Gifting a gun from Texas resident son to IN resident mother? Need a FFL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Why couldn't the OP buy the gun for his MIL. As long as she is a proper person I thought it was legal to buy for someone else. OP and BIL could do the transfer themselves and then gift it to MIL.

blink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I think he already owns the gun in Texas, therefor he must transfer it to be legal.

BIL is from Texas. I assumed the OP (smiledochill) is an Indiana resident. Transfer the gun from BIL to OP to be legal getting it into the state. MIL can stay out of it until she opens the gift.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I thought the 4473 did not have details on the make, model, or serial number of the gun. I thought the 4473 and NICS was to verify that the receiver of a firearm is legal to possess a firearm.

What part of the process "transfers" any specific firearm?

In the absence of registration, how can a specific firearm be "transferred? Somebody please explain what I am missing.

If my MIL wants a gun and asks me for one, she gets it. She isn't going to any FFL to prove what we both already know, that she is a proper person under the law to possess a firearm.

This whole tread is very confusing with people dancing around the real questions.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I thought the 4473 did not have details on the make, model, or serial number of the gun. I thought the 4473 and NICS was to verify that the receiver of a firearm is legal to possess a firearm.

In the absence of registration, how can a specific firearm be "transferred? Somebody please explain what I am missing.

If my MIL wants a gun and asks me for one, she gets it. She isn't going to any FFL to prove what we both already know, that she is a proper person under the law to possess a firearm.

This whole tread is very confusing with people dancing around the real questions.
    False. I don't dance. Ever.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

It is just what the feds require when a handgun crosses state lines, has to go thru an FFL to be legal,

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana

The FFL is required to put in the details on the 3rd page of the 4473.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My BIL is here from Texas and has a handgun he is going to give to my MIL as a gift for Christmas. He purchased from FFL dealer in Texas, transported legally with him to IN and plans to give it to her in the next week or so. I know there are situations where gifting a gun is different than a private sale but I don't have the confidence to say whether he is OK or whether he has to do a transfer through a FFL?

What is the verdict?

Why couldn't the OP buy the gun for his MIL. As long as she is a proper person I thought it was legal to buy for someone else. OP and BIL could do the transfer themselves and then gift it to MIL.

I thought about this but one of the questions is are you buying or in this case transferring the gun for yourself. Legally the OP would not be if he was doing so for the MIL. That is why I suggested to give/loan the gun as a gift then if a transfer had to be completed anyway then put it in the MIL's name. It would be good for her to see the process and how simple it is in case she decides she wants another. It would also be a good time while at the GS/FFL to go through accessories and get her some eye and ear protection, ammo and whatever else a good son and SIL would get for her and make her feel special.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    So firearms are indeed tracked by make, model, and serial number? So there is in fact, registration?

Yes, the information is recorded on the 4473 form. Along with your DL information.

The information is not given over the phone or sent in when purchasing ONE item. The FFL is required to retain the 4473. If there's ever a problem, the ATF can request to look at such forms.

If you purchase 2 or more items at a time (or same FFL in 5 days), the FFL has an extra form to fill out and it gets faxed. So at this point, someone else also has the information.

Last edited:

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Actually, I'd be glad to. But they are on the other side of town from Greenwood. But, if I do it, I want Gunner to volunteer an hour of his time at a food bank for opening his mouth to donate someone else's time.

How about this, tonight I spent 2 hours Christmas Caroling with our church men's chorus at a couple of local nursing homes, and next Saturday I am going to be serving the homeless a hot Christmas meal.

Gunner

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Well, if you like announcing on an internet forum that you break laws related to guns go right ahead... if the parties are residents of different states then an FFL transfer is required. The "transfer" is a background check to confirm that the purchaser is a proper person (nothing more, nothing less), and again, is required when the parties are residents of differing states.

I would go through a FFL just to be on the safe side

or to be legal, whichever you prefer

Top Bottom