• ...and so much more!
  • LocustsOfSteel

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Beverly Shores
    I'm confused, who did you pay your State fee to? L1??

Yep, L1 received and processed it online.

i was told that if you cant find your county on the online app then you must do it the old fashion way.dont know how true it is but this is what i was told.

Porter county (in which I reside) was in the list and I selected it... However I don't know about other counties.

Beverly Shores is kind of a dinosaur community lol, old officials, old residents, old ways of doing things, many people use wells instead of the municipal water, most people still only use newspapers and TV for acquiring info instead of the internet, you can only get internet through dial-up or comcast and the price is inflated, and there is no DSL service available here. :rolleyes:

I'm still ticked off that:
    1- The local police were so vacant.
    2- I was told to fill out my info again and pay the state fee for a second time by the marshal.
    3- The state firearms department didn't call back.
    4- And that I just might have to wait 12 weeks for my permit after all....

Life in prehistoric small town's :xmad:

Last edited:

LocustsOfSteel

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Beverly Shores
    Nope, I was charged for the state fees while I was paying for L1's services.
    Signed up for a four year, and they charged me $30 for State And $10.95 for there service, the remaining $10 local I was to personally give to my towns department... From there I posted the horror story of the events that followed.

What I forgot to mention was that the "Indiana State Police Firearms Section" contacted me through email to see what was taking so long on the 9'th of this month, thus I both emailed and called them after my disapointing visit with marshal Landis.

Did you get your license the old fashioned way? Or are you planning on getting yours?

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    You should have your receipt from L1 to show the local PD that you already have paid your state fees. I just started my process this week. I paid L1's fee plus the state fee online, and then they gave me a receipt when I went to the L1 office at the IPS HQ and got fingerprinted. I then drove over to the City-County Building, paid my $10 and got my local fingerprints done.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You should have your receipt from L1 to show the local PD that you already have paid your state fees. I just started my process this week. I paid L1's fee plus the state fee online, and then they gave me a receipt when I went to the L1 office at the IPS HQ and got fingerprinted. I then drove over to the City-County Building, paid my $10 and got my local fingerprints done.

You should have had to pay $50 in Marion County. :dunno: Should have been $85.95 to L1 and $50 to the county for the lifetime license.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    You went to a town Marshall's office? I thought you would go to the county sheriff? Do you live in the city limits? Hmmm... is the online application only good for those not in someone's city limits? I've always wondered that. Not that it matters for me but I do follow this thread.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    You should have had to pay $50 in Marion County. :dunno: Should have been $85.95 to L1 and $50 to the county for the lifetime license.
    I only got the 4 year, as I am a cheap-ass. Actually, I just don't have that much free income right now, as I am back in school working on a second BS, and only get to work about 20 hrs a week.

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Should always try and save up for the Lifetime and do the L1 system don't spend 12 weeks waiting for something you can have in less 2 weeks:ingo:

cannonball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Crown Point
    Go to the L-1 web site, select a location for fingerprinting, and then pay both the state fee and the L-1 fee on line. Saves time and trouble. Be sure to print out a receipt and take it to the L-1 location and to your local police/sheriff. Mine took 10 days total, but I had to wait on the Crown Point clerk because reportedly she only works Thursday mornings. That, plus our mail can sometimes be slow.

LocustsOfSteel

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Beverly Shores
    You went to a town Marshall's office? I thought you would go to the county sheriff? Do you live in the city limits? Hmmm... is the online application only good for those not in someone's city limits? I've always wondered that. Not that it matters for me but I do follow this thread.

Nope, the Porter county sheriff website says to go to your local police station and marshal Landis runs the one in Beverly Shores.

Good news at last! :D

About a week ago I got an email from the Indiana State Police Firearms Division, and they apologized for the problems and delays and said that the marshal had been set up to accept electronic applications.
    So I dropped by Wednesday morning, and he said he still hadn't fully set it up yet but it should be ready by Tuesday and got my phone number so he could call me when he was set up, I went home and called ISPFD to make sure me app would stay online for him and they said they'd keep it posted.

