• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had resident skunk under my deck about 15 years ago. I squirted straight ammonia between the boards a couple of times and he went elsewhere. Couldn't take his own medicine I guess.

We have used ammonia before. Straight up Janitorial industrial strength tear jerking ammonia.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Had resident skunk under my deck about 15 years ago. I squirted straight ammonia between the boards a couple of times and he went elsewhere. Couldn't take his own medicine I guess.

Wonder if that would work on raccoons

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I got the raccoons out from under my mini barn and my neighbor's deck with ammonia.
    Buy some cheap tennis balls. They come in a sealed tube. Open the tube and fill it with ammonia and put the lid back on the balls are under the ammonia. Let them soak for a day. Then roll them into your crawlspace. The smell will drive them out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You don't want to attempt to shoot that critter in the cage. It can get real messy and emotionally disturbing while you are torturing the critter to death trying to hit the moving target. Even if you get lucky, it's still messy with blood, brains, body fluids, etc.

Drowning is the most humane way to handle this. It's over very quick.

There is plenty of water around Columbus. Make a dry run to figure the best place for you in advance. Easy access, least mud, few eyes watching, not iced in, etc. Public access boat ramps are good.

Just drop the roped cage in the water for 3-5 minutes and drag it back out. It'd be great if the waterway was moving and appropriate for putting the body back into. Other critters gotta eat too.

If you don't have a truck, figure in advance how to protect your carpet from urine, droppings, claws and teeth. Leather gloves are handy and a long dog leash with a clip is a very good rope for the cage.

Plan to leave quickly so you are less likely to have to deal with looky lews asking why you didn't like your pet cat.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You don't want to attempt to shoot that critter in the cage. It can get real messy and emotionally disturbing while you are torturing the critter to death trying to hit the moving target. Even if you get lucky, it's still messy with blood, brains, body fluids, etc.

Drowning is the most humane way to handle this. It's over very quick.

There is plenty of water around Columbus. Make a dry run to figure the best place for you in advance. Easy access, least mud, few eyes watching, not iced in, etc. Public access boat ramps are good.

Just drop the roped cage in the water for 3-5 minutes and drag it back out. It'd be great if the waterway was moving and appropriate for putting the body back into. Other critters gotta eat too.

If you don't have a truck, figure in advance how to protect your carpet from urine, droppings, claws and teeth. Leather gloves are handy and a long dog leash with a clip is a very good rope for the cage.

Plan to leave quickly so you are less likely to have to deal with looky lews asking why you didn't like your pet cat.

This...

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    If you do live trap it make a point of taking it somewhere and killing it (somewhere legal yadda yadda) and do not merely relocate. It is not a mercy to the animal and generally just dumps a lost and angry animal into another's territory, essentially obligating them to fight to the death.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you do live trap it make a point of taking it somewhere and killing it (somewhere legal yadda yadda) and do not merely relocate. It is not a mercy to the animal and generally just dumps a lost and angry animal into another's territory, essentially obligating them to fight to the death.

And screwing with the eco system. Like relocating Ferrells. Just do not do it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I get raccoons on my back porch once in awhile. Usually they run straight up my big oak tree when I come outside. I grab my flashlight and 177 pellet gun. Shine light on them and they just stare right at you
    1 shot thru the eye drops them from the tree then usually 1 or 2 more at point blank finishes them off.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Awhile back I had one on my deck getting into my grease catcher on my grill. He actually damaged my grill getting to it.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I caught a record 31 last year. I use a live trap and wrapped the bait area of it in steal mesh and saftey wiring it so they cant reach in to get the bait and have to go in the trap to get the bait. Put a cup of dry dog food in, a cement block on top. Usually works overnight or the second night. Works so good I made 3 setups. Many times last year I caught 3 at a time. I take out to a buddies property and we ( my buddy and I) release them then introduce them to a 12ga, kinda a grounded trap shoot. Its a blast no pun intended. Slice them from stem to stern and they become coyote bait. Works great for getting rid of both critters. My buddy cleared the area of coyotes and some opossums. It makes for a fun coyote hunt for him and alot of his friends.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've been told by a friend --
    Duke's dog proof coon traps (lots of places sell 'em): https://www.flemingtraps.com/duke-dog-proof-racoon-trap.html

Attach to deck/heavy object/tree, stuff a marshmallow in there and you'll have success on night #1 or #2.
    Euthanize. Shooting is actually the safest method, though a bat/shovel/heavy timber will also work.
    Not for the wemmin folk.

Don't forget the 3rd part of the 3 S's.
    Repeat after me: "I have no recollection of the events you describe Senator."

Peel back the grass so that you can put it back on top of the fresh dirt.

A buddy of mine lent me one of these traps and a crossbow pistol...my brother lent me a 22LR for good measure...with any luck, I can eliminate the target without leaving my property... :patriot:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Some years back in Fishers, a couple of large raccoons came into my attic by tearing through the flashing around an old chimney in my garage.
    I covered the hole in the flashing with a board and cement block.

I was able to get one of them locked out when I saw it go out the garage door.

I tried calling DNR and got nowhere.

I finally got a Fishers cop to come by and showed it to him.
    He saw my safe and asked if I was a collector.
    I said "yes", and found that he was also on the old C+RFFL Mailing list and knew some of the same people.

I told him I had a semi-auto .22 pistol and I could shoot it when it came out of the attic.
    BUT I hesitated to because I didn't want the gunshots to get the SWAT team down there! :):

He told me he'd put word out that if any gunshots were reported that it was OK.

He gave me his cell # and told me to call him when I got it.

I lured it out of the attic with some old hamburger.

I used sub-sonic hollow point .22 LR rounds to kill it with.

Got one good shot at it, then unloaded the rest of the 10 round mag at it.
    Ended up hitting it 8 times as it ran around.

It still took it over half a minute to stop kicking.

I called the cop back, and he took the carcass in a garbage bag.
    Said he knew somebody who ate them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some years back in Fishers, a couple of large raccoons came into my attic by tearing through the flashing around an old chimney in my garage.
    I covered the hole in the flashing with a board and cement block.

I was able to get one of them locked out when I saw it go out the garage door.

I tried calling DNR and got nowhere.

I finally got a Fishers cop to come by and showed it to him.
    He saw my safe and asked if I was a collector.
    I said "yes", and found that he was also on the old C+RFFL Mailing list and knew some of the same people.

I told him I had a semi-auto .22 pistol and I could shoot it when it came out of the attic.
    BUT I hesitated to because I didn't want the gunshots to get the SWAT team down there! :):

He told me he'd put word out that if any gunshots were reported that it was OK.

He gave me his cell # and told me to call him when I got it.

I lured it out of the attic with some old hamburger.

I used sub-sonic hollow point .22 LR rounds to kill it with.

Got one good shot at it, then unloaded the rest of the 10 round mag at it.
    Ended up hitting it 8 times as it ran around.

It still took it over half a minute to stop kicking.

I called the cop back, and he took the carcass in a garbage bag.
    Said he knew somebody who ate them.

My family ate them. They would eat about anything you could skin and cook. I have long since lost my taste for game.

Top Bottom