• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    After reading this thread. What is he verdict on a the xd and xds series vs the flocks. My buddy is a cop and prefers his glocks to anything however I've always been a fan of the xd's just from the way they feel and shoot and I also like the extra safety. But durability and reliability wise are the glocks better?

The problem with trying to determine if one is more reliable than another is that there's not much in the way of actual data. And modern guns are now so reliable (in general) that it is exceedingly difficult to establish a meaningful difference. If an M&P has a malfunction 4 rounds in 1000 and the Glock has a malfuction 3 rounds in 1000, would you ignore all the other differences between them? I think it would be silly to do so. Especially since you can't be certain the ammo wasn't the main difference between them.

Only a weapon with truly poor reliability (remington R51 recently comes to mind) would be excluded.

And it will go so far as to say that reliability isn't the most crucial thing in a modern gun. Reliablility for the most popular brands and models is good enough that you should reasonably consider things like ergonomics above all how well you shoot it. No gun is 100%. Far better to get a 99.3% gun that you shoot very well and train to deal with inevitable malfunctions.

Glocks and XDs alike can get bad ammo, which is far more variable than the guns themselves.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wouldn't. Good luck getting tight groups on the bad guy when your gun goes "click" instead of "bang." I like guns that run well with any ammo. Glocks are plenty accurate for their intended purpose. Defensive handgun use is not the same as squeezing off rounds at a leisurely pace for little groups on paper.

Well, if the proposition was having 90% reliability or 10% reliability, you'd have a point. I'll take the gun I hit better with at 95% reliability than the one that's 99% and I don't shoot as well as quickly.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I have a 43 and after exhaustive searching, researching, and comparing I ordered a 19 that delivers tomorrow. Seems to me that the 19 is going to be the jack of all trades for me.

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    once had a beratta 92 and for some reason ended up trading it for a sig 226 ... both were in 9mm. first trip to the range with the sig i noticed 2 things up front . the new sig was more accurate and had more muzzle flip , probably due to the slide being taller than on the 92. have neither now but consider both to be great guns . glocks ? you bet ! as far as reliability is concerned i not believe their is ANY gun , with possible of the ak series of rifles , that stand up so well to really hard use . glocks have been proven time & time again . as a side note i just noticed an article in may issue of combat handguns on the sig legion series of pistols. said in europe the double/single action trigger as on the sig's is still preferred there ....... they must have their good reasons or simply bound by tradition.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hmm, I was just getting ready to test out some Sig's too. I hear a lot of good things about them.

Don't let this thread stop you, check out as many makes and models as you can. We're fortunate to have a broad selection so everyone can find what works best for them.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    and it never hurts to have one Glock, or two, or three.......or a Sig P229 in 9mm, and 40 S&W......or a 1911 in stainless steel or blued, or three...... support the gun industry!!!!! Buy 'em all!!!!!

:shoot::ar15:

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I don't think there is really a need to go bigger than the 19/23 which are the compacts. The 17/22 are just a little larger if that is what you are looking for. You aren't gaining much once you move up in size aside from capacity. All are good to go though.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't think there is really a need to go bigger than the 19/23 which are the compacts. The 17/22 are just a little larger if that is what you are looking for. You aren't gaining much once you move up in size aside from capacity. All are good to go though.

I agree. I see very little value I'm anything bigger than a 19/23/32. You get enough grip and can use the largest mags if you want. In most cases, the capacity penalty is just a couple rounds, but the lighter weight and faster handling are great.

Jim1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2016
    Danville
    I bought a Sig P320 and I like the gun but I still prefer the G19 to carry... I think everyone should have at least one Glock they are just so Dang reliable... and good shooters...

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Good for everyone who does this. Sigs are a waste of money compared to a lot of other options out there. Glock and CZ primarily IMO

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Lets get back to the issue of the light primer strike on the sig. I carried sigs for years, and some ammo I would get light primer strikes, it happens with some ammo brands. I would call sig, they will pay for shipping, and have them replace all the springs.

I had light primer strikes with mine. Sold it. NOt just for that reason alone mind you. But really... 1K for a gun that has that issue.... sheesh.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I recently bought a Glock 19. I am not a hater or a fanboy. I have a Sig 226, H&K VP9, PPQ M2 45acp, and now the Glock. I like all of them for many reasons and some different reasons. I bought the G19 because I wanted a full size carry gun, and it fits that quite well. I was carrying a Shield and it is a good pistol also, but I wanted a full size option.

I thought I would never buy a Glock...but it does fit my hand pretty decently.

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    Being the OP on this thread, I hadn't checked it for some time and I'm really glad to see all of the great input. I was a life long Sig lover. When I look back at all of them I've had a 1911 Scorpion in 45, P245, p239 P229, P238...but I've also had Smiths, Rugers, Colts, Barettas A taurus, Kel tec and Im sure I've forgoten a few. In this case though I think there were two motivators. Fear of a click instead of a bang if I ever needed it away from the range. And the fact that I was EDC a .380. When I put those two together I just wasnt happy with the EDC aspect of the rig. I now EDC a Glock 43 Talo with +2 mag extensions IWB and could not be more comfortable.

RW97

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2016
    Muncie
    Had a sig P320 and loved, but over 1000 rounds through it, figured I should get a glock 19 to see what all the fuss is about and absoutley hated it, put 100 rounds through it and got rid of it.

Last edited:

Shawn76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2016
    nowhere
    If I had to choose only 1 gun to carry,I'd pick my Sig P229 Legion. I'm not a fan of how any of the Glocks feltin my hand. The minute I picked up the Legion,I done a lot of reading on them,watched some videos and decided to buy the 229.
    I don't carry it often,I carry my Ruger LC380 since I wanted a small edc gun that no one knows I am carrying.
    My next purchase will be a Ruger SR1911 or a Ruger 357 Magnum with a 6" barrel.
    Glocks will never be a gun I will ever look at to buy.
    Sigs do cost more,but I have not had a Sig fail on me at the range.

Top Bottom