• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    I have a Glock 22.

Its a nice pistol.

Its accurate (although I shoot it a little left).

I have a problem with it though.

Its violent as hell. Its not fun to shoot. You cringe just to think about picking it up.

My 44 mag Dan Wesson stainless telephone pole is less violent than this thing.

I put 100 rounds down range last weekend through it, and my wrists still hurt.

Is something broken on this Glock, or am I doing something wrong?

It the 22 known for being a recoil monster? Is there any thing that makes a huge difference in recoil?

Thanks guys.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I believe that the .40 is quite a bit higher pressure than a .45 ACP, and have heard that this makes it feel a little more violent than a .45. One thing I see quite a bit is people used to shooting heavier guns and don't have as firm a grip as is really needed when shooting tupperware. I love my Glock 22 and have never felt it was violent, even when testing hot carry loads.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Interesting.

My friends HKusp does not feel violent - its a 40.

The Walther P99 does not feel violent - its a 40.

My other friends XD does not feel violent - its a 40.

Makes me wonder if something is broken?

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    What would be broken?
    I love the G22 in .40. I've shot several different .40's and have never thought the G22 reacted much differently than they do.
    1,000's of police officers nation wide, men and woman :): use it well.
    The recoil is different from a 9mm and .45 and takes getting used to but shouldn't be too much to handle.
    Don't know :dunno:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Jon, do you shoot a lot of other Glocks, or is the 22 your first real experience with them? The grip angle is off by a few degrees from what most pistol manufacturers consider "normal".

I've not shot a .40 Glock so I don't know for sure. But regarding the USP, that pistol was designed around the .40, and then re-chambered for 9mm. The Glock was the other way around. It's one of the reasons the USP is a very light recoiling pistol compared to a lot of others. The fact it's massive helps too ;)

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    you gotta broke GLOCK22? ill give you $100 cash today...

40's have a lttle snap to them but not anything that hurts..as far as it having more recoil than a 44mag, theres NO way. ive got a 357mag that leaves a little sting in your palm and a 44mag is bigger..

sounds like you need to down-grade to a much smaller cal. 25cal perhaps

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have shot a few .40 Glocks and can't shoot them worth a damn. I can't shoot most .40s worth a damn though (a few exceptions such as the BHP in .40 and Beretta 96). The round is just too snappy for me. I prefer 9mm or .45acp.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I own a Glock 35 that I plan on using for competition. Below is some info I got from Custom Glock Racing that may help:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+3]Recoil Springs[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]UPDATE:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]We just received the new ISMI 11 pound recoil springs. These should eliminate or greatly reduce the need for cutting 13s. I have not done extensive testing yet but they should work great in the 9mm guns and the compacts.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Effects of a lighter spring:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Recoil is transferred to the shooter in a shorter duration of time because the slide is moving at a higher velocity. This is often perceived as less recoil and reduced muzzle flip.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]With a lighter spring the shooter also has less force to counteract, or you don’t have to work as hard. This usually reduces muzzle flip.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Less force to counteract reduces the odds of producing a limp wrist style jam.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]A lighter spring will result is reduced muzzle dip when the slide closes keeping sights steadier and on target for a faster follow-up shot.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Light springs are particularly helpful to smaller shooters like children, women or anyone else having trouble keeping their wrists locked.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Effects of a Heavier spring:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Recoil is transferred to the shooter over a longer duration of time due to lower slide velocities.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Slower slides equal a longer recovery time for the shooter.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The shooter does more work, as there is more force to counteract. This often causes and increase in muzzle flip.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The chances of a limp wrist style jam are increased, as there is more force working to unlock your wrists.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The chance of the slide short stroking and causing a feed jam is increased.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Increased muzzle dip when the slide closes for a slower follow-up shot.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Brass Ejection:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]It does not matter how far away it lands or if it is in a neat pile. You are there to shoot not to pick up brass.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Frame Battering:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]A non-issue for Glock pistols. It falls under the category of Internet Nonsense along with the idea that light springs cause kabooms and broken parts.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Spring Selection and Testing:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]There is no magic weight that is perfect for all shooters, loads and guns. Each shooter must evaluate and test various weights to determine what is best for their application. I recommend testing spring weights using the Matt Burkett Timing Drills.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]For rough tuning try different standard weights. For fine-tuning, take a spring slightly heavier than you prefer and trim it until it is just right, this is a trial and error process.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]I use and recommend ISMI recoil springs for Glock pistols.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]I do not recommend changing the springs or guiderod in the subcompact pistols. The doublespring rod system works fairly well and I have not found anything better on the market yet for those pistols.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]For the midsize guns (19/23/32) the free length of the spring is too long and prevents the slide from fully cycling. Start by removing 5 coils and then check for full travel. Trim until the slide has full travel then check for proper lockup.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]You can go too light:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The firing pin spring can overpower an old or too light recoil spring causing the slide to pull slightly out of battery as you pull the trigger resulting in a light primer strike. If you have off center light primer strike this is probably the cause.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Feeding jams. The slide can be so fast that the mag spring cannot keep up.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Testing Springs:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]To test a new spring and get a realistic idea of what it will do we reccomend do a set of Matt Burkett Timing drills for each spring. This will help you determine the best one for you and your load. See the drills here[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Recommend starting springs weights:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G17 13lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G19 13lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G20 15lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G21 13lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G22 15lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G23 13-15lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G24 13lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G31 15lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G32 13-15lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G34 13lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G35 15lb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]See update above on new 11 lb springs.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Matt’s spring setups:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G34 Production 13lb minus 4 coils[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G35 Limited 15lb minus 3 coils[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G17 Open 13lb minus 5 coils[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]G19C Carry 13lb minus 6 coils[/FONT] Buy ISMI Springs

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie

40's have a lttle snap to them but not anything that hurts..as far as it having more recoil than a 44mag, theres NO way. ive got a 357mag that leaves a little sting in your palm and a 44mag is bigger..

:lmfao:

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    What would be broken?
    I love the G22 in .40. I've shot several different .40's and have never thought the G22 reacted much differently than they do.
    1,000's of police officers nation wide, men and woman :): use it well.
    The recoil is different from a 9mm and .45 and takes getting used to but shouldn't be too much to handle.
    Don't know :dunno:

I know this. I love my Walther P99. Its a 40. Its polymer. It doesn't kick nearly as bad as the Glock.

Jon, do you shoot a lot of other Glocks, or is the 22 your first real experience with them? The grip angle is off by a few degrees from what most pistol manufacturers consider "normal".

I've not shot a .40 Glock so I don't know for sure. But regarding the USP, that pistol was designed around the .40, and then re-chambered for 9mm. The Glock was the other way around. It's one of the reasons the USP is a very light recoiling pistol compared to a lot of others. The fact it's massive helps too ;)

This is indeed my first Glock.

No &

I have a witness. Feign can testify that the Glock kicks harder than my 44mag &

Bite me.

I have shot a few .40 Glocks and can't shoot them worth a damn. I can't shoot most .40s worth a damn though (a few exceptions such as the BHP in .40 and Beretta 96). The round is just too snappy for me. I prefer 9mm or .45acp.

This is beyond snappy. This is "I hate to shoot this fu#$#$cking gun."

Whats worse is I have to train with the G22 when I go into the academy in a few months.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    The Glock 22 is a bit snappy, but I've never noticed it being violent. The .500S&W I thought was a tad violent but the Glock? Nah.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to have a Glock 22 and a Glock 23. They were both unpleasant to shoot, especially with stouter 155gr loads. Aside from the fact that the grip is too big for my hands, I would never own one again.

I think .40S&W is a pointless compromise that nets you very little (except for certain competitions), and costs you too much in added felt recoil over the 9mm. Regardless of the hordes who will claim "My Glock .40 never malfunctions in 200,000,000 rounds!," they are not as reliable as the 9mm Glocks, nor will they ever be.

Glock 17, 19, 26, 34 :thumbsup:

Glocks in .40S&W ... not so much.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I understand about the Glocks being too big for your hands Rhino. My son has a problem with the Glock grip also. But then again, he's 7.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I love my Glock 22. My Glock .40 never malfunctions in 200,000,000 rounds! After talking to my partner here at work (who happends to be a police officer when hes not working here), he said that his department runs training drills were they shoot into cars throught windshields and windows. They found that the 40 out performs 9 or 45. The 9 drops too much after penetrating and bounces off the dumby sitting inside. The 45 and the 40 both penetrate windshield and dumby but the 45 drops alot. To hit the dumpy with the 40 you need to aim 6 inches high. The 45 was like 8 or 10 inches high... so theres one example of 40 out performing.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    My Glock 22 did malfunction on the 200,000,001 round!!!!:stickpoke:

It is definately snappier than the 9mms or other .40 pistols. I understand what you are saying about the .44 mags, my Redhawk w/ 7.5" barrel is like a .22 in comparison, but it just rises straight up and over your head vs.... wanting to "jump" out of your hands like the G22.

Although, the pink glock pic was funny!!!:thumbsup:

Top Bottom