• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    If you want the engine to run correctly & efficiently, don't forget an 'Expansion' chamber.
    This is as easy as a car muffler, just someplace for heated gas to expand fairly close to the engine.

This is fairly self explanatory, I would recommend exhaust pipe (and muffler) from the parts store or exhaust shop.
    It's cheap, many parts stores have short pieces and clamps, any exhaust shop can bend tubing into custom shapes, etc.
    A short (I emphasize short) run of OVERSIZED flex pipe to attach the generator to your muffler/exhaust system.
    Common vehicle exhaust pipe will be oversized (allowing for both low restriction flow & expansion) for your generator.

*IF* you intend to run the generator for a long while, I would also suggest increasing the size of the air filter.
    Small sponge foam air cleaners are REALLY restrictive in the intake tract, while a smaller common car paper element filter is easily replaceable, not nearly as restrictive, inexpensive and does a better job for this application.
    Mowers & chain saws are in high dust/grit enviormental situations, while a genset in the garage isn't going to need the excessive (restrictive) filtering the mower or saw will need.

What I do for myself & customers,
    A common, less restrictive air filter with a lot more surface area that works longer before needing cleaned or replaced.
    A supply of replacement air filters.
    A supply of crankcase oil, for small generators, that's usually a METAL 5 gallon can clearly marked as engine oil.
    A supply of oil filters if the engine uses a filter.
    A stand that gets the genset up off the floor, both for longevity of the genset and to make oil changes easier.
    I replace drain plugs with metal ball valves, this makes for no tools oil changes.
    I also make sure there is a supply of ignition parts, spark plugs, an extra magneto (metal 'E' shaped frame with plastic moulded around it and a spark plug wire coming out of it), and if the genset is larger, breaker points or ignition module & tools/instructions on how to replace the ignition components.

In a full on generator setup, I also setup dual fuel capabilities.
    Any diesel or gasoline generator will run on propane (LPG) or natural gas, and it's dirt simple to switch over.
    Gasoline engines will run along fine on alcohol, but that takes MUCH more work to switch over.

Keep in mind here, LPG (Propane) will store INDEFINITELY, while gasoline, alcohol & diesel do have a shelf life...
    If you live somewhere that has city gas service (CNG, 'Natural' gas) this service will be working when the power is out long term.
    No rotation of fuel, no treating fuel, no headaches from fuel degrading gaskets or turning into sludge while the genset waits to be used.
    There are definitely advantages to LPG/CNG over liquid fuels.

This is very important or the exhaust system will build up to much heat

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My genny in the backyard doesn't sound too loud in the front yard, especially compared to all the folks running them in their garages.
    It's only out when I'm home and awake.
    I tie it to the hitch of my truck w/ a big ol chain and padlocks. Yea, it's not super hard to defeat, but I bet it's harder to defeat than the complete lack of any deterrent on all the other gennies in my neighborhood...

-rvb

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I have seen pictures and videos of some setups in England that use old hit n miss engines like the Lister or Petter. Always seemed like a cool setup. Several I have looked at run the engine on propane for the generator, and then run the exhaust through a heat exchange type setup to produce hot water, then run the exhaust outdoors.

Also, maytag washers that used motors in the 20's had a standard flexible hose with a muffler on the far end to run the exhaust outside. so it's been done for a long time.. lol

Top Bottom