• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I'm an introvert and have been for the past 64 years. I see nothing wrong with keeping to one's self because I feel most of my daily interactions aren't necessarily social events. I get annoyed at individuals who feel it is their mission to force themselves on me because I did not invite them to. That doesn't mean I am anti-social. A brief conversation while standing in line, in a waiting room, etc., passing by a stranger and exchanging greeting,, etc. However, I have to feel comfortable in a social situation before I crack the door open a bit and let you in.
    If I'm at an indoor or outdoor range that doesn't have a time limit on my lane I will be more inclined to chat, to a point. If I'm payiny rent from my time there then not so much. But in either case the reason I am there is for a specific purpose and would like to concentrate at my task at hand with minimal distractions.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    giphy.gif

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    How convenient, exposing, and predictable. I will just wait here till You can prove me wrong or change ANY of my opinions. I will not however stoop to insults and name calling like so many keyboard commandos do these days.

Stating that your so called facts are actually opinions isn’t name calling.

The entire premise of your original post was that you have to interact other people to be aware. What are you learning from them during that interaction, that increases your level of awareness, that you couldn’t have assumed through observing them?

The reality is that I expect you will be waiting for a long time to change your opinions on anything no matter what anyone presented.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    When I go shooting at Sugar Ridge, if there is someone else there I will say hi. Sometimes I even talk with them about what they are shooting. The only time I get nervous is when they start talking about the black helicopters that come just before you die.

But that is a free public range and cost nothing to be friendly. But if there are others waiting to use the range I do not do a lot of chatter.

Am I the only one who has offered to let a stranger try out their gun so they can see how it shoots and feels?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    When I go shooting at Sugar Ridge, if there is someone else there I will say hi. Sometimes I even talk with them about what they are shooting. The only time I get nervous is when they start talking about the black helicopters that come just before you die.

But that is a free public range and cost nothing to be friendly. But if there are others waiting to use the range I do not do a lot of chatter.

Am I the only one who has offered to let a stranger try out their gun so they can see how it shoots and feels?

good for you. Helping, interacting and introducing new shooters to the sport is truly giving something back.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I get to know the person in the next bay when their hot brass is hitting my cheek or they're shooting at my target. Usually I have my muffs on, focused on the target, gun handling, breathing, adjusting sights, loading mags, trying to keep an eye on my range bag. I save acknowledging people's thoughts and asking for their opinions for when I ask someone to join me and try to make them feel welcome. That's when I'll take something to shoot that's already dialed in and have fun with it.
    I'll talk to people who interest me and acknowledge those who talk to me. I don't show up to shake everyone's hand. :twocents:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Being helpful and making contact with other shooters has been very rewarding for all parties. Now I must admit, I do most of my shooting on private Conservation Clubs and on my private land, however I do frequent a few commercial indoor ranges every now and again and almost never go to a State Owned facility anymore. Since I train throughout the midwest I get to meet some very good people and shooters. Saying all that to say this, I have adapted a persona from my Chapman days, I have a very low tolerance for stupid gun handling. If I am swept or otherwise in danger of some video game you tube educated casual gun owner, there will be words. I will not quietly whine to the Admin while everyone waits with their head down for an happening to become an accident though negligence. Now many times, I turn the gun owner and get training for me or another trainer to get him on the right track. That is people skills. Or we can do nothing. It used to be that my winter months would slow down for training but in the last few years I am more busy than I want to be especially in Florida travels.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Have to say I agree with the OP! I am an old man, be 79 in May. In my younger days it was common to speak to just about everyone you passed when walking with a "Good Day", "nice weather" "beautiful baby" or other opening comment. Often the person replied likewise, and continued walking, but occasionally they opened a conversation. People communicated with each other face to face and many times you found a friend.

Today I have see many (if not most) people communicating? with a cellphone in front of their nose! I have actually seen people using these devices to text people across the table from them in a restaurant! It is not unusual to see people walking down a sidewalk or crossing a street without being at all aware of where they are at, or what is going around near them.

I belong to a conservation club and have struck up conversations there several times - can't say it made me any safer but I have seen and met some interesting people and looked at some firearms I would not have seen at a gun show.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    There's a big difference between being an introvert and having your nose stuck in a social media. I was introverted and socially awkward long before the internet and smartphones were popular. I'm more than happy to talk about common interests but my brain is not wired to initiate first contact or make small talk. Now that you bring it up, I think part of the reason I drive/shoot weird stuff is to say "hey come over and ask me about this because I can't start the conversation myself"

mwwilkew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Before he died Paul Harvey said something like with social media, texting, emails, facetime and skype, we have never had so many ways to communicate but yet say nothing to each others soul.

That’s very true. Probably especially true for middle-aged men.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Being helpful and making contact with other shooters has been very rewarding for all parties. Now I must admit, I do most of my shooting on private Conservation Clubs and on my private land, however I do frequent a few commercial indoor ranges every now and again and almost never go to a State Owned facility anymore. Since I train throughout the midwest I get to meet some very good people and shooters. Saying all that to say this, I have adapted a persona from my Chapman days, I have a very low tolerance for stupid gun handling. If I am swept or otherwise in danger of some video game you tube educated casual gun owner, there will be words. I will not quietly whine to the Admin while everyone waits with their head down for an happening to become an accident though negligence. Now many times, I turn the gun owner and get training for me or another trainer to get him on the right track. That is people skills. Or we can do nothing. It used to be that my winter months would slow down for training but in the last few years I am more busy than I want to be especially in Florida travels.
    I get it. You're an old school, tough as nails, take no crap kinda guy who's been there and done that. You've got experiences to pass onto people and you feel obligated to do that because of your observations with the youths of today and the current trends that are frustrating you. People are being unsafe around you at the range. You are a trainer and want to train them, probably with very good intentions and hope that they learn so they don't do it again. People have their heads buried in electronics and need to pay attention more to everyday life events that are unfolding before their very eyes. You have your opinions about things based on your experiences. I still get all of that and don't disagree with any of it either. I can appreciate all those values.

The problem I do have is your approach and your responses anytime someone offers up a different way to solve a problem. These self congratulating threads you seem to enjoy starting are beyond getting old. I haven't personally seen someone pat themselves on the back around here as much as you do. Humbleness would do you some good sir and I'm willing to bet I'm not the first to tell you that. This community is smart enough to recognize who's good at what they do and we don't need them to constantly tell us just how great they are, or shove it down our throats any chance they get either. You might be one hell of a competitor, trainer and all around guy in person, but I can't seem to get past your inflated ego you keep shoving in everyone's face every chance you get.

By the way, YouTube does have good educational videos available by well respected individuals in not only the firearms industry, but many other industries as well. To make a statement the way you did about where casual gun owners get their education is pretty ignorant. I'd rather someone get properly educated by a reliable source on YouTube, than get misguided information on the street. Just like on forums, you learn who to listen to and who to ignore.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I get it. You're an old school, tough as nails, take no crap kinda guy who's been there and done that. You've got experiences to pass onto people and you feel obligated to do that because of your observations with the youths of today and the current trends that are frustrating you. People are being unsafe around you at the range. You are a trainer and want to train them, probably with very good intentions and hope that they learn so they don't do it again. People have there heads buried in electronics and need to pay attention more to everyday life events that are unfolding before their very eyes. You have your opinions about things based on your experiences. I still get all of that and don't disagree with any of it either. I can appreciate all those values.

The problem I do have is your approach and your responses anytime someone offers up a different way to solve a problem. These self congratulating threads you seem to enjoy starting are beyond getting old. I haven't personally seen someone pat themselves on the back around here as much as you do. Humbleness would do you some good sir and I'm willing to bet I'm not the first to tell you that. This community is smart enough to recognize who's good at what they do and we don't need them to constantly tell us just how great they are, or shove it down our throats any chance they get either. You might be one hell of a competitor, trainer and all around guy in person, but I can't seem to get past your inflated ego you keep shoving in everyone's face every chance you get.

By the way, YouTube does have good educational videos available by well respected individuals in not only the firearms industry, but many other industries as well. To make a statement the way you did about where casual gun owners get their education is pretty ignorant. I'd rather someone get properly educated by a reliable source on YouTube, than get misguided information on the street. Just like on forums, you learn who to listen to and who to ignore.
    Must spread and all. But dayumm, exactly what I think, spoken in much kinder words

Top Bottom