• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I throw most everything back into the compost. Always trying to burn up the weed seeds, but actually I've just learned to live with them.

My garden on is surrounded by pastures. On top of the seeds that don't get killed in my compost, the pastures load my garden with weed seeds everytime the wind blows.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Little more burn...

20190813-215116.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Those are cheesecake pumpkin tarts, made from the pumpkin.

The pumpkins were volunteers from the compost, that overran my mellon patch. Last years Fresh Thyme pie pumpkins on sale. :rolleyes:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Price alert!

If you use coconut coir for soil-less plant starts, rooting, moisture retention in potting soil, as a replacement for sphagnum peat moss, etc. than Walmart has a deal for you. I bought a brick at Walmart today and had a pleasant surprise. It displays on their web site for $8/8.25lbs ($0.97/lb), but when I went to check out, it was $5 ($0.61/lb). On Amazon, the best I saw for about the same size was $16/11lbs ($1.45/lb). I'll be going back for another couple of bricks tomorrow.

A friend found this at a second Walmart and noticed that they apparently vary noticeably in volume. Look for the thickest bricks.

Your mileage may vary. Verify the price before checkout.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Zucchini has stopped 3 weeks ago. Cucumbers are finally kickin butt. Corn sucked this year. Pumpkins are slowly getting that white mold on the leaves. Jalapenos, coolpenos, hot banana peppers are growing faster than i have ever seen. My bell peppers have yet to produce anything decent.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm hoping for a decent fall garden. Hoping for the global warming to push the frost date back a month or so???

Anyone have a proven home canning salsa recipe?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The cabbage white caterpillars have basically stripped the broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage of leaves and are getting into the parts we want. But they have nearly made up for all the problems by consuming the kale.
    Eggplants going well, Roma tomatoes about done, okra doing poorly (YES!). Go a lot of beans after we covered then with bird netting to keep the deer away.
    It appears we planted the cucumbers, pumpkins, and several kinds of squash too close to each other - we have all kinds of strange hybrids, some of which are't too bad.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The cabbage white caterpillars have basically stripped the broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage of leaves and are getting into the parts we want. But they have nearly made up for all the problems by consuming the kale.

Those plants are all in the brassica family. Check into Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) spray. It is a very good organic solution that isn't poisonous and won't hurt pollinators.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

My kale and collard greens were great early on but are now nothing but lace thanks to the bugs. Japanese eggplant was not good this year. Very hot and dry and I was too busy to water as I should have. The tomatoes took a long time to start but when they hit they were some of the best tasting I have ever grown. Same for the cherry tomatoes of which my one plant gave me about a quart a week at peak.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm headed out now to dust with diatomaceous earth for plant eaters of various sort. Beans, horseradish, cabbage, broccoli all being eaten.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Doubtful. That size should go into the ground in the May-June time frame. They need to put roots about a foot down into the ground to survive the winter. Looks like you've started too late for that. I'd let them grow for the rest of the season and replant into larger containers. Then after first frost and they get the signal for the greens to die off, put them into a protected environment (attached garage?) to overwinter. Here is a good asparagus video. If you aren't already, you should check out his channel.

[video=youtube;hTfjxm8-WKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTfjxm8-WKI[/video]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom