Future of hunting & shooting in Indiana is evolving in the wrong direction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Many may not be aware that deer hunting in Indiana was banned at one time.
    Early 1900's saw the whitetail deer population all but completely decimated.

Hunting was not allowed for a few decades, until the 1950's.

Deer herds in Indiana are at historic highs today compared to the last century.
    It was NOT the general population that brought back the deer.
    It was the DNR, and wildlife managers that were responsible for there even being a deer season today.

I first started hunting Indiana whitetails in the early 1980's.
    At that time, the deer season was about two weekends long.
    You were restricted to one buck per season, no does.
    You were also required to use ONLY a shotgun loaded with 12 or 20ga, NOTHING else was legal.

I have to laugh when I read these posts about how the Indiana DNR is "against sportsmen".
    I have never had more opportunities to hunt, nor have I ever had the ability (legally) to harvest more deer in a single season.

Seems to me that some hunters today feel like they should be allowed to hunt whatever they want, whenever they want, with whatever weapon they choose, and many don't want to be told they can't hunt on property that doesn't belong to them without first securing permission. Pardon me, but I'm not impressed by the "sportsmen" who feel they should be making the rules.

But, but, that goes against the INGO narrative of gov't can't do anything right and "King's Deer". Almost like more people get to use the natural resources of the state now thanks to DNR management. Odd, that.

When I was a kid if you saw a wild turkey you'd seen something (assuming it wasn't accompanied by a shot glass, different thing all together). Now seeing a few dozen is no big deal.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    When I was a kid.......had groundhogs and quail and pheasant.

Had red and grey fox.

Now we have geese, deer, turkey and coyotes.

What a deal.

Thanks DNR ;)

No chucks, game birds or grey fox.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    While the DNR has to manage a lot of stuff, for a lot of people (not just hunters).
    And it's a tough gig......

IMHO the PCR fiasco proved some in the group are not friends of hunters.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I started deer hunting in '84 IIRC.
    Bow was buck only first season, either sex late season.
    One buck was it for the yr too.

Opening day '85.....got my first shot
    4 pt, 150# dressed.

That kinda sucked (as all my buds got to keep hunting and I was done).

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    But, but, that goes against the INGO narrative of gov't can't do anything right and "King's Deer". Almost like more people get to use the natural resources of the state now thanks to DNR management. Odd, that.

When I was a kid if you saw a wild turkey you'd seen something (assuming it wasn't accompanied by a shot glass, different thing all together). Now seeing a few dozen is no big deal.

They are the King's deer, hunting them out of season even on your own land will bring a stiff penalty if you are caught.

Indiucky can tell you all about Wild Turkey.;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They are the King's deer, hunting them out of season even on your own land will bring a stiff penalty if you are caught.

No, they aren't. Them walking on to your property doesn't make them yours any more than someone parking in your driveway makes their car yours.

When they are the King's deer, only the King gets to hunt them. When they are a state resource, the citizens get to hunt them but there are rules to prevent the "Tragedy of the Commons" and to promote the future viability of the resource.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No, they aren't. Them walking on to your property doesn't make them yours any more than someone parking in your driveway makes their car yours.

When they are the King's deer, only the King gets to hunt them. When they are a state resource, the citizens get to hunt them but there are rules to prevent the "Tragedy of the Commons" and to promote the future viability of the resource.

Poorly chosen metaphor perhaps, that's my point, they belong to the state and the state makes the rules for their use. Choosing who makes those rules is an indirect process for us ordinary citizens. Most of those people are appointed or hired. I think the governor picks the top people but I don't know for sure.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Calling them the King's deer has been common for as long as I can remember. The point is the government (formerly the King in England), gives the citizenry permission on when and how they can be hunted.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Poorly chosen metaphor perhaps, that's my point, they belong to the state and the state makes the rules for their use. Choosing who makes those rules is an indirect process for us ordinary citizens. Most of those people are appointed or hired. I think the governor picks the top people but I don't know for sure.

Right, it is a poor metaphor. It's another false tyranny narrative. The same one that protesters walking in the street obstructing traffic use. "Well, the streets belong to the people and I'm a person, so I can do whatever I want in the street except the big tyrant government trampling on my rights to walk!!!"

The process may not be direct, but we do have input on the process. Everyone doesn't get to do exactly what they want, but the majority get to make good use of the resource and the resource is preserved for future generations. That's a far cry from King's Deer, common usage or not.

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Posted here because this is the best conversation going in the Hunting forum and I's rather not start a thread if I don't have to...