Just a little over an hour ago I got a call from the marshal and he said he was pulling a late shift tonight and that while having nothing to do he downloaded the necessary programs and got set up to accept my application.

So we arranged to complete this process Tuesday at 11:00 am.

YAY, finally I will soon be able to legally transport a handgun to a shooting range, and I can legally carry it for self defense.

I've been mugged twice in my 25 years on this planet, and as soon as I get the permit in the mail I'll know that it wont happen again. :draw::patriot:

Last edited:

LocustsOfSteel

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Beverly Shores
    I remember that it took me WEEKS to get mine....lucky!!

Did you use the internet and L-1, or did you do it the old fashioned way?

I just finished the process at my local police depot.
    Because the marshal and I scheduled it ahead of time he had everything loaded up and ready ahead of time, it only took a couple of minutes to pay him and get my copy of the receipt, and was told that it will be coming in the mail soon, was also told to laminate it because it's made of paper and the ink is cheap and smudges easy.

Yay, the hard part's over, now to play the waiting game... that might be just as hard to bear :):

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Did you use the internet and L-1, or did you do it the old fashioned way?

I just finished the process at my local police depot.
    Because the marshal and I scheduled it ahead of time he had everything loaded up and ready ahead of time, it only took a couple of minutes to pay him and get my copy of the receipt, and was told that it will be coming in the mail soon, was also told to laminate it because it's made of paper and the ink is cheap and smudges easy.

Yay, the hard part's over, now to play the waiting game... that might be just as hard to bear :):

Old fashion...never heard of L1 security or how to go about it.

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    There's no point. L1 is just taking your finger prints and this will be forwarded to local police and state law enforcement. might as well save yourself any cost and just go to the police department. Its no big deal. I went for my life time license a few months ago. All that happens is you get the paperwork from the front desk, fill it out and then an officer will come out and finger print you. Takes all of 5 min.

side note.. yeah it took about 9 weeks for me to get my lifetime back. Nothing special to consider either with me. So there must be a bit of a line lately.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    There's no point. L1 is just taking your finger prints and this will be forwarded to local police and state law enforcement. might as well save yourself any cost and just go to the police department. Its no big deal. I went for my life time license a few months ago. All that happens is you get the paperwork from the front desk, fill it out and then an officer will come out and finger print you. Takes all of 5 min.

side note.. yeah it took about 9 weeks for me to get my lifetime back. Nothing special to consider either with me. So there must be a bit of a line lately.

Especially for first time licensees I think the extra $10 that L1 charges is money well spent when you get your LTCH in a matter of days as opposed to 2 months or more. :twocents:

lpenni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    My son received his live time LTCH. He used L1, printed and paid all fees 11-19 and LTCH arrived 11-26. He lives in Indianapolis.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    L1 is the way to go, 3 months? No thanks!

My wife and I filled out our apps online and chose the L1 option and set up an appointment with one of the 2 or 3 locations in Indianapolis. Ours was on 71st street and actually the L1 was inside a shipping store. Fingerprinting was fast and we paid our fees there and got reciepts. We headed downtown to the city county building and went to the firearms division. We told them we did L1, more paperwork, another round of prints and it was over.

We each got our lifetime LTCH in 4 buisness days. Well worth the extra fee.

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I went the traditional way and it took me 12 weeks. My dad did it the L-1 route and had it in 4 days, then proceeded to rub it in my face. Moral of this story, GO THE L-1 ROUTE!!!!

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    L1 is the way to go, 3 months? No thanks!

My wife and I filled out our apps online and chose the L1 option and set up an appointment with one of the 2 or 3 locations in Indianapolis. Ours was on 71st street and actually the L1 was inside a shipping store. Fingerprinting was fast and we paid our fees there and got reciepts. We headed downtown to the city county building and went to the firearms division. We told them we did L1, more paperwork, another round of prints and it was over.

We each got our lifetime LTCH in 4 buisness days. Well worth the extra fee.

I was just there yesterday. I looked at the address on the form, looked at the story, and thought "you've got to be kidding me...?"

NPD called me today to come in do the local part and hopefully I'll have mine in 4 days.

For $10.95 extra? You better believe it. Worth 4x that.

Top Bottom