• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just do the drowning technique, it is far easier. If you insist on the harder route it is cleaner to put a couple of pellets from a pellet gun than the .22.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Suppressors are quiet....

If you do catch them in a cage, you can usually shoot them with a 22 just fine. Anything larger can get messy.
    I did see what a 5.56 does to a rat while still in one of those Havahart type cages. Let's just say the rat didn't make it, the cage didn't make it either. Blew that rat to pieces then through a big hole out the other side of the cage. Everything, including the shooter got spattered.

I clapped. It was absolutely beautiful. :yesway:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I know(last time I checked) that it's illegal to relocate racoons in Indiana, so it will have to be dispatched one way or another. All I have atm is a 1911, a 22LR would be sufficient but I'm not in a position to buy another gun atm.

I know somebody with a coon trap but I can only imagine how messy it will get blasting it with my 45acp...

A large trash can filled with water works too. Provided it's large enough to hold the live trap of course.

Edit: BBI beat me to it. I guess I need to start reading to the end of threads.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I've been told by a friend --
    Duke's dog proof coon traps (lots of places sell 'em): https://www.flemingtraps.com/duke-dog-proof-racoon-trap.html

Attach to deck/heavy object/tree, stuff a marshmallow in there and you'll have success on night #1 or #2.
    Euthanize. Shooting is actually the safest method, though a bat/shovel/heavy timber will also work.
    Not for the wemmin folk.

Don't forget the 3rd part of the 3 S's.
    Repeat after me: "I have no recollection of the events you describe Senator."

Peel back the grass so that you can put it back on top of the fresh dirt.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A few years ago when the tree rat infestation was out of hand we had a water slide into a large bucket of water. It was very effective. Very effective.

We've got a ton of squirrels in our yard, but we have two large oak trees that produce plenty of acorns. They don't seem to bother anything though. The two dogs are too old to chase them anymore, and I think they and the cat all think they're just other "pets" and they all seem to get along. :): The dogs (both 13 years old) can literally walk within 5 or 6 feet of the squirrels out in the yard and neither the squirrels nor the dogs seem to even care that the others are there.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    We've got a ton of squirrels in our yard, but we have two large oak trees that produce plenty of acorns. They don't seem to bother anything though. The two dogs are too old to chase them anymore, and I think they and the cat all think they're just other "pets" and they all seem to get along. :): The dogs (both 13 years old) can literally walk within 5 or 6 feet of the squirrels out in the yard and neither the squirrels nor the dogs seem to even care that the others are there.

That's just embarrassing.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    When I live trap them I put a 4'X4' cheap plywood underneath. That way they can't tear up the yard and fill the cage. If it's a big one, get him out ASAP before it tears up the pan and rods. Then I just loop a rope around the handle and off to the pond to see how long they can hold their breath.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Here's what I found on the DNR website:

Resident landowners and tenants can trap a raccoon that is causing damage on their own property without a permit from the DNR. The raccoon must be euthanized or released within the county of capture on private property in which you have permission to release the raccoon. In order to prevent the spread of disease, the DNR encourages homeowners to safely and humanely euthanize the raccoons, if possible. If you do not want to trap the raccoon yourself, contact a licensed nuisance wild animal control operator.

I'm glad I dropped them at a friends who gave me permission and has acreage. He thought he might hunt them for fun and eradicate them, but I doubt he ever did.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

That's just embarrassing.

:lmfao:

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    There are new animal cruelty laws now in effect. I don't know who is judging "cruelty". Seems open ended to me. Suffocation and drowning were mentioned along with strangulation. I can say I may or may not have done this: roll peanut butter in a slice of lunchmeat and place it in a set box trap. Tomorrow, collect the cage and its contents. Set the cage beside your truck and run a shop-vac hose from truck toward the cage. Cover cage and hose with drop cloth. Start truck to let it warm up while you have coffee. In ten minutes, remove all materials and dispose of critter.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We either live-trap and relocated, or air rifle. Depends on my mood.

Lunch meat, cheese, cat food, whatever as bait. Gets raccoon and opossum pretty easily.

Skunks, too, but that is another problem altogether.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Had resident skunk under my deck about 15 years ago. I squirted straight ammonia between the boards a couple of times and he went elsewhere. Couldn't take his own medicine I guess.

Top Bottom