine.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    Thanks all,
    Yeah not giving up on it, shot fine, the main ETS magazine I had issues with was a 17 round with a Glock floor plate on it I got in a grab bin at a gun show a few years ago for $5.00. So far the 2-30 round ETS mags have ran both steel and brass case fine, I am wondering if that 17 round ETS mag might need a cleaning. Yeah, I hope Freedom Ordnance will stand by their product, I have never seen a charging handle on any AR style rifle/pistol with that much play in it, and just in 500 round chewed up the end of the upper like that. I think it's the harder steel latch they got on their charging handles, I looked at my Strike Industries and other charging handles the latch looks to me to be aluminum also. I know that hard steel and 6061 aluminum don't mix.
    All my Glock mags work well, not issues with the two 17 round mags I have that are original Glock.

Last edited:

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    1 for 2 on email replys from them. They did reply on the fx9 email about barrels (not what I wanted to hear but i can understand) but never replied on my fm9 email in regards to parts. I do wish they'd offer a forend similar to the fx9 for the fm9 instead of the bulky quad rail that comes with it though.

Top Bottom