...am I reading the centerfire rifle regulations right... Is 7.62x39 legal or illegal to use for deer hunting on PUBLIC land? Basically... I really, really like my AK variant rifle but I knew the standard 30 round mag had to be illegal so I was looking to see if it'd be legal to hunt with one of those California 10 rounders... But it seems like I'm only finding 7.62x39 legal on private land.

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Many may not be aware that deer hunting in Indiana was banned at one time.
    Early 1900's saw the whitetail deer population all but completely decimated.

Hunting was not allowed for a few decades, until the 1950's.

Deer herds in Indiana are at historic highs today compared to the last century.
    It was NOT the general population that brought back the deer.
    It was the DNR, and wildlife managers that were responsible for there even being a deer season today.

I first started hunting Indiana whitetails in the early 1980's.
    At that time, the deer season was about two weekends long.
    You were restricted to one buck per season, no does.
    You were also required to use ONLY a shotgun loaded with 12 or 20ga, NOTHING else was legal.

I have to laugh when I read these posts about how the Indiana DNR is "against sportsmen".
    I have never had more opportunities to hunt, nor have I ever had the ability (legally) to harvest more deer in a single season.

Seems to me that some hunters today feel like they should be allowed to hunt whatever they want, whenever they want, with whatever weapon they choose, and many don't want to be told they can't hunt on property that doesn't belong to them without first securing permission. Pardon me, but I'm not impressed by the "sportsmen" who feel they should be making the rules.

To me, this is a beautiful post. And accurate. I didn't grow up in Indiana but my mom and nearly her whole side of the family did. Papa (a Depression/Greatest Generation-era guy) grew up on the 200ish acre Miller farm here near South Bend. My paternal grandpa was a southwest Ohio guy, similar age and situation but a rural worker without a farm but I knew him alot better since he only died 8 years ago as opposed to when I was a little kid... In my experiences, midwestern people of that generation did not see deer every day or even every month like we do if we go drive, walk, run, or bike in even a semi rural area anywhere around dawn or dusk. Straight-up, whites over-hunt, trap, and fish everything everywhere if left to their own devices.

Hell for a long time Indiana Kentucky and Ohio were "The West" in American history. The mythical lands of endless bounty... Or at least until all the trappers hunters and skinners essentially rid the whole region of beaver and deer and had to push further West.

When I took my horse/mule packing class in Montana in 2014 my favorite co-student's name was Ethan, from upstate New York. He was 18 or or 20 years younger than me but funny as hell and we got along so good we decided to cross the country back home together. Dude told me not to fly home, he'd just drop me off in Indiana if I drove part of the way. As much as I liked him, several of his "hunting stories" were illegal as hell. Jacklighting deer from his truck. Killing one in the middle of summer drunk from his truck on the street with his TC muzzle loader.

I don't think any of us want more government but when it comes to deer and turkey hunting there are times I thank god for the state biologists who determine the seasons. If left on our own... i think the main game animal in Indiana would be dumpster racoons.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    @Tsssst
    This thread has absolutely nothing to do with "guys wanting to do what they want to do crap" and does not go back to the dawn of Indiana in the "Northwest Territory" or jacklighting deer or illegal hunting of turkeys or any game animals or even predators.

This thread is about our IDNR and gov. wasting a "boat-load" of money from Pittman-Robertson 11% taxes and relatively "high license fees" to expand shooting ranges and F&W areas,

Only to hire private companies to RUN them, thereby charging EVEN MORE fees ad nauseam.

And the unfair IDNR rules that allow hunters on Private grounds to hunt longer hours for turkeys and use classic deer caliber rifles for deer.

I pay the same license fees as "private land hunters" pay. Still waiting for the five year deer rifle experiment to conclude to see if I can hunt with a 30/06 for

example. And stopping my hunt on public lands at 1pm for turkeys when private land is open ALL day.

The focus here just went off the rails by some comments in the thread. But the issue is still here and IDNR & gov. still going in the wrong direction.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Currently HP legal for private only, PCR legal for private/public.

Used to be no rifles, or even handguns.

There have been changes..........progress.

Maybe not as fast as some folks would like.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As for the deer rifle regs.............public land mandates .35 cal or larger, 1.16" - 1.8" case).
    7.62 is smaller in caliber.

That means "No go" on public land (in rifle). Is legal in handgun though.
    Don't start the "how can that be different" stuff.

Specialty pistols usually have EER scopes............if you haven't hunted with them..........they're pretty much a PITA.
    Even w other sights/platforms, handgunningl is a bit tougher. Not very popular.

FWIW, handgunners make up less than 1% of the deer harvest (last data I checked).

BTW the Nosler 48 pistol looks cool ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom