• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm sorry, I just can't believe anyone would have a hard time shooting a .40 cal. Kicking harder than a .44 mag? I would have my gun checked as for this to happen it would have to be missing something key... like the recoil spring. LOL That, or you have some SERIOUSLY over charged reloads.

I can't imagine a .40 hurting someone's wrist.

How much do you weigh?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I disagree Full-Auto. The grip angle isn't right for everyone. He says it's his first Glock, could be the stupid Glock Grip is just wrong for him/his hand.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I'd have to disagree too. The grip angle isn't that much different than other pistols. It's a small movement of the wrist to accommodate the Glock grip. Unless the wrist is/has been injured in some way I'd be surprised that the grip would be a major issue.

That being said, the Glocks are more flippy than other guns in .40. Maybe with a bad wrist the problem becomes worse with the Glock. Hell I don't know I'm just guessing.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I'd have to disagree too. The grip angle isn't that much different than other pistols. It's a small movement of the wrist to accommodate the Glock grip. Unless the wrist is/has been injured in some way I'd be surprised that the grip would be a major issue.

That being said, the Glocks are more flippy than other guns in .40. Maybe with a bad wrist the problem becomes worse with the Glock. Hell I don't know I'm just guessing.

I agree with TomN. The grip angle is not causing this!

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I disagree Full-Auto. The grip angle isn't right for everyone. He says it's his first Glock, could be the stupid Glock Grip is just wrong for him/his hand.
    I never said the grip angle was right for everyone. Ergonomic or not, the angle isn't that out of the ordinary that it would cause actual pain in your wrist from firing it. I've fired just about every auto cartridge known to man and I've never in my life had any auto that caused me physical pain to shoot - not even a .50 AE Desert Eagle. I consider the .40 Smith to be a mild auto cartridge... I owned a Glock 20 10mm which I fired plenty of hot 200gr loads out of and it was quite comfortable.

Either he's got a physical condition that makes his wrist sensitive to recoil that the rest of us can't relate to, or his gun has something seriously wrong with it... although I think this is unlikely given he hasn't reported any malfunctions.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    A buddy showed me this quote, interesting. I also know that Gaston Glock chose the design because of the ergonomics of the human hand. Doesn't mean that it works for everyone but it is the proper position for absorbing shock. Check out proper punching in martial arts, you see this. Anyway...good luck in finding something, maybe Glock isn't for you.

"Ergonomic studies, however, have shown the Glock grip angle to be ideal for the average hand. What that means is that on average, a person with no previous experience with handguns will find that the Glock grip angle allows the bore to be lined up properly while the hand/wrist angle is kept at the angle that is most comfortable.

It's also not accurate to call it the Glock grip angle. The Luger, the H&K P7, the Steyr Model M pistols, and the Remington P51 pistol, to name just a few use it as well. Steyr calls it the "ideal grip angle"

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I shot my G22 today, 60 rounds of 165 gr WWB. The size and weight of this full size Glock make it feel fine to me.

However, when I shot with my left (weak) hand, it seemed to really jump and have recoil. So why the difference between right and left? Grip strength, and just being used to holding the pistol.

So without being insulting, maybe your hand doesn't fit it or you don't have a firm grip. Or maybe something is wrong with it: you and a friend should each compare yours with someone else's G22 and determine if it is your gun or you.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    No stove piping to say or mis-feeds. :-)

Not sure why I hurt when I shoot the Glock. The only reason why I purchased it is due to the fact that the LEO academy Im going into requires you to train with the G22. :-(

Not going to be fun...

Could I have too firm of a grip on the glock?

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    A buddy showed me this quote, interesting. I also know that Gaston Glock chose the design because of the ergonomics of the human hand. Doesn't mean that it works for everyone but it is the proper position for absorbing shock. Check out proper punching in martial arts, you see this.

I take Muay Thai. I would have to shoot my gun gangster style to immitate the punching hand angle (we punch with a horizontal fist). ;)

However there is something to be said about a raked out grip angle and accuracy. Look at most high end bullseye target pistols. They usually have large grip angles.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Could I have too firm of a grip on the glock?

I don't think so. I shoot with a really firm grip and pretty much locked wrists. All recoil is absorbed with movement at the elbows.

Does the grip feel large in your hand? I know some people find Glocks too big of a grip. Not getting a great grip on the pistol could affect the way you handle recoil.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    I don't think so. I shoot with a really firm grip and pretty much locked wrists. All recoil is absorbed with movement at the elbows.

Does the grip feel large in your hand? I know some people find Glocks too big of a grip. Not getting a great grip on the pistol could affect the way you handle recoil.

It does feel overly large to me.

Although, the HK USP does too, and I shoot it just fine.

Top Bottom