Future of hunting & shooting in Indiana is evolving in the wrong direction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    fingers are gone? They just had Traditional National Archery shoot first week of June in Cloverdale. 30 years and running.
    a lot of folks that shoot instinctive traditional bows and are exceptional hunters with fingers.
    I use a leather tab & a DEEP grip with a longbow or recurve, no sights required. my shots are instinctive and dead on to 30 yards and I don't need more.
    Cam bow I use a release but I'm still using my fingers..............

BTW, the .357 mag. is very marginal deer cartridge for handgun hunting deer. 158gr. bullets are just too light and require very precise hits in heart & lungs.
    I use nothing less than 210gr. in .41 Rem. Mag. or 240gr. in .44 Rem Mag. Even though my deer handgun harvests have been at bow range distances I still respect deer enough to want a quick kill.

Well if we want to get picky, most folks use compounds these days and nobody I know makes one for fingers (split- 1 top, 2 under)
    Yeah Hoyt did a longer ATA but it was still 65% letoff. Guys do shoot some rigs like that, going 2 under.
    I dunno if the new Oneida can adjust to 50%. The Black Eagles are favored for fingers and command a hefty price (no longer made).

As for Cloverdale............yup, shot it twice '88 and '02.
    Saw a chitload of horrible shooters.
    Gap 3 ft wide by the stake, target 25 yards out and trees one either side of the gap trashed.

I've been shooting recurves off and on since mid 80's. My preference is for Black Widow.
    Currently have two old metal riser models, but had 3 different ones built ('87, 01 and 04).

As for .357 magnum. Yup, my choice in the Python was 140gr Hornady Leverevolution. It liked them very well.
    Dunno what happened first shot, but when he stopped and was facing away at 50 ish.......I knew he was dead.
    And boom..........he was.

As for .41 mag...........never cared for it. Like .44 mag better.
    Like the SBH Dragoon frame.........hate Blackhawk frames (yeah I know you can switch em on new models).
    Took my first handgun deer in '90 w a 3 screw SBH and hard cast 255gr.
    My other deer (excluding Python kill) were shot with screaming hot 180 and 200gr JHP, from various Smith 629's (and one SRH).
    They work very well.
    And unless shoulder/spine hit...........exit.

As for the handgun regs..............year one mandated .35 cal and larger.
    A few years later it did change, to .24 and larger.

Kinda hurt the specialty pistol .35 stuff.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW If I get a Contender in .357 I'll proly run 180s max'd out in it.
    Not really a .357 mag fan.
    But .35 rem buzzed my arm for a couple hrs afterward, so I figured I'd best drop things a bit.
    Used to not bother me. Eh, stuff changes.
    Deer spot I have now, not good enough to play the handgun game.
    After bow.......it's rifle time.

Last edited:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My only handgun deer was with a savage striker in 243. I had a head injury that fractured my orbital socket and cheek bone, couldn't shoot a long gun due to recoil. It was challenging. I always have a pistol with me but when the moment of truth comes up, I chicken out a long gun them. gonna try to pistol does this fall. Like to test the 10 mm out and revolver a couple.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Don't like longbows. Don't like 41 mag either.
    Think you and I would never get along LOL.
    We would get along great!
    I have a Ruger Redhawk hunter .44 Rem. mag. but my S&W 657 is pleasant and much nicer to shoot.
    I have a PSE stinger with wisker biscuit and sights shooting carbon shafts a little over 300 fps and I can use it especially on cold days, the let-off is so nice.
    Good hunters that are good sportsman will always respect one another.
    So would we.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My only handgun deer was with a savage striker in 243. I had a head injury that fractured my orbital socket and cheek bone, couldn't shoot a long gun due to recoil. It was challenging. I always have a pistol with me but when the moment of truth comes up, I chicken out a long gun them. gonna try to pistol does this fall. Like to test the 10 mm out and revolver a couple.

My dad has a 7mm 08 Striker.
    My youngest loves shooting that thing :)

I took my first Contender .35 rem hunting...........but never fired a shot.
    All my deer have been revolver kills.

Like to specialty pistol one, and autoloader one.

Top Bottom