G48 / G43X game changing 15 round magazine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Me too. I'll make do with the stock 10 round magazines. If I feel I need more then I'll carry something different. I'll just use the money from the refund for something else tangible that I can actually use right now.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Well, I just talked with Shield about my order. They told me a few weeks yet.

I figured I had waited long enough and I just cancelled the order.

Me too. I'll make do with the stock 10 round magazines. If I feel I need more then I'll carry something different. I'll just use the money from the refund for something else tangible that I can actually use right now.

Too bad. They just got their shipment in and are filling the back orders.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Too bad. They just got their shipment in and are filling the back orders.

I waited a while for Level IV plates that were cheap. They eventually came....influx of orders now so yeah it's going to take longer than usual. I have them though...Still waiting on a couple plates from ar500 that are supposed to be shipped within a month. It was a 3 month lead time.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I waited a while for Level IV plates that were cheap. They eventually came....influx of orders now so yeah it's going to take longer than usual. I have them though...Still waiting on a couple plates from ar500 that are supposed to be shipped within a month. It was a 3 month lead time.

I think the big difference between me and the two gentlemen above is that the Shield Arms magazines are the only reason I bought the 48, so being patient and waiting for the mags was a no brainer for me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Just picked up a Glock 48 a few weeks ago. Great little shooter, probably the best feeling Glock that I have. I ordered 2 Shield Arms mags and a metal mag catch on 10/23. I don't expect to get them until early 2021, but that's ok. I can carry other pistols if I feel like 10+1 and a spare mag won't cut it. Even with the Shield Arms 15 round mags, I still won't be selling my G19. I've got boxes of mags that are compatible with my G19 and 5 other guns in my collection, but I ain't buying boxes of 15 round mags at $40 each that fit only my G48.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was so very excited when these mags were announced as I love the G48 but hated the factory capacity. I ordered the mags (and mag release) and took them to the range to ensure function. Over 300 rounds without issue. These mags seemed GTG.

However.....now I am experiencing a serious rattling issue with the mags when loaded. If I put any more than 12 rounds in the mags, I get rounds rattling around in the mag. Because of the metal mags, it sounds loud. I called Shield Arms and their answer was to smack the base plates to see if I could get the ammo to seat better. No luck. No mater how much I smack them, same rattle.

Mags rattling around really takes the conceal out of conceal carry for me. Unfortunately, this gun and mags has been regulated to range use as I cannot stand the sounds of rattling ammo in my mags when carrying my pistol.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I was so very excited when these mags were announced as I love the G48 but hated the factory capacity. I ordered the mags (and mag release) and took them to the range to ensure function. Over 300 rounds without issue. These mags seemed GTG.

However.....now I am experiencing a serious rattling issue with the mags when loaded. If I put any more than 12 rounds in the mags, I get rounds rattling around in the mag. Because of the metal mags, it sounds loud. I called Shield Arms and their answer was to smack the base plates to see if I could get the ammo to seat better. No luck. No mater how much I smack them, same rattle.

Mags rattling around really takes the conceal out of conceal carry for me. Unfortunately, this gun and mags has been regulated to range use as I cannot stand the sounds of rattling ammo in my mags when carrying my pistol.

I hope mine don't rattle when I get them, but if they don't rattle with 12+1, that's still pretty good capacity for as slim as the G48 is. Yeah, my P365 is the same capacity and smaller, but my G48 has more grip surface and is easier (for me) to shoot. I want good capacity, but it isn't always about cramming the max amount of rounds into the dinkiest package to me. Shootability is a thing, as long as I feel like capacity is adequate. 15+1 is nice, but 10+1 of 9mm +P and a spare mag or 2 is still a formidable payload for most any civilian concealed carry need.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I'm curious (don't have any specific first hand knowledge of these mags), if you take them apart and maybe clean and check for any damage to the floor plate, etc (I assume they have one that connects to the spring that rides inside the mag) and reassemble if the rattling continues.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    ACC, get hold of shield arms. They fielded a few questions I had prior to purchase.

I did. Here was their response:

"[FONT=&quot]Double stack mag rattle is normal and is caused by straight magazine walls and tapered rounds. You can Google Glock mag rattle to learn what people have done over the years to mitigate rattle, but it's normal and doesn't indicate an issue. One of the better tricks is to load the magazine, then smack the bottom of the mag on the heel of your hand to "seat" the rounds.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Shield Arms"
    [/FONT]

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I did. Here was their response:

"[FONT=&amp]Double stack mag rattle is normal and is caused by straight magazine walls and tapered rounds. You can Google Glock mag rattle to learn what people have done over the years to mitigate rattle, but it's normal and doesn't indicate an issue. One of the better tricks is to load the magazine, then smack the bottom of the mag on the heel of your hand to "seat" the rounds.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thanks![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Shield Arms"
    [/FONT]

My Glock mags will rattle. When they do, I just unload and reload them and it usually fixes the issue. So far I have not had that problem with the Shield mags.

I heard they were making a 10 round for the 43?

They are working on 43 mags, but I very much doubt they'll end up 10 rounders. There doesn't seem to be enough space to cram an extra four rounds in there just by decreasing wall thickness. The 43 magazines are considerably narrower than the 43X magazines. Shield Arms is being very secretive about the capacity, so nobody really knows.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis

I had this happen once or twice. You may need to slap the mag against your hand a few times. This has happened in my 33 round glock 9mm magazines as well.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Back-ordered 2 Shield Arms mags and a steel mag catch from their website for my Glock 48 on October 23.
    Just got an email that they were shipped today.

Top Bottom