• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I think one of the derpiest Gander things is they charge $75 bucks for a transfer. That's reeedickamous!

that I can agree with. then again after a long weekend at a gun show and doing the books, I wish we charged for every call in :D
    We won't of course but the books do get tedious at best

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Funny thing about the whole buying power thing, Gander actually isn't buying at good rates. I say this having worked there for about a year, mind you.

Gander's biggest problems are undoubtedly at the top. Whoever is making corporate decisions is fantastically incompetent and it's largely reflected in Gander's pricing.

For whatever reason, despite being an enormous firearms retailers, they aren't buying at good prices at all. If I remember correctly, for instance, Gander was only making a $30 profit on Ruger LCPs. You'd think buying thousands upon thousands at a time would convince Smith to give them a deal, but apparently their buyers are crash helmet, sippy cup grade retarded.

I don't think GM buys direct from Smith & Wesson or Ruger. As long as people buy from GM, they will continue to sell at their current mark-up. Most mom and pop shops can't afford to have the inventory that GM or Cabela's or any of the rest of the "big stores" have and we as gun buyers don't want to wait to get our new gun, so we will pay a premium to get it, "now". That is what keeps stores like GM thriving.

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Personally, I prefer to buy local and support my hometown business owners. With that being said, however, I have been known to be in a "chain" store and on a whim make a purchase. Still nothing beats the experience and expertise of someone who has molded their business from ground up.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    I don't think GM buys direct from Smith & Wesson or Ruger. As long as people buy from GM, they will continue to sell at their current mark-up. Most mom and pop shops can't afford to have the inventory that GM or Cabela's or any of the rest of the "big stores" have and we as gun buyers don't want to wait to get our new gun, so we will pay a premium to get it, "now". That is what keeps stores like GM thriving.

They don't. Sport South and a another that I don't remember. We ordered a lot of guns that we didn't carry in store.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    First point: GM sucks on gun prices therefore the rest of their stuff must be bad so I never go in there for anything. Second point: A neighbor found an AR he wanted there and got the price for the same gun at Whittakers in Kentucky. GM will match other stores' pricing. They called Whittakers and checked price and then sold my bud the rifle at the much lower price. The clerk said they still made money.

Fire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Keep watch. Certain times of the year Grander has some killer deals. I bought a brand new XD .40 SC there for $360

Your right about that. The Greenwood store made a mistake on their sunday flier. I got my son a Colt tatical new model with the flip up sights for $500 after rebate.

You guys should have seen his eight year old eyes after "santa" gave him his first rifle:D.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Gander Mountain appeals to the guy out there who aren't really gun people, but they'll stop by there because they don't want to go to a real gun store. I try my best to support mom and pop shops, but every once in a while I'll find my back against a wall and have to go to Gander.

With all due respect to the guys out on the floor I really don't think any of the hourly guys on the floor have an idea of what the guns are bought at, or what the actual profit percents are. No offense to any of them, but I don't think they hand out the financial statements to everyone within the business and show their purchasing accounts. I used to look at some of their stock and financials when they were a publically traded company and maybe I didn't look hard enough but I didn't see where they showed their profit % on guns. Then again I wasn't really looking for just that either.

The bottom line is that Gander Mountain has the volume and buying power to get products at a great price and pass that savings along to to the customers, but they chose not to. Every once in a while I'll go in there to buy ammo on sale but otherwise I don't waste my time there.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    First off, GM paying 50% for a used gun is crap. It is funny that they readily admit they are charging a 50% markup and then say that they have no haggle room. They're also very good about saying, we will sell this for $450 and then giving you %50. Then you go in a week later and they've got it priced at $525.
    Many of the guys there are not as knowledgeable about the guns they are selling than the customers buying them.
    They clearly know their market, because the people that buy there are often new to firearms or are very casual about them and buy them because they don't know better.
    Occasionally, they will have a great price on a gun, and then I will buy it. I just think it's rediculous that they tout they're sales, like a Glock for $499 as a huge sale, when you can go to Bradis and get them at that price daily.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Many of the guys there are not as knowledgeable about the guns they are selling than the customers buying them.

In all fairness, I think this has as much to do with their selection than anything else. Someone going in to buy a gun, or decide between a couple of models by handling them may have researched and narrowed their choice. The salesperson may know generalities of models, but the customer knows that "model X is 2 ounces less than model Y, but is 1/16" wider, but neither one likes to feed Hornady ammo, unless it was made after June 2010."

It's unrealistic to expect a salesman to remember this sort of info about every firearm in the store. What the salesman MAY know is that both are quality handguns, priced close to each other, and that they don't have a holster for model Y.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    In all fairness, I think this has as much to do with their selection than anything else. Someone going in to buy a gun, or decide between a couple of models by handling them may have researched and narrowed their choice. The salesperson may know generalities of models, but the customer knows that "model X is 2 ounces less than model Y, but is 1/16" wider, but neither one likes to feed Hornady ammo, unless it was made after June 2010."

It's unrealistic to expect a salesman to remember this sort of info about every firearm in the store. What the salesman MAY know is that both are quality handguns, priced close to each other, and that they don't have a holster for model Y.
    Haha, Yes, I agree.. I'm speaking to the salesmen that don't know the GENERAL questions about firearms.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    First off, GM paying 50% for a used gun is crap. It is funny that they readily admit they are charging a 50% markup and then say that they have no haggle room. They're also very good about saying, we will sell this for $450 and then giving you %50. Then you go in a week later and they've got it priced at $525.
    They clearly know their market, because the people that buy there are often new to firearms or are very casual about them and buy them because they don't know better.
    Occasionally, they will have a great price on a gun, and then I will buy it. I just think it's rediculous that they tout they're sales, like a Glock for $499 as a huge sale, when you can go to Bradis and get them at that price daily.

It used to be 70 - 80 % of what blue book was. There were several times I bought a gun in and Corp. (that never saw the gun) or the store manager thought it could sell for more and raised the price. I argued those making look like a liar because I told the customer I would sell at x price. While I was there we had a diverse group that had their specialties in what they knew. Shotguns, rifles, handguns. I tried to get the customer to the right guy for that. Most places just go for a sale.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I was at the GM in Greenwood and asked if they had any Sig P238's in stock. The person behind the counter called back on walkie and asked I was then told no so i started looking at the rest of their stock. Well there on the top row was a Sig P238 so i asked to see it and let him know this was what i just asked for. He said "oh the Sig P238" you didn't call it that. I said ok and just kept looking. It is hit or miss at that GM for sure.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    It used to be 70 - 80 % of what blue book was. There were several times I bought a gun in and Corp. (that never saw the gun) or the store manager thought it could sell for more and raised the price. I argued those making look like a liar because I told the customer I would sell at x price. While I was there we had a diverse group that had their specialties in what they knew. Shotguns, rifles, handguns. I tried to get the customer to the right guy for that. Most places just go for a sale.
    Yeah, they used to offer 70% at castleton and 60% at greenwood, now it's 50% at all stores. I know one of the guys that works there through his full time job and he said corporate no longer does that. In the Greenwood case it's the manager. The manager there will also tell you that he has no price to add for a holster or extra magazines, but will then seperate them from the gun and sell them by themselves for 100% profit. Bad business practice considering how many people go in there regularly.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    Yeah, they used to offer 70% at castleton and 60% at greenwood, now it's 50% at all stores. I know one of the guys that works there through his full time job and he said corporate no longer does that. In the Greenwood case it's the manager. The manager there will also tell you that he has no price to add for a holster or extra magazines, but will then seperate them from the gun and sell them by themselves for 100% profit. Bad business practice considering how many people go in there regularly.
    Depends on the store. My store (Ft. Wayne) We left them packaged. The firearms manager said it was too much pia to seperate and tag everything that came in.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I personally will not buy from Gander. I have been there many times to feel around and see what was next on the to buy list, but I wont buy from them. Their customer service normally is horrable and the prices are high. To be totally honest though, I dont like big stores. I would pay, and have paid more for guns and accessories simply because of customer service. I perfer mom and pop shops. Thier service is usually great and if I have a problem with the product, they will normally put more effort into helping me. Gander is a last resort for anything I buy, and when I say last resort I mean if I havent been able to get it from anywhere else in the state and I have to drive by there on my way out of town for a hunt. Two years ago I was looking for a hunting jacket that I knew gander had but I ended up driving up to Cabelas to buy it cause I wont go to Gander. That jacket cost me nearly 100 bucks more just in gas but I dont like Gander.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Seriously?? :n00b: What an idiot!

I've had morons tell me goofy crap like this. I've had people say things like "you couldn't pay me to carry a 380 or a 9 mm, they won't stop a anyone." Just complete morons.

I've shot .380 rounds through relatively thick metal. I've shot .380 rounds through many things and they do a lot of damage. These idiots saying this crap need to simply keep their mouths sealed. They expose their brain size.

illmaniac123

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    East Indianapolis
    seperating parts like that is against the buyback plan. And pricing for more than what we said wed sell it for isnt true because on the sheet that customers gets has the price that it is locked into the system. I know gander doesn't have the best rep, but making up stuff like that is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom