• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    That's one of the coolest gifs ever. And how very appropriate.

giphy.gif

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    With all the talk about Awareness I find it interesting that most shooters don't know the person in the next bay. Introversion and keeping your head down in today's world is taught or practiced by many. My observations are the same rather it is a commercial range or private club. To be better aware of a person takes interaction, everything else is casual observation or being heedless. Before he died Paul Harvey said something like with social media, texting, emails, facetime and skype, we have never had so many ways to communicate but yet say nothing to each others soul.

Do you seriously believe the only possibilities are one end of the spectrum or the other?
    I am very aware of those around me, not casual, not heedless, and I don't need to blabber with them to do it. The interaction part is NOT a requirement.
    It is called situational awareness.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Old guys at the range are a PITA.
    Range time is socializing for them. Retired folks, gives em something to do.
    Goody.

Now I don't go to ranges to shoot for an "hour".
    I'm a half a day guy.
    But folks running their mouths and not being courteous to others that may be on a tighter schedule, is annoying.

Some spread their crap over several benches, but only use one.
    Others when several benches open, have to set right next to you with a brass thrower or boomer.

I don't want people walking behind my bench, I want to know where everybody is for safety.
    Old bastids wandering around for brass or ? Get the hell out from behind me.

Don't sit at the bench next to me and blab to me while I'm trying to shoot.

Of course some think they know more and just want to strike up a conversation so they can try to impress.

IMHO let your targets do the talking.
    You and they can see who knows what and you might find them to be of similar mind.

Use the targets as a filter.

When I see somebody shooting like crap I don't see it as an opportunity to become friends.
    I don't see it as an opportunity to inform either.

Don't give a flip.

But, if they do have a problem and ask for help, that is different.
    Never volunteer though.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Do you seriously believe the only possibilities are one end of the spectrum or the other?
    I am very aware of those around me, not casual, not heedless, and I don't need to blabber with them to do it. The interaction part is NOT a requirement.
    It is called situational awareness.
    ​Aaaaand you would be wrong!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Old guys at the range are a PITA.
    Range time is socializing for them. Retired folks, gives em something to do.
    Goody.

Now I don't go to ranges to shoot for an "hour".
    I'm a half a day guy.
    But folks running their mouths and not being courteous to others that may be on a tighter schedule, is annoying.

Some spread their crap over several benches, but only use one.
    Others when several benches open, have to set right next to you with a brass thrower or boomer.

I don't want people walking behind my bench, I want to know where everybody is for safety.
    Old bastids wandering around for brass or ? Get the hell out from behind me.

Don't sit at the bench next to me and blab to me while I'm trying to shoot.

Of course some think they know more and just want to strike up a conversation so they can try to impress.

IMHO let your targets do the talking.
    You and they can see who knows what and you might find them to be of similar mind.

Use the targets as a filter.

When I see somebody shooting like crap I don't see it as an opportunity to become friends.
    I don't see it as an opportunity to inform either.

Don't give a flip.

But, if they do have a problem and ask for help, that is different.
    Never volunteer though.

Pretty much how I live my life overall, including while at the range.

Well said.

TacOpsGuy320

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Greenfield
    I enjoy talking to people at whatever range I am shooting at. I am kinda extroverted though so I kinda don't give you a choice I am going to engage you and you are going to speak (as most people aren't rude on purpose IMO).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I kinda don't give you a choice I am going to engage you and you are going to speak (as most people aren't rude on purpose IMO).

I don't know, sounds like being rude on purpose.

Picking up on someone's cues and whether they are receptive to being engaged is a skill...

Top Bottom