• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Some friends and I made a trip to Ft Wayne last night so eat at Texas Roadhouse and afterwards we decided to venture into Gander Mountain. After nearly choking on the prices of their used handguns we made our way to the new ones. One of my friends wanted to look at a Ruger (SR9C) they had on sale for $450. As he's looking over the gun the guy working behind the counter tells him that they only make 1% profit on their guns and it's not really worth their time to sell them, but it's what brings customers in the store. Ha yeah right as we all know Gander Mtn is typically $80-$100 higher than anyone else on their guns. No business could survive on that kind of profit, period. With the number of stores they have I'm sure they get a good break on the guns they buy.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    one of the guys at the FTW Gander says that .380 ACP won't go through a leather jacket when a lady was looking at a 380 pistol. He didn't like my comment to stand at the end of H&H's range and let me test his theory.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Why pay retail? Why ask why? No matter where you go or where you have been, there will always be a retail store trying to rape the hard working American out of their money for goods. Be a smart shopper and you won't get taken to the cleaners.

GURR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Keep watch. Certain times of the year Grander has some killer deals. I bought a brand new XD .40 SC there for $360

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    one of the guys at the FTW Gander says that .380 ACP won't go through a leather jacket when a lady was looking at a 380 pistol. He didn't like my comment to stand at the end of H&H's range and let me test his theory.

That's why I always wear a leather jacket, and stay away from 5 year old little girls.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Seriously?? :n00b: What an idiot!

Don't work JetGirl, I name drop Tomlinsons whenever I can. I need to get up there and talk to Lane. It's been far too long.

Keep watch. Certain times of the year Grander has some killer deals. I bought a brand new XD .40 SC there for $360

Any place will have good deals once in a while. I've bought from many dealers, usually cause I found a used gun at a really good price. For new ones, make friends at a dealer (Lane & Dennis) and they'll treat you right. Everyone has their preference, I know guys that love Ranger Supply, and I know Mike & Russ and have bought from them as well. My mom loves H&H (no I haven't committed her yet) so to each their own.

(edit)I love you mom :) (/edit)

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I need to get up there and talk to Lane.

Great guy. It was pouring BUCKETS last night when it was time to leave. He wouldn't let me make a run for it to my van. He went and got his truck and pulled it up to the door, just to drive me across the parking lot so I wouldn't have to run in the rain.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    gander is one of the few gun stores I know of that sells for retail at a minimum, and most of the times more than retail.

On top of that they only pay 50% of blue book for used guns.

People actually buy guns at retail, and sell them guns. They make plenty of money.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    Okay heres the deal on Gander. Worked there 2 yrs. Sometimes employees fill in that know little about guns, breaks etc.. One of the employees that would tell you something stupid like the .380 was fired. Most of us that had a clue are gone or are leaving. The gun sales acct. for more than 50%. Price shop before you go take a pic/ad with you you should be able to price match. Ammo, guns whatever. Used guns that are brought into the store are netting a person 50% or less than blue book value. Same with H&H. Warranty is gone. In house gunsmith is gone. Tim, Jake, Eric, (not sure who's left) are great to deal with no BS.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    OK, I am not especially fond of GM for how they treat me at Castleton (I am not white collar), but I have been heavily researching the Remington 870 Wingmaster and GM is cheapest so far. Including my local favorite shops. Either way, I will still research it and they are below MSRP.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . .the guy working behind the counter tells him that they only make 1% profit on their guns and it's not really worth their time to sell them, but it's what brings customers in the store. . . .
    I had a Gander employee tell me just the opposite.

That their gun department was responsible for 50% of their profits.
    You were both told the truth.

Gander Mountain makes 1% profit on their guns. But only 1/2% profit on everything else in their store :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Funny thing about the whole buying power thing, Gander actually isn't buying at good rates. I say this having worked there for about a year, mind you.

Gander's biggest problems are undoubtedly at the top. Whoever is making corporate decisions is fantastically incompetent and it's largely reflected in Gander's pricing.

For whatever reason, despite being an enormous firearms retailers, they aren't buying at good prices at all. If I remember correctly, for instance, Gander was only making a $30 profit on Ruger LCPs. You'd think buying thousands upon thousands at a time would convince Smith to give them a deal, but apparently their buyers are crash helmet, sippy cup grade retarded.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom