• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Have always had issues with getting any sleep the first night in a new motel room and when I've got something special going on the next day. Sleeping pills were ok for business meetings & such, but the residual next morning effects are not such a good thing for shooting, so I'm looking for a better solution.

Talked to a buddy who has shot a lot more & his advice was 'yea it is a problem' :).

Saw a story about same in the book "With winning in mind" where the author told the shooter that since she was awake anyway she might as well be productive and do mental rehearsals of the match. It was reported that this worked in her case and I will give it a try.

Any other tricks that might help with the issue would be great to hear about. Kind of the main thing I'd like to work on this winter is showing up consistently with my head on as straight as possible.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    For me this works the opposite, but for others a good workout before bed helps them sleep.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Have always had issues with getting any sleep the first night in a new motel room...

When you say "any" sleep - do you mean literally laying awake all night? Or just getting less sleep than normal? If you mean literally no sleep, that's probably not going to be good. Granted shooting is not an endurance sport, but it usually involves being outside in the heat most of the day, and after a night of no sleep, adrenaline can only carry you so far. I don't have any experience with sleeping pills, but, if the alternative is laying awake all night...they might be the better option (or a nice cold one).

On the other hand, if you're just talking about getting "less" sleep than normal, and being a little tired, I've found sometimes being just a little tired can take the edge off nerves. As long as you know from experience how you perform under those conditions, it might not be the end of the world.

And Que's Benadryl suggestion is a serious one. We have a niece with migraines who her doctor is now having her take it before bedtime as her best treatment option, after having tried "migraine" meds. Although you didn't say you were a migraine person, the point for you is that it slows down everything in the body. Maybe get familiar with its effects on you before trying on a match trip.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You could try Benedril.

While Benadryl is identical to most sleep aids, it can lead to sluggishness and mental cloudiness the next day. BTDT

For me and my family, Melatonin works wonders. Start small though. Even though I have seen as high as 30mg tablets, studies have shown an adult gets no more benefit for restful sleep by taking anything above 3mg.

So start at 1.5mg and see if that helps. Remember Melatonin does NOT put you to sleep. It triggers the mind's production of its own sleepy time chemicals.

Also be wary of its long term use and pay careful attention to yourself. I know people who get cranky and/or depressed if they take too much of it.

And by all means, mental drills while you are waiting for it to kick in.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yeah, Cameramonkey has a point. We even use melatonin for my son and it works wonders.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Tried it.

Can't afford it, there are some things you don't want to go blue light special with.

If you mean literally no sleep, that's probably not going to be good.

You can't get insights like this on just any forum.

You could try Benedril.

Yeah, Cameramonkey has a point. We even use melatonin for my son and it works wonders.

The over the counter aid things I have not tried. Seems dumb. Had the prescription stuff already & never went back to try to find a milder option. Definitely worth a shot.

Thanks all.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I shot some of my best scores coming back to the barracks for the Division Matches after hitting an E-club and getting snockered with little to no sleep. I was completely relaxed and had no jitters that you get from being well rested and having a fresh cup of coffee. I'm pretty sure the warrant officer in charge of the shooting team knew that my friend and I were hung over, but we posted the best scores for the team.

I am sure that somebody somewhere will **** and moan and say that it's ridiculous. I was a bullseye shooter before the Corps and I always had pre match jitters and couldn't sleep well either. The one time that all my muscle memory flowed and my training exhibited itself with the least interference from my brain over calculating the shot and the triggers for all the fundamentals was that day at the division matches when I was in the Corps. Now, when participating in any shooting event, I will have a few more drinks than normal and go to bed with a buzz. I wake up and shoot possibles for the gun tower qualifications. I even get a chaser for the Shooting events I host. I don't shoot to post scores, since it's my range, but I do shoot exhibition. There is something to being completely relaxed during your participation. I never smoked pot, and Sex didn't relax me, it made me more energized and still does. So, anybody suggesting the benadryl or nyquil potion might just get themselves a couple extra drinks to sleep on. It works.

Last edited:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Have always had issues with getting any sleep the first night in a new motel room and when I've got something special going on the next day. Sleeping pills were ok for business meetings & such, but the residual next morning effects are not such a good thing for shooting, so I'm looking for a better solution.

Talked to a buddy who has shot a lot more & his advice was 'yea it is a problem' :).

Saw a story about same in the book "With winning in mind" where the author told the shooter that since she was awake anyway she might as well be productive and do mental rehearsals of the match. It was reported that this worked in her case and I will give it a try.

Any other tricks that might help with the issue would be great to hear about. Kind of the main thing I'd like to work on this winter is showing up consistently with my head on as straight as possible.

Sleep is important.

I learned that not enough sleep would kill my stage planning and execution.

Also, too much caffeine would not help either.

Usually the night before a match I try not to eat too much.
    The morning of the match I eat a normal to small breakfast with a cup of coffee.

During the match I drink a bottle or two of water when I am thirsty. I also have a small chocolate candy of some sort every or every other stage.

Eating a full meal during the match is bad news...makes me too relaxed.

Being nervous before a match is nothing new. Just remind yourself that staying awake thinking about the match is hurting your score.

Last edited:

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Hey Grelber, how about reading some Demming "The Emerald Road", or re-live some of those Monday morning QB sessions where one would say "that's 60 minutes of my life I'll never get back"....

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    A hard work out late at night then come home and take a hot shower. Then get on INGO for an hour or so and you will be out for the night.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    We all thought it was just the general tenor of your character to be cantankerous,

The sad part is that you've seen me at my best.

Evidence suggests that I don't have a patent.

Sidebar.
    Did squad with a guy last year that was quiet until a rules squabble broke out. He seemed to stick his nose in only enough to be an irritant, and when he did say something it was 'why would anybody care or think that way and how could it possibly make any difference' rules trivia. It was irritating at first, and then he explained to me that he was doing it for fun, and then it was really entertaining. A better person likely would not have thought it was entertaining though.
    I think his approach would get my nose broke, but next time at a match when there is a fight over a detail that seems meaningless, there is something to be said for just sitting back & enjoying the show instead of getting irritated about it.
    I wonder if the more experienced major match officials have sort of honed this skill, some seem to be extremely good at listening to a lot and not getting caught up in it.

birdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    For those of you that sleep before a match, and don't stay up reloading all night, how do you actually have enough ammo to make it through the match?

Seriously though, I find that packing stuff up early the day before, thus figuring out right then if you have everything, helps you to sleep easier the night before a match.

Top Bottom