• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Facegook...me neither, no thanks.
    I had the same flag come up on the new website but it sure looks nicer than the old one. They are running the Friday night steels every week at 6pm as weather allows (Did I say Friday?). Come on out. They will start using Practiscore soon and scores should be up faster.
    For other events or before going to practice, give them a call to be sure of events and to avoid getting there and being disappointed that you can't rent a stall due to a scheduled event.

Thanks. I'll try to make it next Friday!

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Another decent turnout. Lots of fun. More new to me stages. Enjoyed the heck out of #1 and #3. I felt like I was able to push myself more on stage 2 and improved on each string there. FUN FUN FUN.
    Practiscore was used and the scores are up.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Ouch. Not normally near the top of anything I do, but not used to being that far down! Darn gun! :)

I have a lot of work to do!

At least I was near the top in my class!;)

As long as you learned a few things and grew in experience it was still profitable. The biggest joy about being dead last is that you can only improve!:):

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    More people last night than the last couple I attended. Two squads. Three stages. Five strings each. Beautiful weather last night!!!
    I think PGR is dropping to two Friday's a month now. I also hear that HHRP is increasing to two Monday's a month. We are lucky to be able to have all of these events so close by. I am still wanting to get to Riley and South Central G.C.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Eyecarry, I only attended once so I can't offer much and I know you folks are starting out so it's all kinda new to you. But here are a few of my observations and maybe a couple suggestions;

1. Too much socializing. I get it, you are all friends and part of shooting is the camaraderie but before an advertised event, it needs to be about the preparation. The day I got there, people were sitting in the porch chairs shooting the breeze. I love to do that but before an event it should be all hands on deck. When people roll up and see people out on the range working, they tend to gravitate towards that area and will pitch in and help. If they see people just hanging out, they will tend to hang out.

2. When people approach to volunteer give them a specific job, ie. paint steel, place bases, etc.

3. Make sure the course designer is there as early as possible and has marked out the target locations. You might consider placing some kind of permanent markers at different intervals so you don't have to use a tape measure each time to layout the COF. As far as that goes, until you do fully sanctioned Steel Challenge, you can just walk out the distances with your feet. For outlaw shoots that is plenty accurate.

That is all I can think about right now as far as set-up.

Dry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Friday night is a bad time to try your best after a busy work week. Shooting takes effort and discipline even if you don't care how you score. Saturday morning is better for competition. Whether it makes business sense is up to the owners.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Eyecarry, I only attended once so I can't offer much and I know you folks are starting out so it's all kinda new to you. But here are a few of my observations and maybe a couple suggestions;

1. Too much socializing. I get it, you are all friends and part of shooting is the camaraderie but before an advertised event, it needs to be about the preparation. The day I got there, people were sitting in the porch chairs shooting the breeze. I love to do that but before an event it should be all hands on deck. When people roll up and see people out on the range working, they tend to gravitate towards that area and will pitch in and help. If they see people just hanging out, they will tend to hang out.

2. When people approach to volunteer give them a specific job, ie. paint steel, place bases, etc.

...until you do fully sanctioned Steel Challenge...

I would like to commend the staff at PGR for working hard to make these shoots work well!

I agree with Greg on his points. The staff at PGR must be very busy just running the place for sure, but I believe it would benefit them greatly to get out and participate in steel shoots at other ranges. Organization and other disciplines could be observed to bring back to PGR.

It would be a great goal to shoot for getting real Steel Challenge matches at PGR.

Last edited:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Just to be clear, or as a dis-claimer, I am only a participant/paying contestant. I don't work for PGR but do want them to succeed.
    I am hoping to get to some bigger events this summer to get more experience.

Top Bottom